VSONIC GR07 Impressions Thread
Apr 11, 2014 at 5:47 PM Post #6,212 of 7,982
Sidegrade, not upgrade. The GR07 will be more neutral tonally (might be boring if you like the warmth of the EPH), with better extension on both ends and a cooler overall tone.
I'm considering gr07. Is it going to be a reasonable upgrade from yamaha eph-100? 

Apr 12, 2014 at 10:12 PM Post #6,215 of 7,982
No problem man
smily_headphones1.gif
Maybe check out the SD3 or W40 as an outright upgrade; you have to go up quite a bit in price to beat the EPH, it's a real steal for the price.

i don't know about that, the gr07 is pretty much near top or top tier in terms of universals along with w4r shure se535 among others according to joker 

ud be hard pressed to find something "better" than the gr07 unless you go customs i would say

Apr 13, 2014 at 10:15 AM Post #6,216 of 7,982
After 6000 posts I'd guess everything has been said. but after owning my Vsonic GR07 Mk2 for about 3 weeks or so, all I can say is these are absolutely brilliant.

In particular, if you like or own the Etymotic HF3/4/5 and love it, but would like a bit more low-end and a ever so slightly more musical presentation, look no further. The timbre on the high end reminds me alot of the HF5, just as detailed if not more, and with an ever so slightly less sharp texture to it.

They also have similar transient characteristics in my opinion, not overly sharp peaks, focusing more on the texture and detail rather than piercing your eardrum with the crack of snares or kicks.

Like the Etymotics, coming from more "normal" dynamic headphones, their sound signature can seem a bit sterile and less eveloping or smooth at first, but once it clicks with you, they are seriously addictive.

Also more bass and to me a bit more stereo presence than the Etymotics, making movie soundtracks feel decently spacious despite neutral-leaning headphones generally not having the same width.

Apr 13, 2014 at 11:09 AM Post #6,217 of 7,982
Couple of months back I remember some comparisons between the gr07 and the monster gratitudes and they were considered better then the gr07s by alot of members. Yet no one is really bringing them up nowadays. A pair of them is being sold for 50$ here in OZ. Are they still worth it and better then the gr07s ?

Apr 13, 2014 at 12:33 PM Post #6,218 of 7,982
  Couple of months back I remember some comparisons between the gr07 and the monster gratitudes and they were considered better then the gr07s by alot of members. Yet no one is really bringing them up nowadays. A pair of them is being sold for 50$ here in OZ. Are they still worth it and better then the gr07s ?

I have not heard of them but if they are better than the GR07s according to a LOT of members, why do we have 415 pages of GR07 Appreciation thread while the Gratitude have not?

Apr 13, 2014 at 2:15 PM Post #6,219 of 7,982
  I have not heard of them but if they are better than the GR07s according to a LOT of members, why do we have 415 pages of GR07 Appreciation thread while the Gratitude have not?

possibly the bad rep that monster has here on head fi lol

i was looking at those gratitudes as well, their pretty nice looking and i would think better for on the go (its not the over ear style) 3 button remote, what looks like a completely sealed design with decent length nozzles

i wouldve snapped up a pair of amazon for 60-80$ but it doesn't ship up to canada unfortunately and when it does, the import tax and the shipping cost more than the earphones themselves 

in terms of accessories it looks like its a the same quantity as the vsonics but monsters tips and accessories are pretty high quality to begin with. 

if anyone has experience here with the gratitudes please respond! love to hear your thoughts compared to the gr07s

Apr 13, 2014 at 2:39 PM Post #6,220 of 7,982
I agree but if you look at his review of the EPH you'll see it comes in fairly close to the GR07 in terms of overall rating.
i don't know about that, the gr07 is pretty much near top or top tier in terms of universals along with w4r shure se535 among others according to joker 

ud be hard pressed to find something "better" than the gr07 unless you go customs i would say

Apr 13, 2014 at 3:33 PM Post #6,222 of 7,982
While the GR07 does a lot of things right, I wouldn't call it top tier. The resolution through the mids and treble isn't quite up to snuff imo due to a resonant peak in the lower treble. Cymbals are great test for any top tier earphone, as the attack, decay and overall tonality are one of the hardest things to get right. Cymbals on the GR07 sound a bit etched and lack the correctness of top tier iems imo.

I find the MH1 to sound clearly more correct than the GR07 through the mids and treble, although not the bass. Mids are clear and distinct, and cymbals have sharp attack and smooth decay, with none of the tizzy or etched qualities of the GR07.

The MH1's cable does suck terribly, but a recabled version is available through ZMF Headphones for the same price as the GR07, and I actually prefer this MH1's cable. The wire is from Btg Audio, and it's lighter and more flexible than the GR07's cable, making for an easier over the ear fit.

Apr 13, 2014 at 3:34 PM Post #6,223 of 7,982
Not necessarily, they are different sounding phones so they will probably appeal to different tastes; vegetarians aren't going to buy filet mingon no matter how cheap it is.
With the current pricing of the GR07 Classic Edition at only $99 makes it even far better value than the EPH100.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back