VSONIC GR07 Impressions Thread
Jul 14, 2011 at 4:38 PM Post #226 of 7,982
Is $141.41 a good price for the EX600?  Found them here

Sony EX600

Yes.. that's where I ordered them from.

HJE900 isolates better. EX600 is definitely more of an indoor iem. But sound quality-wise, I think the EX600 whups the HJE900's butt fairly easy.

Agreed on both counts.. the EX600 runs circles around the HJE.. with one leg.

Jul 14, 2011 at 5:16 PM Post #227 of 7,982
In technical capability I have no doubt, but it seems like apples to oranges sound signature wise. Give someone who loves the hell out of the HJE900's the EX600 and they'll probably complain that there isn't enough mid-bass rumble and that the presentation isn't intimate enough or something like that.

Quote:
Agreed on both counts.. the EX600 runs circles around the HJE.. with one leg.

Jul 14, 2011 at 7:22 PM Post #228 of 7,982
The HJE900 can be on par with certain recordings but yes, the 600s are clearly better. Very different too, the HJE900s will certainly be more "fun" to some. 

Jul 14, 2011 at 8:04 PM Post #229 of 7,982
@vwinter
Haha! Timbre was actually the second word that came in my head, but I did not bother mentioning it as it's definitely a concept that I just can't tell with my ears and brain at the moment.

My GR07 has about 25 hours of burn-in now, and the pianos in the The Scientist and Kiss the Rain definitely sound better today than yesterday. I even compared again with my M50 to make sure it's not all in my head. I actually enjoy those two songs now as long as I bring down the volume to avoid the harshness(?) of the ssss and sssshhh sounds.

Enjoyed a bunch of Linkin Park, Shinedown, Hoobastank, and Metallica today. Really liking the GR07 now (as long as the I bring the volume down to bring the highs to a tolerable level).

The bass has gotten a little bit stronger compared to yesterday. Compared to my M50, the bass still has slightly less volume, and a notch slower (I think this is the "decay" that folks talk about?).

I seem to find it easier to notice details on songs with the GR07, and I think the strong highs are causing that. Regardless, if/when the highs go just a little bit softer, I think I'll be content and keep this as my all-day-everyday IEM.

Jul 15, 2011 at 4:34 AM Post #230 of 7,982
Hi guys, this is my first post here.

I have a/b'ed the EX600, EX1000 and the GR07 on multiple occasions using Sony hybrid tips. I believe that the GR07 clearly pulls ahead of the EX600 in terms of smoothness, bass presence, and overall tonal balance. I felt there was a certain grainy quality to the midrange of the EX600, or what others would describe as dryness. Overall, I consider the GR07 a much safer choice as its sound signature is generally more versatile than the EX600.

On the other hand, the EX1000 and the GR07 sound more similar to one another than to the EX600. The EX1000s have the GR07 beat in terms of dynamics, which I feel is a major weakness for the GR07, making it sound flat in comparison to the Sony flagship. As a result the EX1000s are more effortless in their presentation and less fatiguing. However I can't make any deeper comparisons without owning the EX1000s (the EX600 comparison was fairly straight forward however).

All that being said, I feel that right now GR07 is the mid-range value king. The EX1000 is great but at its price point there is a lot more competition.

Jul 15, 2011 at 10:37 AM Post #231 of 7,982

Interesting observations @ SodaBoy. Thanks for sharing with us, and please share more in the future. By the way, what do you mean when say the EX1000 has better dynamics? Are you saying it's a fuller sound? More 3-D sound? Thanks.
Quote:
Hi guys, this is my first post here.

I have a/b'ed the EX600, EX1000 and the GR07 on multiple occasions using Sony hybrid tips. I believe that the GR07 clearly pulls ahead of the EX600 in terms of smoothness, bass presence, and overall tonal balance. I felt there was a certain grainy quality to the midrange of the EX600, or what others would describe as dryness. Overall, I consider the GR07 a much safer choice as its sound signature is generally more versatile than the EX600.

On the other hand, the EX1000 and the GR07 sound more similar to one another than to the EX600. The EX1000s have the GR07 beat in terms of dynamics, which I feel is a major weakness for the GR07, making it sound flat in comparison to the Sony flagship. As a result the EX1000s are more effortless in their presentation and less fatiguing. However I can't make any deeper comparisons without owning the EX1000s (the EX600 comparison was fairly straight forward however).

All that being said, I feel that right now GR07 is the mid-range value king. The EX1000 is great but at its price point there is a lot more competition.

Jul 15, 2011 at 12:59 PM Post #232 of 7,982
In my opinion the EX1000s are more dynamic in the sense that it can reach lower and higher than the GR07s, giving a greater contrast between notes. I think a typical example of poor dynamics is the ibud, which doesn't have the range to jump from high to low or vice versa (makes songs sound the same), as it reaches neither deep enough or high enough.

The EX1000s also seem to be more forward in the mids, and has more energy and presence which also contributes to a greater sense of dynamics. In comparison, GR07 has less forward mids but has what I feel to be a significantly wider soundstage (which still impresses me). 

On a side note, I own an HD650, which has often been criticized for lack of dynamics at low volume. However, since the HD650 has no sibilance issues, it can be blasted at a higher volume without fear of listener fatigue which restores the dynamics and energy. The same can't be said of many IEMs which tend to have sibilance issues.

Jul 16, 2011 at 5:58 AM Post #233 of 7,982
Hello Folks!
I am new to all this and i find it fascinating!
I always suspected these should be a forum for the worlds most popular type of headphone..in ear!
I have an iRiver hi140 mp3/OGG player.
I have tried the Sound magic pl50 in ear phones..I found them insipid and not a patch on the pl30 phones that i now use and prefer!
Would anybody know how these Vsonic GR-07 would compare to the "Big" sound i get from my pl30,s?
Thanks D

Jul 16, 2011 at 8:45 AM Post #237 of 7,982
Has anyone tried any different tips on the GR-07's?  I picked up a variety pack of the monster gel and foam tips and the gels definitely do not stay on the GR-07's and although the foams are little tighter around the nozzle I feel that they may come off in the ear canal as well.  I think I may pick up the sony hybrids today and see how those go.

Jul 16, 2011 at 1:40 PM Post #238 of 7,982
I've tried Sony Hybrids (fake) and Comply T200 foam (beside stock tips). I'll check for Monster tips too some time later... As for now, I like Sony's the most. They are softer then stock tips and bring better treble extension then comply foam.. I suggest you buy the original one's as I think, these would work the best for VSonic GR07.

Jul 16, 2011 at 4:37 PM Post #239 of 7,982
Thanks for the advice I would be picking the tips up at best buy hopefully they have some in as I know I have picked up a pack of the Sony hybrids there before. I may also need to order some tips online do you know what size tips the gr07s take? I typically get the best seal out of biflanges but the stock ones are too small. Thanks again.

Jul 17, 2011 at 5:51 PM Post #240 of 7,982
Does anyone have a s9 with the GR07?  I am seriously considering canceling my SFlo preorder to get another s9.  Update...Well hopefully there are no issues JetAudio had a sale on the s9 through amazon for 204.99 for the 32gb model, I got the last one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back