VSonic GR07 Bass Edition Impressions
Dec 3, 2012 at 11:26 PM Post #47 of 2,697
for better clarity and detail, whilst sacrificing a bit on bass pick the mk2
for a more well rounded, easier to listen to experience pick the bass ed.

i think the bass ed is definitely better for rock, electronica, etc. and the mk2 is better for jazz, acoustic, etc.
id choose the bass ed for a more well rounded iem, and no sibilance issues when fully burned in, but you really cant go wrong by choosing either really. 

edit: 
fwiw i own a bass ed with 300 plus hours burn in and have listened to a fully burned in mk2. 

Can you say there is a noticeable difference in bass between the two? I can't seem to get to this link anymore.
http://www.headphiles.org/index.php/topic,2815.0/nowap.html

I remember it was a brief comparison about the details being less apparent on the bass edition, but I can't remember if it said anything about the bass.

Dec 4, 2012 at 12:24 AM Post #48 of 2,697
Quote:
Can you say there is a noticeable difference in bass between the two? I can't seem to get to this link anymore.
I remember it was a brief comparison about the details being less apparent on the bass edition, but I can't remember if it said anything about the bass.

www.headphiles.org/index.php?t=msg&th=2815&prevloaded=1&&start=

try the above posted link to see the short review of the 3 versions of GR07 written by Azathoth of headphiles.

Dec 4, 2012 at 6:56 AM Post #50 of 2,697

Yes to me there was a distinct difference. As someone mentioned it's not really more bass, but a different quality bass.
Also as mentioned in the main gr07 thread, using the different tips changes sq drastically.

Dec 4, 2012 at 7:07 AM Post #51 of 2,697
Yes to me there was a distinct difference. As someone mentioned it's not really more bass, but a different quality bass.
Also as mentioned in the main gr07 thread, using the different tips changes sq drastically.

Thanks. The reason I asked is I heard a rather annoying midbass peak on my brand new bass edition and it just made me think if the MK2 suffers from the same issue out of the box. I switched to MH1C gel tips now and the midbass hump has completely vanished. It may also be attributed to the fact that I now have at least 80 hours on them. But just the same, I am thinking of getting the vanilla 07s as well just to satisfy my curiosity, then sell the one I like the least. :)

Dec 4, 2012 at 11:38 PM Post #53 of 2,697
Thought I'd join this thread since I just received my GR07 Bass today.  I can agree with previous posts, initial impression was meh, so I let it sit on my desk and burn-in through my playlist. So far it has been about 8 hours and now I am enjoying listening to Banquet by Bloc Party. 

I will let it burn-in more throughout the night.  Can't wait to hear it the next morning.

Also, this is my first post. Hello Head-Fi community!

Dec 5, 2012 at 5:27 AM Post #55 of 2,697
Hmmm....108 hours into burn in, bass bleed is back, this time with a vengeance :) I certainly hope this is just a phase. Or it's just my ears, i dont know...
Whatever it is, I am enjoying the sound, and the burn in journey. I am sorry if I confuse people, hoping in time, this journal will help map the burn in process. I am trying my best to describe the experience. Hope this journal is helping more than it is confusing. :) and I am sorry if I stir any emotions or confuse the would-be buyer. :)

Dec 5, 2012 at 5:15 PM Post #56 of 2,697
Quote:

www.headphiles.org/index.php?t=msg&th=2815&prevloaded=1&&start=

try the above posted link to see the short review of the 3 versions of GR07 written by Azathoth of headphiles.

Thanks for updating the link.  Azathoth has been pretty descriptive in past posts regarding the GR07, and his write up here is quite nice and sheds some light.  I know it's hard to fully calculate which will be preferential to me without actually trying both myself, but I think the MKII will be my choice.  I'm still interested to see how the comparison develops, alot of good documentation here so far.  I'm quite excited to finally try these out!
tongue.gif

Dec 6, 2012 at 5:26 AM Post #57 of 2,697
At the 125 hour mark. Now this is something worth mentioning. I have an MH1C which is a little harder to drive and I usually set the volume to 18 on my Rocoo P to get to my normal listening level. With the 07s, out of the box, I set it to 15 or 16 to get to the same level. Now, after burn in, the 07s seems to be as power hungry as the MH1C and I notice at the same volume level, they now match in terms of loudness.
Anyone else notice the 07s output become weaker?

Dec 7, 2012 at 3:02 AM Post #58 of 2,697
Thank you for the friendly welcome Annafrancesca.

And to answer your question, I didn't notice my BE R07's output becoming weaker, however I am still far behind; roughly around 25 hours of burn-in and I can hear some noticeable improvements.  Its sound has been getting warmer.  Bass is tighter and more precise.  Although I still have many hours of burn-in to go through, I like the bass a lot!  Listening to the Dark Knight Rises soundtrack by Zimmer sounds very lively.  I have been listening to it through my iPod Nano 6G.  I am also using one of the smaller tips provided with the R07 BE (the ones with the red circle markings within.)

I am not comfortable with IEM's as much as I am with full size headphones (my HD-280 + cmoyBB is the comfort zone for my ears at home).  Hearing the lows from the GR07 BE can be sometimes overwhelming for me.  Maybe I am so used to hearing the lack of quantity in the lows.  The HD-280 simply shows the details of the lows but does not bring the same impact that the R07 BE brings.

Dec 7, 2012 at 5:50 AM Post #59 of 2,697
I've been listening to the GR07 bass ed for a long while now, so I'd estimate it has around 300 hours on it. It definitely has a wider genre bandwidth compared to the MK2, some of the death metal recordings I listen to (particularly the underproduced ones) definitely benefit from added heft and power on the bottom end without losing the signature GR07 flavor.

A pleasing recent discovery is that the the tips that come with the Sony MH1C fit perfectly on them, and are slowly becoming my preferred tip as they seal better than the stock ones that come with the '07's. Bottom line is, I prefer the GR07 bass ed over the MK2, but it's really close. Some music sounds better on the MK2's due to their better overall clarity, like guitar instrumentals and jazz fusion. However the added fun factor of the bass ed's doesn't hurt for those either. I suppose it depends on what music you listen to the most, there's really no bad choice here. :) 

Dec 7, 2012 at 7:02 AM Post #60 of 2,697
I've been listening to the GR07 bass ed for a long while now, so I'd estimate it has around 300 hours on it. It definitely has a wider genre bandwidth compared to the MK2, some of the death metal recordings I listen to (particularly the underproduced ones) definitely benefit from added heft and power on the bottom end without losing the signature GR07 flavor.

A pleasing recent discovery is that the the tips that come with the Sony MH1C fit perfectly on them, and are slowly becoming my preferred tip as they seal better than the stock ones that come with the '07's. Bottom line is, I prefer the GR07 bass ed over the MK2, but it's really close. Some music sounds better on the MK2's due to their better overall clarity, like guitar instrumentals and jazz fusion. However the added fun factor of the bass ed's doesn't hurt for those either. I suppose it depends on what music you listen to the most, there's really no bad choice here. :) 

Thank you very much. Following your advise, I have been using the Mh1C gel tips on my GR07 BE and they sound fantastic.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back