VSonic GR07 Bass Edition Impressions
Oct 11, 2013 at 9:16 PM Post #1,606 of 2,697

Are you kidding? The GR07 MKII has about the same amount of bass as the XBA-3, with greater extension. The XBA-3 has a massive peak in the upper treble that can be extremely troublesome with things like cymbals. So, the GR07 BE has even more bass than the XBA-3.

I'm starting to wonder where you're getting your info. Would you mind taking a pic of your GR07 and XBA-3 side by side?

I know what GR07 MKII has about the same amount of bass as the XBA-3 I listened to them both but more detailed sound won me over. I had immediately the desire to buy them with gr07be this was not. Instead of gr07be I would take vsd1. This is my personal experience but gr07Be I would have never bought. For me from what I've listened to the best value "price/sound" have: vsd1, re-400, xba-3. 

Oct 11, 2013 at 9:29 PM Post #1,607 of 2,697
  I know what GR07 MKII has about the same amount of bass as the XBA-3 I listened to them both but more detailed sound won me over. I had immediately the desire to buy them with gr07be this was not. This is my personal experience but gr07Be I would have never bought.

But I'm referring to how you claim the GR07 BE has terrible sibilance, when the XBA-3's treble spike makes the 07 look like fluffy pillows. The XBA-3's spike is bigger than that of the MKII, and the BE's treble is the smoothest of them all.

I bolded the parts of your response that interest me the most. From your wording, it would seem you've only briefly auditioned the IEMs you so authoritatively talk about. I, and others, own/have owned these iems for an extended amount of time, so I think out comments bear more accuracy than yours. To make matters more interesting, here's an extensive review I wrote that includes the MKII and XBA-3 (both of which I owned at the time).

http://www.head-fi.org/t/631704/double-review-etymotic-hf3-sony-xba-3-with-appearances-from-the-vsonic-gr07-mkii

Oct 11, 2013 at 9:40 PM Post #1,608 of 2,697

But I'm referring to how you claim the GR07 BE has terrible sibilance, when the XBA-3's treble spike makes the 07 look like fluffy pillows. The XBA-3's spike is bigger than that of the MKII, and the BE's treble is the smoothest of them all.

I bolded the parts of your response that interest me the most. From your wording, it would seem you've only briefly auditioned the IEMs you so authoritatively talk about. I, and others, own/have owned these iems for an extended amount of time, so I think out comments bear more accuracy than yours. To make matters more interesting, here's an extensive review I wrote that includes the MKII and XBA-3 (both of which I owned at the time).

http://www.head-fi.org/t/631704/double-review-etymotic-hf3-sony-xba-3-with-appearances-from-the-vsonic-gr07-mkii

I'm sorry I do not speak english helps me google translate. we have different ears and in my opinion xba-3 are more interesting more detailed. But i want to buy xba-30 there corrected deficiencies xba-3. I'm not interested in your experience because I've listened to them both.

Oct 11, 2013 at 9:44 PM Post #1,609 of 2,697
  I'm sorry I do not speak english helps me google translate. we have different ears and in my opinion xba-3 are more interesting. I'm not interested in your experience because I've listened to them both.

Of course. No one is arguing what you should find interesting. I'm just pointing out raw facts like the quantities of bass, and the magnitude and location of treble spikes.

Oct 11, 2013 at 10:03 PM Post #1,610 of 2,697

Of course. No one is arguing what you should find interesting. I'm just pointing out raw facts like the quantities of bass, and the magnitude and location of treble spikes.

Sorry, rock-it r-50 have high scores on your forum but that does not mean what everyone should buy them, for me they are the most horrible thing I've ever heard. I want people to listen before you buy.

Oct 11, 2013 at 11:23 PM Post #1,611 of 2,697
stimer, I like as much bass as you do.  There no such thing as too much bass for me, unless it ruins the mids and highs, which can easily happen with bass heavy IEMs.  I like variety, too.  Our brains adapt to the amount of bass that we get from the IEMs we listen to.  For that reason, you can't switch back and forth from bass heavy IEMs to bass moderate or lighter IEMs, and expect to get the most enjoyment out of them.  Everything sounds weak and inadequate with the R-50 if you listen to them right after listening to bass heavy IEMs.  I listen to my R-50 for long periods of time without listening to bass heavy IEMs and vice versa.  Otherwise, I find them as bad as you wrote.

I am not saying this to try to make you like the R-50.  That is up to you.  I am just telling you how NOT TO listen to them if you want to properly evaluate their sound profile.  

Oct 11, 2013 at 11:48 PM Post #1,612 of 2,697
  stimer, I like as much bass as you do.  There no such thing as too much bass for me, unless it ruins the mids and highs, which can easily happen with bass heavy IEMs.  I like variety, too.  Our brains adapt to the amount of bass that we get from the IEMs we listen to.  For that reason, you can't switch back and forth from bass heavy IEMs to bass moderate or ligther IEMs, and expect to get the most enjoyment out of them.  Everything sounds weak and inadequate with the R-50 if you listen to them right after listening to bass heavy IEMs.  I listen to my R-50 for long periods of time without listening to bass heavy IEMs and vice versa.  Otherwise, I find them as bad as you wrote.

I am not saying this to try to make you like the R-50.  That is up to you.  I am just telling you how NOT TO listen to them if you want to properly evaluate their sound profile.  

You probably are right because I thought that the texture of the music was cut by half =)

Oct 12, 2013 at 12:14 AM Post #1,613 of 2,697
I enjoy my GR07 BEs far more than my XBA3. Anyone who's "tried" the GR07 BEs and think it's crap isn't giving them justice. They NEED burn in. The bass improves dramatically, the sibilance disappears and the harshness is gone after burn in.

Oct 12, 2013 at 12:17 AM Post #1,614 of 2,697

stimer, I like as much bass as you do.  There no such thing as too much bass for me, unless it ruins the mids and highs, which can easily happen with bass heavy IEMs.  I like variety, too.  Our brains adapt to the amount of bass that we get from the IEMs we listen to.  For that reason, you can't switch back and forth from bass heavy IEMs to bass moderate or ligther IEMs, and expect to get the most enjoyment out of them.  Everything sounds weak and inadequate with the R-50 if you listen to them right after listening to bass heavy IEMs.  I listen to my R-50 for long periods of time without listening to bass heavy IEMs and vice versa.  Otherwise, I find them as bad as you wrote.

You probably are right because I thought that the texture of the music was cut by half =)

I love my R-50!  And they sound terrible if I listen to them right after listening to bass heavy IEMs or mixed with bass heavy IEMs.  They only sound right when I listen to them only and nothing else for long periods of time once my brain has adapted to the lesser (and normal) amount of bass on the R-50.  The same thing happens the other way around when switching from the R-50 to IEMs with much more bass.  They don't sound right for some time.

Oct 12, 2013 at 12:19 AM Post #1,615 of 2,697
I enjoy my GR07 BEs far more than my XBA3. Anyone who's "tried" the GR07 BEs and think it's crap isn't giving them justice. They NEED burn in. The bass improves dramatically, the sibilance disappears and the harshness is gone after burn in.

Are you saying that after burn in, the treble peak between the harsh (5 kHz) and sweet treble (10 kHz) smooths out to the ears, so to speak?

Oct 12, 2013 at 2:36 AM Post #1,616 of 2,697

Thank you guys for clarifications. There are still enough people around here, keeping each of us honest. I greatly appreciate the actual detail, and explanations. By the time read dbdynsty25, and sfwalcer replies I had full clarification. Jodiuh I appreciate your reply but the simple recessed yes recessed no would have just left me with more questions. thanks headfiers. Nice to be back around

Well, if you read through the whole thread you would see that I posted plenty of more detailed thoughts prior to that post. My reply was just to respond to the numerous folks that IMO are downplaying the difference between the MK2's.

Oct 12, 2013 at 8:16 AM Post #1,617 of 2,697
Are you saying that after burn in, the treble peak between the harsh (5 kHz) and sweet treble (10 kHz) smooths out to the ears, so to speak?
Yes, to my ears. Did you notice it's noticeably a lot smoother also?

Oct 12, 2013 at 10:50 AM Post #1,618 of 2,697

I love my R-50!  And they sound terrible if I listen to them right after listening to bass heavy IEMs or mixed with bass heavy IEMs.  They only sound right when I listen to them only and nothing else for long periods of time once my brain has adapted to the lesser (and normal) amount of bass on the R-50.  The same thing happens the other way around when switching from the R-50 to IEMs with much more bass.  They don't sound right for some time.

When I was comparing the RE-400 to the BE, this happened alot.  Due to this, it becomes hard to justify having multiple IEMs to switch around.  I found that one or the other alone were equally enjoyable, but all said and done I ended up preferring the HiFiMan sound for the long run.  I can imagine switching around from something with emphasized , loose and bloated bass immediately to something flatter it would be a bit jarring and confusing...but if you give the BE (or any GR07) a few weeks straight they are truly one of the best in the bass department.  Same can be said about the R-50, RE-400 and other well renowned IEMs about many of their positive traits...brain burn-in, people.  The BE manages impact without a major mid-bass hump, and has the tactility, texture and speed that can best represent bass...can you tell I miss them? 
tongue.gif

Oct 12, 2013 at 11:19 AM Post #1,619 of 2,697

When I was comparing the RE-400 to the BE, this happened alot.  Due to this, it becomes hard to justify having multiple IEMs to switch around.  I found that one or the other alone were equally enjoyable, but all said and done I ended up preferring the HiFiMan sound for the long run.  I can imagine switching around from something with emphasized , loose and bloated bass immediately to something flatter it would be a bit jarring and confusing...but if you give the BE (or any GR07) a few weeks straight they are truly one of the best in the bass department.  Same can be said about the R-50, RE-400 and other well renowned IEMs about many of their positive traits...brain burn-in, people.  The BE manages impact without a major mid-bass hump, and has the tactility, texture and speed that can best represent bass...can you tell I miss them? 
tongue.gif

That's it.  Perfectly described by both of us.  I like variety.  I like the subwoofer bass and the bass punch.  I also like a leaner sound, that allows for a true soundstage.  So, what I do is just listen to one pair of IEMs for many consecutive days and then switch to another pair.

People confuse soundstage with soundroom.  Soundroom = Sound quantity + soundstage

Bass heavy IEMs make the soundroom bigger by making the bass, mids and highs sound larger.  That is, they increase the sound room by increasing sound quantity, but not soundstage.  That is not equivalent to increasing soundstage.  Soundstage requires empty space between the listener and the voices and instruments, and between the voices and instruments themselves.  With a lot of bass, the sound gets bigger but all that added space is filled up.  There is a lot of space (room), but there is not much empty space for a true soundstage.  My R-50 have an impressive soundstage.  If you increased the bass quantity on them, you would have to increase the size of the housings or equivalent in order to keep that soundstage as good as it is.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back