VPI SCOUT!!!
May 14, 2004 at 2:30 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

cpw

Headphoneus Supremus
Well, it didn't take me long to upgrade my Music Hall MMF-5 to a VPI Scout (will probably order it today).
I've got the MMF-5 sold but the cartridge went w/ it. One retailer told me not to use a Grado Platinum w/ the VPI because he said it wasn't shielded and that it would hum with that table, especially as the stylus approached the center of the disc and got closer to the motor.
I've never heard that before. Does that jibe w/ anyone else's experiece?
He recommended the Dynavector 10x5. Anybody got a different idea?
Also, VPI mentions a cover but I can't find a picture of it. It's supposed to cost another $50.
Finally, can anyone recommend a goood retailer for VPI who can be trusted to handle cartridge setup before shipping but will be price competitive?
CPW

May 14, 2004 at 3:46 PM Post #2 of 12
CPW,

I was in a near identical situation a little over a month ago. Had the MMF-5 w/ Grado Platinum decieded to upgrade and through a mishap ended up with funds for the scout.

I'm currently using my VPI w/ the Grado Platinum reference absolutely hum free. I listen to my vinyl rig far more then my digital lately (read several hours a day) and have never expereinced even a subtle hum throughout the entire range of the arm.

I may end up upgrading my cartridge eventually, but not because I am unhappy with the sound. After seeing my professors Shure track effortlessly over tacoed records which would send my cart into coniptions, I think I might be able to do a bit better there.

As for your dealer, use Todd the vinyl junkie. He took care of me, installed my cart/set the over hang. From there setup takes ~10 minutes.

May 14, 2004 at 10:54 PM Post #3 of 12
congratulations on deciding to get the scout. you won't regret it.

grado's can be great on the scout, but i have heard of some problems because of compliance issues(cart is not heavy enough for the jmw9 arm, and so you get some problems tracking...)but vpi loves grado's so you shouldn't have any problems. they love dynavectors also, and either the 10x5 or 20x are supposedley great matches, according to vpi and lots of scout owners. i personally have been using a benz glider l2 with great success, and will be upgrading shortly to a benz ref 2 silver.

as for dealers, where are you? using todd is fine, but if you're like me, you might like to also have a brick and morter dealer to help out. in the bay area, there are several that are very good. anyhow, let us know where you live and im sure you'll get suggestions.

good luck!

May 14, 2004 at 11:07 PM Post #4 of 12
Be sure to talk with Todd, I have a SOTA Comet with a Grado Sonata coming in the next week, but he indicated the scout and the sonata was a good match. I just was not quite ready to jump up to the scout level just getting back into vinyl. My impression from the discussion with Todd was for the difference in price, the sonata is a good choice.

May 15, 2004 at 12:40 AM Post #5 of 12
I'm in NV. California dealers would probably be the best to deal with in terms of geography/ shipping charges & times. I'll consider any dealer but price is definitely part of the equation as well.
CPW

May 15, 2004 at 3:06 AM Post #6 of 12
I recommend Todd, highly. Price is very competitive, service is great. He will mount your cartridge if you send it to him, or buy one from him. Once you get the table setup is very easy. I had very little turntable experience and had no problems having this table up and running within 15 minutes. Be sure to get a stylus force gauge as well. This table will not sound so good at first but quickly gets better and within hours sounds great. It gets better the more you use it.

May 15, 2004 at 3:49 PM Post #7 of 12
What phono preamp are you going to use with the Scout? When I was at Ray's house picking up my Stealth, I had a chance to listen to his XR-2. It was connected to a Rega P3 with a 20+ year old cartridge and it sound very good. After a couple of weeks of telling myself that would be an overkill for getting back into vinyl, I broke down and now have one on order to go with the Comet and Sonata.

May 15, 2004 at 4:15 PM Post #8 of 12
For now I'll be using one of two phono stages: one is in a Phase Linear 3300 preamp and the other is in an NAD receiver. Both are MM only. I plan to upgrade stages after a cdp upgrade (winter).
CPW

May 15, 2004 at 6:45 PM Post #9 of 12
you may want to rethink the cdp upgrade. if you're like a lot of us, once you start using a turntable of quality like the scout, you may hardly ever want to listen to cd's anymore. i have a collection of several thousand cd's, and the only play they get is when im ripping them to put on my ipod. for home use, it's all happily vinyl.

May 16, 2004 at 1:36 PM Post #10 of 12
"you may want to rethink the cdp upgrade. if you're like a lot of us, once you start using a turntable of quality like the scout, you may hardly ever want to listen to cd's anymore."

I don't think I'll be out of the cd business for awhile. My record collection is so limited (at least the ones that aren't too scratched to listen to) that I'd quickly tire of those titles. Fortunately, mom has an extensive (over 150 LPs) and, as yet, untapped classical collection that will be migrating to my house in smallish batches. I'm anxious to see how well preserved they are. Many have probably only been played a few times.
I decided to order through Todd. He's a very nice and helpfull man and was more than fair in his pricing. It may take a bit longer to get here but as I'm getting ready for a trip, it probably won't make much difference as I won't set it up till I return anyway.
I also decided to go with the Grado Platinum. Most folks seem to have no hum issues and I've heard great things about that cartridge.

Thanks to all who responded. Can't wait to sit in my new (on order) comfy chair and listen to this rig through the Von Schweikert VR-1s I just brought home yesterday.
My wallet is so unhappy right now! This place will be my ruin. The only time my wallet is in worse shape is when it's full!
CPW

May 16, 2004 at 1:46 PM Post #11 of 12
Sorry about your wallet but something has to give. It was probably getting to fat anyway and needed to slim down for summer.

I am sure you will be pleased with your setup, keep us informed as you re-experience vinyl.

May 17, 2004 at 3:16 PM Post #12 of 12
I have a VPI Scout with a Shelter 501. People have posted on AA have posted about the low compliance issues with the shelter and the JMW arms, but let me say that there is definitely no compliance or any other issues with the Shelters and the JMW arms. It's a great match and sounds great with my Acoustech PHD phono stage.

As for hum issues, many times they can be elimated by grounding the motor, spindle, tonearm, and the tonearm base to one common ground. Before I had the Shelter, I had a Clearaudio cartridge with hum issues- grounding everything together elimated the grounding problem and it was dead quiet after that!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back