VPI Scout Turntable- a review
Apr 8, 2003 at 6:08 PM Post #16 of 71
Quote:

Originally posted by sberger
my mmf-7 runs at pitch perfect speed(tested with, among other things, a vpi strobe). have had no motor problems, or problems of any type, with the 7 since i bought it a year ago from decibel audio in chicago. im not doubting the scout to be a great table, just relaying back thoughts that a very reputable dealer who sells vpi in the bay area expressed. but after listening to some other high end vpi tables, and comparing to the 7 with the glider, to say that the scout is "far superior" to it is to my ears a pretty subjective exageration...but, to each his own.

Mr.Berger my opinion is formed from actually owning and setting up various examples of each of the tables in question,Yours is based on third hand info gained from a dealer who just sold you something and wants to sell you more.OK...... to each his own

Apr 8, 2003 at 7:04 PM Post #17 of 71
Quote:

Originally posted by Tuberoller
Mr.Berger my opinion is formed from actually owning and setting up various examples of each of the tables in question,Yours is based on third hand info gained from a dealer who just sold you something and wants to sell you more.OK...... to each his own

this is pretty much a futile debate, because, uh, im not debating. i simply was noting what a dealer, who is perhaps known as the most reputable dealer in the bay area, and who has set up both tables as well, and who sells vpi, said to me when i asked his opininon on if i should think about ordering a scout. instead of raving about it and encouraging me to buy one from him, which i could have, he said simply what i've already stated. seems pretty honest to me. again, not my opinion, although i have listened to the higher end vpi models and while impressed, they were significantly more expensive than my 7, and i was not able to hear a signficant amount of difference.

obviously, you can.

moving on...

Apr 8, 2003 at 8:47 PM Post #18 of 71
I had both the MMF-7 and the Scout going, while I was making my decision on whether to go with the Scout or stay with the MMF-7. I finally decided to go with the Scout, but I've got to admit that the MMF-7 held its own. IMO the Scout is a better table...but not by a lot. The decision was much tougher than I thought it would be.

sberger, the subjective qualities of a table may be open to interpretation, but some things are not. Anybody who questions the build quality of VPI is bound to raise some eyebrows, because the build quality is absolutely fantastic. Wait until you try to adjust VTA on the MMF-7...absolutely necessary to optimize a cartridge, and a serious pain with the set screws recessed under the surface level of the base, even with the supplied shortened allen wrench
tongue.gif

OTOH, the unipivot arm on the Scout is much more sensitive to screwups in setup than the usual arm with vertical and lateral bearings. I used to run a Magnepan Unitrac I, so I had an advantage in knowing some of the quirks of unipivots before getting started.

Apr 8, 2003 at 9:43 PM Post #19 of 71
Quote:

Originally posted by Hirsch
sberger, the subjective qualities of a table may be open to interpretation, but some things are not. Anybody who questions the build quality of VPI is bound to raise some eyebrows, because the build quality is absolutely fantastic. Wait until you try to adjust VTA on the MMF-7...absolutely necessary to optimize a cartridge, and a serious pain with the set screws recessed under the surface level of the base, even with the supplied shortened allen wrench
tongue.gif

agreed about vta adjustment...it was a hassle. but only had to mess with it a few times before getting it to a spot that im very happy with...luckily, i've tried to keep any anal tendencies in check when it comes to too much fiddling around with vta.

Apr 9, 2003 at 12:33 AM Post #21 of 71
Quote:

Originally posted by alexerwu
Does anyone know how the Scout compares to the MMF-9? I believe that they are roughly in the same price range (~ $1500).

Thx

don't know much about the 9, but i assume it's a very good table.

i would like to add one last point to the above discussion. the contention that the 7 was at least nearly as good as the scout came only after adding a benz glider L2, a fantastic low output mc that retails for $750. IME, it easily blows away the goldring eroica that comes with the 7. while the goldring is a very good cart, and a nice addition to a very good table that makes a super combo, the glider has made the 7 a very different experience. as good as the scout? again, that's subjective, but with hirsch already agreeing that the difference with the eroica is not that much, i'll add that the glider only narrows the margin.

and by the way, fwiw, i still would love to at least test drive the scout for a few weeks...

Apr 9, 2003 at 1:54 AM Post #22 of 71
Quote:

Originally posted by sberger

and by the way, fwiw, i still would love to at least test drive the scout for a few weeks...

Come to think of it, I wouldn't mind trying the Glider on the Scout myself...
tongue.gif
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 9, 2003 at 1:56 AM Post #23 of 71
What phono are you folks using with the Scout? I have heard from carlo the EAR bites....Yidimsum has a nice Sonic Frontiers unit....been hearing good things about Rogue Magnum 66.

Apr 9, 2003 at 2:43 AM Post #24 of 71
Quote:

Originally posted by Zanth
What phono are you folks using with the Scout? I have heard from carlo the EAR bites....Yidimsum has a nice Sonic Frontiers unit....been hearing good things about Rogue Magnum 66.

The EAR "bites"? Hmm...

I'm using a Cary LPP-1 with a Blackhead stepup transformer. Singlepower Audio (builder of the Supra amp) is building a phono stage for me with sufficient gain to drop the transformer, even with low output MC cartridges.

Apr 9, 2003 at 2:50 AM Post #25 of 71
Okay...perhaps "bites" is strong...but he essentially described it as severely lacking in many ways...and at the price it is offered at...the EAR 834P just doesn't work well with the Scout to HIS ears. Soft...lacking....things I don't like to read.

Oh....SuperPhono now too huh? Heh...I bet that thing is going to sing
wink.gif

Apr 9, 2003 at 2:57 AM Post #26 of 71
geez, shows you just how subjective this stuff is...check out audioasylum.com for what seems like almost nightly raves about the ear...

Apr 9, 2003 at 4:19 AM Post #28 of 71
with anything. it's considered a very good tupe stage, especially for the price. at least the comments i've read.

Apr 9, 2003 at 4:52 AM Post #29 of 71
I've read the same...but not with the Scout. The only word I have read concerning EAR + Scout is carlo saying...I'm not happy, I'm out looking for something better.

Apr 9, 2003 at 2:15 PM Post #30 of 71
Quote:

Originally posted by Zanth
I've read the same...but not with the Scout. The only word I have read concerning EAR + Scout is carlo saying...I'm not happy, I'm out looking for something better.

The interaction between phono stage and table is somewhat tenuous, IMO. The phono stage interacts with the cartridge. So, I'd be interested if the EAR/Scout combo was lacking across a variety of cartridges. That would indicate that the basic sound of the table was not getting through the phono amp...a fairly small probability event relative to a cartridge/phono stage mismatch.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back