Vote: Vahalla, Asgard, or Little Dot MKIII?
Sep 23, 2010 at 4:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

WaveRider69

100+ Head-Fier
Which to get?  Will be my first larger amp.  I'm coming from a Xonar Essence.

I'll be running ATH-AD700's & Beyer DT990's.  Also probably getting Denon D2000.

I mainly listen to aggressive/upbeat music.  Everything from pop/dance/trance/techno/electrohouse/metal/etc.

My primary concern is being able to feel within, hear, and be moved by the music as if in the club.  Not necessarily looking for the most accurate sound for recording, but I'm looking for the best "listening sound".

http://schiit.com/

Please vote and/or if there is something else you recommend around same price range.  Many thanks!!  Cheers!

Sep 23, 2010 at 5:14 PM Post #2 of 11
You have a HUGE range of impedance requirements by your many headphones. None of these amps will work as they are all OTL and better suited for high impedance headphones only. You might have to start looking into non-OTL amps.

EDIT: from your list, the Asgard is probably the best as it can handle 8-600 ohms.

Sep 23, 2010 at 5:44 PM Post #4 of 11
My primary concern is being able to feel within, hear, and be moved by the music as if in the club.  Not necessarily looking for the most accurate sound for recording, but I'm looking for the best "listening sound".

My cans are 32, 250, and 25 ohms.  I was under the impression that many people here are running these amps with all kinds of phones.

Sep 23, 2010 at 5:54 PM Post #5 of 11
I am also very interested in this question, as I also have similar cans.
I like the ideal of tube, but from pure specification point of view Asgard look more OK, but don't know how it work in practice.

Sep 23, 2010 at 11:32 PM Post #7 of 11
Does it have to be a new amp? Better options can be had in the for-sale forums for less than retail monies if your on a budget! Educate yourself before shopping....

Sep 24, 2010 at 12:14 AM Post #8 of 11
Used works for me too.  I just don't know what would fit me best soundwise.

Sep 24, 2010 at 4:40 AM Post #9 of 11
well im getting click happy on that asgard maybe ill just get that, it should be a world better than the xonar i imagine right?

Sep 27, 2010 at 6:12 AM Post #10 of 11
Alright guys.  Looking to buy today.  Am I really going to notice much of a sound difference going to say an Asgard vs my Xonar Essence STX or am I just blowin smoke. 

Sep 28, 2010 at 7:44 PM Post #11 of 11
I'm kinda in the same boat.  Have a pair of BD 880's at 250ohms.  Absolutely love the looks and apparent fit and finish of the Vahalla.  Really like the fact that it's made here in the U.S. to boot.  However, the ONLY thing that keeps me going back to considering the LDMK3 is the fact that you can roll tubes in it where the Vahalla doesn't provide that option. 

Just can't decide if I want to take the risk with a Chinese made product where I might have to send it back overseas if there is a problem.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back