VOTE! The Clash vs. The Sex Pistols
Sep 23, 2008 at 1:52 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 37

VicAjax

Headphoneus Supremus
channeling DavidMahler, i figured i'd add a meaningless poll that seems ripe for heated debate. i have an unambiguous opinion on this, but i'm going to wait to cast my own vote.

Sep 23, 2008 at 2:39 PM Post #4 of 37
the Clash, hands down.

longevity aside, they just brought a whole lot more to the table musically and socially. the elements of reggae and ska really added dimensions that were beyond the scope of the Pistols.

Sep 23, 2008 at 3:00 PM Post #5 of 37
I think if you were living in Britain when these bands were in their prime you would know their was only one true punk group- Johnny Rotten and gang reigned supreme. Good simple rock and roll, power chord heaven, God save the Queen.....

Sep 24, 2008 at 3:10 AM Post #7 of 37
The Sex Pistols... not because of their musicianship but for their social, cultural, and musical impact. Arguably, The Clash wouldn't have such an impact on music if the Pistols didn't start the movement.

As for scope, it's kinda unfair as the Pistols disintegrated as The Clash continued right through the first half of the 80's. Add John Lydon's contributions in Public Image Ltd. into the mix, and then we might have a worthy discussion about scope and influential music.

Sep 24, 2008 at 3:26 AM Post #9 of 37
The Clash were far musically talented granted, but the Pistols got the punk ball rolling. I love them both, but as soon as you listen to Holiday in the Sun on the Never Mind the Bollocks album you know you are in for treat, truly one of the great albums which epitomises the social changes going on in Britain at the time. Plus if we didn't have Johnny Rotten we wouldn't of had any Public Image Ltd, and that would of been a crime to the musical evolution of the late 70's early 80's.

( Bugger, if only i wasn't so slow at typing, when i started my post there was no mention of PIL, then bong sneaks in and get's in before me- nice work champ
wink.gif
)

Sep 24, 2008 at 1:28 PM Post #10 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by nickyboyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
...but the Pistols got the punk ball rolling.

Not trying to start a war or anything, but while the above may be true in the UK—especially in socio-political terms—musically speaking, one could argue that the punk ball got rolling in the U.S. a bit earlier, with bands like Iggy and the Stooges and the New York Dolls. Jerry Nolan of the Dolls used to tell stories about how Malcolm McLaren was hanging around when the Dolls toured the U.K. in the mid-'70s, and later staged tabloid-y, sensationalist stuff for Sid Vicious based upon the craziness he'd seen Johnny Thunders get into. It's like McLaren was taking notes.

Sep 24, 2008 at 1:29 PM Post #11 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by bong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
...Add John Lydon's contributions in Public Image Ltd. into the mix, and then we might have a worthy discussion about scope and influential music.

Quote:

Originally Posted by nickyboyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
...Plus if we didn't have Johnny Rotten we wouldn't of had any Public Image Ltd, and that would of been a crime to the musical evolution of the late 70's early 80's.

i find the case of PiL to be very interesting... and definitely worth mentioning.

i do agree with most posters that The Clash are the superior band, and the argument can be made that they were musically strong enough that they would have thrived without the Pistols to set the stage.

however, it's fascinating that of the post-band bands, Public Image, Ltd. is by far the best. i really don't think John Lydon's genius really came out until then.

Sep 24, 2008 at 1:35 PM Post #12 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by tru blu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not trying to start a war or anything, but while the above may be true in the UK—especially in socio-political terms—musically speaking, one could argue that the punk ball got rolling in the U.S. a bit earlier, with bands like Iggy and the Stooges and the New York Dolls. Jerry Nolan of the Dolls used to tell stories about how Malcolm McLaren was hanging around when the Dolls toured the U.K. in the mid-'70s, and later staged tabloid-y, sensationalist stuff for Sid Vicious based upon the craziness he'd seen Johnny Thunders get into. It's like McLaren was taking notes.

well really, there should be no debate that the first punk band was The Ramones.

The Stooges, Dolls and even the MC-5 were badass proto-punk bands, but it was The Ramones that took their raw power (so to speak) and squeezed all the unnecessary stuff out until all that was left was punk, nothing else.

Sep 24, 2008 at 3:47 PM Post #13 of 37
Sex Pistols. The Clash had to work at it, but were better musicians. They seemed to go out of their way to dislike established concepts, rather than it springing naturally. Could be why they survived longer...

Also, if any of you haven't read The Good Fairies of New York, go check it out. It's whimsical awesomeness.

Sep 24, 2008 at 5:17 PM Post #15 of 37
Easy question, I agree, but my answer is the The Pistols. They might not have had as many fans over as long a period of time as The Clash, and they might not be on as many jukeboxes nowadays, but if The Clash were more about the music than The Pistols after London Calling, it sure as hell wasn't about punk music.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back