Vote: DACMini Vs. HA-160D
Aug 18, 2011 at 2:13 AM Post #19 of 40
I am interested too. Had a glimpse at Playback's review in progress of the Centrance, it says that the Centrance is reminiscent of Pass Lab's amp, transparent, detailed and organic. I just wonder if it could match the Burson in terms of tonal colour and richness.

Oct 28, 2011 at 6:53 AM Post #20 of 40
I too am interested. I have a set of HD650's and a DACport, but am looking to upgrade to a powered DAC/Amp and the DACmini and Burson HA-160DS are my two final choices. Now to decide which way to go. The 160DS uses the same DAC and head amp as the 160D so a comparison should still be valid.

Nov 5, 2011 at 4:23 AM Post #21 of 40

Quote:
I too am interested. I have a set of HD650's and a DACport, but am looking to upgrade to a powered DAC/Amp and the DACmini and Burson HA-160DS are my two final choices. Now to decide which way to go. The 160DS uses the same DAC and head amp as the 160D so a comparison should still be valid.

Anybody? Should be a few of these out in the wild by now.

Dec 8, 2011 at 8:11 AM Post #22 of 40
I've tried both setups and feel that both are good but different. the dacmini is more neutral, with excellent extension both ways. i also found it more musical and has a really good midrange. the burson on the other hand is a tad warm, with good prat and excellent bass. i didn't feel that highs were as good as the dacmini though, and the soundstage was slightly small and congested in comparison with the dacmini. 

Mar 21, 2012 at 8:27 PM Post #23 of 40
Bump for any other comparisons. :)

Sep 10, 2012 at 4:31 PM Post #24 of 40
 I don't know whether to get the Dacmini CX or HA-160DS. I can get the Dacmini CX for $691.65 and I can get the HA-160DS for $899.10. I am going to be driving a pair of Terminator V4's.

Sep 10, 2012 at 6:57 PM Post #25 of 40
Quote:
 I don't know whether to get the Dacmini CX or HA-160DS. I can get the Dacmini CX for $691.65 and I can get the HA-160DS for $899.10. I am going to be driving a pair of Terminator V4's.

Which kind of sound signature you like? 
whats your current amp? 

Sep 10, 2012 at 8:26 PM Post #26 of 40
Which kind of sound signature you like? 
whats your current amp? 

Don't have an amp right now, just been using my X-Fi sound card. I like a bright sound sig but I also love bass so I'm torn. I'm leaning towards the CX because I figured the T4 will probably have alot of bass already but I'm not sure because I won't have them until October.

Sep 10, 2012 at 10:16 PM Post #27 of 40
Quote:
Don't have an amp right now, just been using my X-Fi sound card. I like a bright sound sig but I also love bass so I'm torn. I'm leaning towards the CX because I figured the T4 will probably have alot of bass already but I'm not sure because I won't have them until October.

The Burson amps (generally speaking) they all have nice bass extension and speed. Bass is well defined. 

The guy at headfonia made a comparison vs the 160D (basically the same as the 160Ds) 
http://www.headfonia.com/centrance-dacmini-and-dacport/

Sep 11, 2012 at 12:09 AM Post #28 of 40
I can't speak for the Burson, but I've had my Dacmini now for a year and I can't part with it for even a day.

It makes music sound exactly how I'd expect it to sound and coming home after a long day of work and having a long listening session to decompress is one of the things I do not take for granted.

Now the decision to go with the Dacmini basically boiled down to one thing:

Optical In, Coaxial, USB, and 1 line in (dacmini)

vs

Coaxial, USB, and 3 line ins

The Optical input is what swayed me in the end.  I wanted to hook up my Xbox to the DacMini since it's such an intergal part of my desktop setup.  You can't go digital with the Xbox on the Burson.  It's as simple as that.  It sounds fantastic.  From what I've read, you really can't go wrong either way.

btw, my knob and amp are dead silent.  Music is lifted from a dead silent black background.  I'm not saying the Burson can't do that, but I can say the Dacmini does.  If you can get that out of a 700-800 dollar unit, then I think you'll be doing just fine.

Sep 11, 2012 at 1:28 AM Post #29 of 40
I guess is a tough decision. Best way to find out is to demo both. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back