Vorzüge VorzAMP PURE II - review and impressions
Sep 26, 2022 at 6:53 AM Post #856 of 873
I have a Vorz Pure II, but havent been used for a long time because all my stuff rn are balanced.

What are my options if I were looking for portable amp (not dac/amp), with SQ similar or better than the Vorz with 4.4 output?
How does it sound to you? - I'm happy to run single ended with the Vorzuge as it is very clean, even though the rest of my gear is balanced.

Sep 26, 2022 at 5:52 PM Post #857 of 873
I have a Vorz Pure II, but havent been used for a long time because all my stuff rn are balanced.

What are my options if I were looking for portable amp (not dac/amp), with SQ similar or better than the Vorz with 4.4 output?

The lack of a balanced output on the Pure II was a huge problem for me as well. Not least because Ultrasone’s Active X system doesn’t really work that well on single ended, which is ironic because Ultrasone have only recently introduced balanced cables for headphones, 3.5 & 6.3 s/e was their standard for years! Although that has never been a problem for me, as their own cables sound so shockingly bad with their headphones, I stopped using them a long long time ago. My solution as you can see from my last post, was to buy a second pure II and run 2 of them together in bridged dual mono. Now I wouldn’t say this solution was for everyone, but the rewards are pretty extraordinary. It certainly helps if you are handy with a soldering iron. All my headphone cables are dual mono (2x3.5 bridged). But I have an adapter for dual mono to 4.4 balanced which allows me to audition transducers using standard cables. Good luck with finding an amplifier with “SQ similar or better“ with a balanced output, particularly in respect of the Pure II in it’s latest PRO edition which is pretty amazing. Of course it is getting increasingly difficult to audition portable HP amplifiers, the fashion for high performance DAPs means they are becoming a rare breed. Dealers are becoming increasingly unwilling to stock them. But I did get to grips recently with the (generally well received) Cayin C9 and irrespective of mode, could do nothing with it, (really it just sounds so slooooow compared to the Pure II) and I’m also pretty familiar with latest and shiniest from ifi, which simply aren’t at the races (amp wise or DAC wise). Just my opinion though. Personally I’m hoping for a DAP that can compete (oh the joy of just one box and one charging lead - instead of 4!). Listened to lots of those over the years. AK’s SP2000 wasn’t really anywhere near but I’m hoping SP3000 comes closer.

Mar 20, 2023 at 7:07 PM Post #858 of 873
Hello, I am not sure if anyone will see this, I'm (seriously) considering purchasing the VorzAmp Pure II PRO. Never listened to it, never owned anything from that company, Just reading, for the time being.

I will use it as a desktop headphone amp and I want to connect it to my Mojo 2. I will be listening to all of the IEMs and headphones shown in my signature. It will be connected to my laptop.

Is it a good idea, you think?
If I will proceed with this, I will buy after approx. one month.

Last edited:
Mar 20, 2023 at 7:35 PM Post #860 of 873
Lovely.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
Mar 20, 2023 at 7:37 PM Post #861 of 873
Hi, nice to see you here :)

May we speak a bit?

1. Would you suggest their cable, as well? VorzKABEL
2. At which volume level should the Mojo 2 be set, for optimal use with this amp?
3. Will I be missing something from the Mojo2, if I will connect it to this amp?

I am a newbie :)

Mar 20, 2023 at 8:03 PM Post #862 of 873
Don’t ever worry about being a newbie.

You’re as qualified as anyone else.
All ways remember it’s your ears and your enjoyment that matters and not others on forums.👍

Regarding the Kable I have got one somewhere.
Shall find it let you know what i think it sounds like.
I just use a 0.5mm pure silver wire in a Teflon tube soldered on to 3.5mm plugs.
3 wires it’s nice and short and sounds good.
Been using it for years never given it much thought.

Setting the volume .
I set the gain on the Vorzuge at the lowest setting and turn the volume to 12.00 o’clock.
Then increase the volume on the Mojo until it’s just a bit to high for comfort.
Then back down the volume on the Vorzuge.
Gives you wiggle room to adjust for different tracks.

I know this is the Vorzuge thread but have you looked at the AK 10 PA ?
I haven’t heard it and there’s not much out there about it.

The only small portable amps I have heard that I thought were on Parr with the Vorzuge amps were made by Analog Squared Paper.

Mar 20, 2023 at 9:10 PM Post #863 of 873
Hello, I am not sure if anyone will see this, I'm (seriously) considering purchasing the VorzAmp Pure II PRO. Never listened to it, never owned anything from that company, Just reading, for the time being.

I will use it as a desktop headphone amp and I want to connect it to my Mojo 2. I will be listening to all of the IEMs and headphones shown in my signature. It will be connected to my laptop.

Been using two Pure II Pros with Hugo 2 for a while now, if there’s a better sounding headphone amp on the planet I’ve yet to hear it (portable or desktop)! Not heard the new AK amp yet but if it’s anything like the SP2000 DAP sound it’s not really going to be close. I’ve not heard Mojo 2 yet either, but being as Chord don’t really do listenable amps sections on their DACs it should completely transform it (as per Mojo 1, Hugo 1 & Hugo 2).

Mar 21, 2023 at 1:14 PM Post #865 of 873

I've never heard the Pure but I've owned the original Duo for years. I absolutely love it, but I wouldn't really recommend it for what you're planning. For portable power and SQ the vorzuge amps are hard to beat, but for the money for a desktop or even transportable amp I think you'll get a significant upgrade in sq. I've done some ABing with my recently acquired ALO CDM, and they're not even in the same league to be honest. There's a bunch of amps around the 500usd mark that would probably outpace the Vorzuge, especially for full size cans. YMMV of course, and this is only my opinion, but if you don't actually NEED ultra portability, then I'd arguably look elsewhere. If you do on the other hand, the Vorzuge amps are a brilliant listen on the go.

Mar 21, 2023 at 2:24 PM Post #866 of 873
I've never heard the Pure but I've owned the original Duo for years. I absolutely love it, but I wouldn't really recommend it for what you're planning. For portable power and SQ the vorzuge amps are hard to beat, but for the money for a desktop or even transportable amp I think you'll get a significant upgrade in sq. I've done some ABing with my recently acquired ALO CDM, and they're not even in the same league to be honest. There's a bunch of amps around the 500usd mark that would probably outpace the Vorzuge, especially for full size cans. YMMV of course, and this is only my opinion, but if you don't actually NEED ultra portability, then I'd arguably look elsewhere. If you do on the other hand, the Vorzuge amps are a brilliant listen on the go.
Yes agree the ALO CDM is a nice sounding amp.
I’m not surprised you enjoy the ALO CDM as it was 3+ times the price of the Vorzuge new.

I’m surprised there are many still going?
It got very hot which put me off along with the ringing from the valves every time you touched it.
I remember having to keep my phone at the time away from it as it pickled up RFI.
It was very nice sounding though.
I later purchased a Woo WA8 Eclipse another great sounding amplifier.
That also got hot and only managed about 4 hours on its battery.
If I had use for a small desktop value amp I would purchase the WA8 again.

Saying this I have had 3 Vorzuge amps over the years.
Never a problem with any of them.
I would expect you could buy a desktop amp with as good if not better sound around the same price new but it would wouldn’t be portable.

Infact I’m struggling to think of an amp around this price point ?

Maybe the AK PA10?
Haven’t heard it yet.

The new 23RM is too expensive and only about 4 hours battery life.

Feb 8, 2024 at 4:18 AM Post #869 of 873

Users who are viewing this thread

Back