Volume Uncap: Ipod Classic?
Dec 15, 2007 at 1:31 PM Post #17 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Khanate /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You can also get a separate amplifier and a line-out dock!

With my headsix I rarely go over 15%, and not even over 50% with my 2000 ohm old sennheisers

Another good point. Since his MP3's are already pre-gained, would he be more likely to encounter background hiss at lower volume levels than he normally would?

Dec 15, 2007 at 11:46 PM Post #18 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrdeadfolx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Another good point. Since his MP3's are already pre-gained, would he be more likely to encounter background hiss at lower volume levels than he normally would?

he would actually be using mp3gain to lower the gain because most albums come loaded up with loudness that not only destroys dynamics but also results in clipping. mp3gain can be used to lower or raise the volume of mp3s by their tags and in his case he lowered them. this is common with the ipods as the older gens (i know this for sure) had trouble with mp3s at over 92db or so clipping because the internal amps+eq settings were so weak sauce. So what he has done is lowered the gain on all of his mp3s to what used to be the industry standard of 89db which is low enough that the ipod wont clip with eq on and then raises the volume of his ipod so that he can balance out the loss from the mp3s themselves being lower.

okay so the technicalities are probably completely wrong but the concept is there. lower the mp3s, raise the ipod. simple as that.

and to whoever asked, mp3gain is a good way to normalize your mp3s to the same volume so that you don't have variations in volume from track to track.

I don't know about the hiss though... I always use full size cans anyway.

Dec 8, 2009 at 3:03 AM Post #19 of 22
this is a 2 years old thread
so after 2 years is there a way to uncap the classic 6g ?
i have a fiio amp...but with a uncapped ipod i was getting a bette sound
can someaone help me?
best regads

Dec 8, 2009 at 12:40 PM Post #20 of 22
i'm experiencing the same problem but with my iphone 3gs
i'm also noticing the overal quality of the sound due to the volume cap is quite worse than uncapped,
i regret to tell you that there is still no way to remove the cap on the ipod classic, im hoping there is one on the iphone since it would be software,
and it's possible with the touch too i believe.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back