Volume effects tonality.
Jan 30, 2009 at 1:21 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

what?

100+ Head-Fier
im certain the harder you push a driver, the 'harsher' or 'less refined' it gets,

so the way a headphone sounds will change depending on how hard you push them.

whats your favorite headphone and how loud do you listen?

*headphone*

1.not very loud at all.

2.as loud as i can take it.

3.mixed but usually loud

4.mixed but usually quiet.

Jan 30, 2009 at 1:32 AM Post #2 of 22
Not all the time if you have a under-powered headphone, say the Phonaks. The higher you push then you get toward their true excellence.

Jan 30, 2009 at 1:53 AM Post #3 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Confispect /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not all the time if you have a under-powered headphone, say the Phonaks. The higher you push then you get toward their true excellence.

Agreed. I listen fairly loud but for never more than about 45 minutes per session. With almost all IEM's I've had (W3, SE530, TFPro, ER4P, etc I have volume bar up at about 75% capacity (with an Ipod Nano). Very clean sounding and dynamic
smile.gif

Jan 30, 2009 at 2:20 AM Post #4 of 22
Change in tonality = "compression"
wink.gif

It can be from a lack of power. It can be from non-linear excursion. It can be from heat build up.

Also, our ears do vary a little bit in frequency response sensitivity as the volume changes. Flat at quiet is slightly different from flat at loud.

Irregardless, when you do hear compression, it is advisable to back off slighlty, because you are reaching some limiting factor of the system by that point. Depending on what it is, it's possible that you could damage the headphone with continued use.

Jan 30, 2009 at 3:11 AM Post #5 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Confispect /img/forum/go_quote.gif

if your amp starts to run out of gas trying to get the less sensitive phones louder you will introduce distortion.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spyro /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Agreed. I listen fairly loud but for never more than about 45 minutes per session. With almost all IEM's I've had (W3, SE530, TFPro, ER4P, etc I have volume bar up at about 75% capacity (with an Ipod Nano). Very clean sounding and dynamic
smile.gif

75% is a big chunk of everything your amp has, id guess the amp wont like it and sq will suffer as a result.

read below.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mvw2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
when you do hear compression, it is advisable to back off *TURN AMP/VOLUME DOWN* slighlty, because you are reaching some limiting factor of the system by that point. Depending on what it is, it's possible that you could damage the headphone/EARS/AMP with continued use.

Change in tonality = "compression"
wink.gif

*sometimes*
wink.gif

it can also be many other things,

like the cone material seperating from the frame for example, or a car about to run you down because you cant hear it approaching because your iems are too loud
beerchug.gif

Jan 30, 2009 at 4:10 AM Post #7 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Duggeh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I turn the volume up to drive and then back off one quarter notch.

very informative and clear,

nawt.

srysly, exactly how loud is '1 quarter notch' back off from 'drive' ?

Jan 30, 2009 at 5:57 AM Post #8 of 22
I don't know if applies to IEM's but I think they do (and its partly why I still contend that the Se530's are the most natural sounding IEMS):
ACS Articles - Fletcher-Munson Equal Loudness Curves

Its odd that I havent seen too many discussions on the fletcher-Munson charts when people begin talking about natural sound characteristics. But yes the higher you push the volume, the over all tonal characteristics will change. For example if you push the volume up to accentuate the bass, you'll also end up with more piercing highs (esp if your using the Etys). Just listen at a comfortable level, I really don't know what else to recommend.

Jan 30, 2009 at 7:51 AM Post #10 of 22
From this scientific report, we can understand how our ears response to sound .

http://www.nedo.go.jp/itd/grant-e/re...pdf/is-01e.pdf

Since our ears are mechanical, there are some limitation in audio preception. So if you can differentiate from 20 kHz and 21 kHz, than you must be a superb audio analyzer device.

So nothing is perfect because we are NOT perfect. We are just humans with many weaknesses.

References :
Ear - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Fletcher–Munson curves - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Jan 30, 2009 at 3:18 PM Post #11 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by what? /img/forum/go_quote.gif
it can also be many other things,

like the cone material seperating from the frame for example, or a car about to run you down because you cant hear it approaching because your iems are too loud
beerchug.gif

I like my reasoning better then the "getting run over by car" reasoning.
tongue.gif

Haha, didn't notice Confispect's "the higher you push then you get toward their true excellence" comment till I read your quote.

I don't know about you, but I kind of hope my listening source is as "excellent" at quiet levels as it is at louder levels.

Small note about human psychoacoustics, we perceive loudness as sound quality. This is well known by marketing and salesmen. It's not even specific to hearing but sight, taste, etc. It's why a store/salesman can up the colors and brightness on a particular big screen TV to promote sales or why a little extra pepper and spice makes that mediocre meal taste better. More sensation equates to better quality. However, it shouldn't need to get loud to sound "excellent." It should sound excellent at very quiet levels too.

Back to EQing, it's important to understand that we do vary in frequency response sensitivity as volume levels change, just the nature of the mechanics of our ears. When EQing, it is advisable to do it at volume levels you will normally listen at. That way it will be the most correct at the levels you commonly play.

Jan 30, 2009 at 3:30 PM Post #12 of 22
Quote:

I like my reasoning better then the "getting run over by car" reasoning.
tongue.gif

Haha, didn't notice Confispect's "the higher you push then you get toward their true excellence" comment till I read your quote.

I don't know about you, but I kind of hope my listening source is as "excellent" at quiet levels as it is at louder levels.

Small note about human psychoacoustics, we perceive loudness as sound quality. This is well known by marketing and salesmen. It's not even specific to hearing but sight, taste, etc. It's why a store/salesman can up the colors and brightness on a particular big screen TV to promote sales or why a little extra pepper and spice makes that mediocre meal taste better. More sensation equates to better quality. However, it shouldn't need to get loud to sound "excellent." It should sound excellent at very quiet levels too.

Back to EQing, it's important to understand that we do vary in frequency response sensitivity as volume levels change, just the nature of the mechanics of our ears. When EQing, it is advisable to do it at volume levels you will normally listen at. That way it will be the most correct at the levels you commonly play.

how bout you answer the first post question, and quit trying to edumacate 60ndown
wink.gif

Jan 30, 2009 at 7:19 PM Post #14 of 22
Quote:

#4?
tongue.gif

Depends on the mood and limits of the hardware, but generally not all that loud.

L3000.gif

Jan 30, 2009 at 10:53 PM Post #15 of 22
What?@ is this a poll? If it is maybe should have made it one.

whats your favorite headphone and how loud do you listen?

*headphone*

1.not very loud at all.

2.as loud as i can take it.

3.mixed but usually loud

4.mixed but usually quiet.

Sounds very poll-like.
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back