Volume difference between Vista and W7?
Dec 12, 2011 at 1:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

tk3

Headphoneus Supremus
Hi,

I recently purchased a new laptop because my old one died on me.
The old laptop had Windows Vista, whereas the new one uses Windows 7.

I was wondering if there is any difference in the volume between the two OS', because I have the feeling that W7 is louder.
I'm using an external USB DAC and got the volume in Foobar on 0 dB attenuation, and maxed in both Windows as well.

For the volume control I'm using a stepped attenuator on my amp, so there is no chance of differences in volume from that side.
I don't have an SPL meter with me right now so I can't test it, but sometimes I just feel "wow, this is pretty loud" when I rarely got that before on this step on the stepped attenuator on the old laptop.

Any thoughts?

Dec 12, 2011 at 1:42 PM Post #2 of 8
If you have all digital volume in the OS and audio player maxed, there should be no difference. 0 dBFS is 0 dBFS. The file is playing at its normal volume.

Are you using a bit-perfect plugin for Foobar? Try WASAPI, to make sure one of the OSes isn't doing something it shouldn't be doing.

Dec 13, 2011 at 7:18 AM Post #4 of 8
"Turn off all enhancements" box is checked, and I use WASAPI for output most of the time.
The chain (DAC/amp/headphone) is the same in both instances, only difference is the laptop, where the sound settings should be set up identically as well.

Dunno, it might just be my imagination or that my hearing is more sensitive for whatever reason at the moment.
But since the old laptop is busted I have no way to compare, but just to be on the safe side I've reduced the volume by 1 step on my amp.

Dec 14, 2011 at 2:08 PM Post #5 of 8
Quote:
"Turn off all enhancements" box is checked, and I use WASAPI for output most of the time.
The chain (DAC/amp/headphone) is the same in both instances, only difference is the laptop, where the sound settings should be set up identically as well.

Dunno, it might just be my imagination or that my hearing is more sensitive for whatever reason at the moment.
But since the old laptop is busted I have no way to compare, but just to be on the safe side I've reduced the volume by 1 step on my amp.

Oh, you have no way to directly compare? Then yes, it's most likely in your head. Sensitivity to volume can change drastically from day to day, and you can quickly acclimate to a new regular volume.

Dec 15, 2011 at 4:12 AM Post #6 of 8
One thing I can say for certain is that Windows 7 is significantly louder than OS X. I'd say by a factor of two or three. The reason being if I'm listening to music in Win7 it's at 3/10 volume when it's closer to 7/10 for OS X.

It's something that I've seen posted numerous places on Apple support pages, no one seems to have a solution. It's obviously a software thing but I'm not sure of what's causing it.

If you find a way to artificially lower the min/max for the system's volume I'd love to hear it.

Dec 15, 2011 at 1:18 PM Post #7 of 8

Quote:
Oh, you have no way to directly compare? Then yes, it's most likely in your head. Sensitivity to volume can change drastically from day to day, and you can quickly acclimate to a new regular volume.

I have no concrete evidence for it, but I'd be confident to wager a penny on it that some unseen factor is making the newer setup louder than the old one.
I've been using the exact same setup for years now on the same volume setting, usually for at least an hour a day, so I'm very familiar with the volume level it should be.
But it doesn't really matter, I've just taken one step back on the stepped attenuator and that works for me.

Dec 15, 2011 at 5:56 PM Post #8 of 8
I keep my music at the same volume with ReplayGain, and I've had the same volume setting in the several months since I got the LCD-2. About a week ago I turned the system volume down to half to play a flash animation that didn't have its own volume slider. By the time the animation was over I forgot I adjusted my volume, and proceeded to play music again. It took me two hours to realize I had been listening at half volume.

Like I said, we can adjust quickly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back