Voices of Light, or The Passion of Joan of Arc soundtrack
Jan 15, 2003 at 1:38 PM Post #3 of 6
Don't know if your asking about the film or the music. I don't have the CD but I do have the Criterion DVD of the film which has the Voices of Light soundtrack. The film is excellent. Probably one of my top ten favorite movies and the soundtrack fits in well. It is an orchestral work with vocalists. The film itself has been extensively restored on the DVD and is probably the one you will see. It is quite good for a film this old.

Jan 15, 2003 at 11:04 PM Post #4 of 6
Quote:

Originally posted by rickfri
Don't know if your asking about the film or the music. I don't have the CD but I do have the Criterion DVD of the film which has the Voices of Light soundtrack. The film is excellent. Probably one of my top ten favorite movies and the soundtrack fits in well. It is an orchestral work with vocalists. The film itself has been extensively restored on the DVD and is probably the one you will see. It is quite good for a film this old.

That is the one I am going to see, and the Voices of Light piece is what will be accompanying it. I'm going to see it at the Sydney Opera House and was just hoping someone might have heard it, since I can't seem to find the CD anywhere to sample it myself.

I've read the style is "post-minimalist", whatever the hell that means.

Jan 16, 2003 at 7:17 PM Post #5 of 6
"Post-minimalist"
confused.gif

I guess that means big and bloated. Is Philip Glass passe and Wagner back in fashion?

I always wondered how the hell we got to a "post modern" period. Isn't all recent art "modern". When did the modern period end, with Picasso? Hockney? Where's Redshifter when you need him?

Jan 17, 2003 at 5:33 AM Post #6 of 6
Quote:

Originally posted by chadbang
"Post-minimalist"
confused.gif

I guess that means big and bloated. Is Philip Glass passe and Wagner back in fashion?

It probably means a more refined style of the minimalist orchestral music of Glass et al. That stuff's been around for ages, perhaps they just needed to differentiate it from the stuff that influenced it. I still think affixing "post-" to anything is a copout.

Quote:

Originally posted by chadbang

I always wondered how the hell we got to a "post modern" period. Isn't all recent art "modern". When did the modern period end, with Picasso? Hockney? Where's Redshifter when you need him?

The modern period, I think, ended in the early 50's after the end of the second World War. The Nazis showed us that our constant battle for enlightenment could bring about massive horrors, too. Art and philosophy just took those things and ran with them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back