Viva Egoista 845 SET Tube amplifier 10K Headphone Masterpiece
Apr 4, 2024 at 1:42 PM Post #541 of 562
845’s are the bulk of the cost, your looking at probably $1800 for a pair of Elrogs, that really are worth the investment.
I probably have <$400 in the rest of my tubes.
Still cheaper to fill out with tubes than my DAC.
I use the linlai WE845 and really like them. They were about $800 for the pair.

Apr 4, 2024 at 1:46 PM Post #542 of 562
Interior wiring reminds me of some of the Blue Circle Audio power amps I've used in the past in my speaker system, with P-to-P wiring. Both have amazing sound, even if it looks a little busy/overwhelming to look at.

Apr 4, 2024 at 1:58 PM Post #543 of 562
Interior wiring reminds me of some of the Blue Circle Audio power amps I've used in the past in my speaker system, with P-to-P wiring. Both have amazing sound, even if it looks a little busy/overwhelming to look at.
Completely agree. The wiring seems a bit messy, but I have seen cleaner wiring that sounds worse. Simply put, the Viva Egoista 845 is the best headphone amp I have ever heard by a wide margin. Granted I have never heard the Orpheus/HE 1 or the Warwick Acoustics sets, but those are more systems and not dedicated components.

Apr 4, 2024 at 3:01 PM Post #544 of 562
Generally PTP discrete is easier to service than surface mount/PCB.
Yes, it's actually nothing like as bad as it looks.
Partly because the Viva is 1 Box (and an unusually shaped one at that), so it has to squeeze 3 stages and multiple power supplies in there, they chose to use those parallel resistor arrays instead of larger power resistors, it all just adds up.
Amps like the Eddie currents are very neatly wired by comparison, but part of that it they are just 2 stages and the PSU is in a different box.
Given the topology of the amp, they have extremely low noise floors, so the are doing something right.

Apr 4, 2024 at 6:51 PM Post #545 of 562
Yes, it's actually nothing like as bad as it looks.
Partly because the Viva is 1 Box (and an unusually shaped one at that), so it has to squeeze 3 stages and multiple power supplies in there, they chose to use those parallel resistor arrays instead of larger power resistors, it all just adds up.
Amps like the Eddie currents are very neatly wired by comparison, but part of that it they are just 2 stages and the PSU is in a different box.
Given the topology of the amp, they have extremely low noise floors, so the are doing something right.
Just curious, how many power supplies does it have? From the picture it looks like there’s 2?

Last edited:
Apr 4, 2024 at 7:35 PM Post #546 of 562
Just curious, how many power supplies does it have? From the picture it looks like there’s 2?
Don’t know haven’t looked it needs at least one at 850+V for the 845, it could derive both supplies for the pre tubes off that, or use additional transformers or taps of the same one, I’d guess the second stage is going to be at or around 400V, and the first stage <300, but it’s a guess.
It also needs 2 independent 10V supplies for the 845 heaters, additional 5V and 6.3V filament supplies for the rectifiers and pre tubes, I would guess from the effect of the trim pots at least the 10V ones are probably unregulated DC.
How that equates to physical devices, I have no idea, you could theoretically wind a single transformer with all those taps. But usually at least the DHT heaters would be separate.
Most tube amps have more parts in the power supply than they do in the actual amp.

Last edited:
Apr 5, 2024 at 8:02 PM Post #548 of 562
Hey guys wanted to get your inputs on what i might be missing on going for one over the other and what signal/audio quality loss i would get in using the adapter. Im looking for a 300b tube headphone amp. My dealer has Viva audio and he recommended me the 845. But the more i talked to him about the sound that im looking for "lushness, romantic sound and 3d effect" he mentioned the Viva has a Classico Integrated (300b) tube amp. The cool thing about it is that i can have both a speaker and a headphone connect to it with this adapter.

https://www.zynsonix.com/Speaker-Amp-to-Headphone-Converter-Box-Bypass_p_54.html

Link to Viva Classico Integrated https://vivaaudio.com/en/products/сlassico-integrated/

By the end of April im getting shipped a Mass Kobo 465 so I'll have the bass tightness and impact from that amp. That is why im looking for a more romantic, lushness amp. I haven't heard the 845 or the Classico Integrated but im planning to demo them in Socal. Just wanted to see what you guys might recommend.
Thank you

PS: I also have a SW1X IV Special DAC maybe i can pair with the Viva 845 and tube roll to get the Lushness, romantic, 3d effect im looking for ?

Last edited:
Apr 5, 2024 at 10:11 PM Post #549 of 562
Hi @epaulino26. I can strongly recommend Viva. A few thoughts... Viva's house sound is the polar opposite of warm or rolled off or euphonic, at least not in the traditional, older tube amp sense. All Viva products, regardless of the model or the tubes used, are tuned to be neutral and highly transparent. The holography, clarity, realism is mind blowing. They represent the best of the "modern tube amp" sound imho.

With that out of the way, the Classico may be a great option, particularly if you want to also use it in a speaker system (I am running a Viva preamp in my speaker system). I know some Viva dealers recommend the Solista/Solistino/Classico for headphone use (with adapters) as well. If you end up deciding to go for a dedicated Egoista headphone amp from Viva, please take the opportunity to demo, preferably both the 845 version and the 2A3 version. They have different sound signatures, but both are state of the art.

You might have already read this comparison, but if not, it may prove to be helpful in your search:

https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/viva-egoista-amplifier.20334/

For the converter box you referenced, I've never heard of it.

Apr 6, 2024 at 6:49 PM Post #550 of 562
Hi @epaulino26. I can strongly recommend Viva. A few thoughts... Viva's house sound is the polar opposite of warm or rolled off or euphonic, at least not in the traditional, older tube amp sense. All Viva products, regardless of the model or the tubes used, are tuned to be neutral and highly transparent. The holography, clarity, realism is mind blowing. They represent the best of the "modern tube amp" sound imho.

With that out of the way, the Classico may be a great option, particularly if you want to also use it in a speaker system (I am running a Viva preamp in my speaker system). I know some Viva dealers recommend the Solista/Solistino/Classico for headphone use (with adapters) as well. If you end up deciding to go for a dedicated Egoista headphone amp from Viva, please take the opportunity to demo, preferably both the 845 version and the 2A3 version. They have different sound signatures, but both are state of the art.

You might have already read this comparison, but if not, it may prove to be helpful in your search:

https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/viva-egoista-amplifier.20334/

For the converter box you referenced, I've never heard of it.
Thank you so much I didn’t know about this wonderful review. After reading the review now I’m more interested in listening the 845 and the Classico integrated as I believe the Classico is between the 2a3 and 845.

Apr 23, 2024 at 4:44 PM Post #552 of 562
finally made the plunge 😁
IMG_3294.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_3292.jpeg
    IMG_3292.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
Apr 23, 2024 at 6:00 PM Post #554 of 562
Anyone own both 845 and aic-10? Looking for comparisons
I had both side by side for a week or so (borrowed an AIC 10).
The one I borrowed was supposed to have one of the more linear tubes in it.
It took me a few days to realize there was an impedance mismatch, and it wasn't playing well with the Pacific, so impressions are using the TotalDAC.
I'm also not using stock tubes in the Viva.

I personally prefer the Viva, stage is MUCH bigger, it's perhaps surprisingly a bit more dynamic, and not as mid forwards as the AIC, maybe a bit more air.
Both exhibit excellent resolution.
The AIC probably exhibits a bit better Bass control, it's a bit blacker through the headphone out, the highlight for me was it's articulation of the mid bass, it's a quite notably colored amp quite mid forwards even with the supposedly very linear tube.

My final opinion was the AIC is an excellent amp, and I wouldn't mind owning one, but the demo took it off my must buy list, and I'd keep the Viva over it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back