Violectric V222 and V202
Nov 28, 2023 at 6:42 AM Post #1,126 of 1,918
I recently paired R2RDAC(pontus ii) with V202.

I got the impression that the sound field was too wide, in a way that I am not good at.

I would like to hear what other owners have to say about the sound field.
I don't think it's too wide, it's more that it's holographic, it has depth, you have a kinda sound bubble around you, this can feel a little different to your typical left to right linear soundstage.

Nov 29, 2023 at 7:36 AM Post #1,128 of 1,918
For those waiting for Drop to ship the V222, the new ship date is 12/29

Leo

Nov 29, 2023 at 1:57 PM Post #1,129 of 1,918
For those waiting for Drop to ship the V222, the new ship date is 12/29

Leo
I contacted Drop support and they didn't have any updates on the ship date so I canceled my order that was placed in September.

After the cancellation, I saw that they've reopened the V222 drop with a new ship date of 12/29 (probably what @Luckyleo was referring to). I think it's pretty schiity that they're opening a new drop when the previous drop hasn't even been fulfilled yet. Good luck to anyone sticking with their V222 order or getting in on the new drop. I'll pay a little more and go with the Power Holdings BF sale. At least there will be better customer service.

Dec 3, 2023 at 7:16 AM Post #1,130 of 1,918
Bass,

One thing I'm wondering, while I sit here listening to some lounge & chill-hop on my HD6XX you get an immense amount of bass, but I have one little niggle in the back of my head, is this amp pushing this headphone beyond what it's capable of? Although it sounds fun and amazing, it also sometimes feel like then headphone is on the ropes with the bass, does that make sense? is the Violectric amp actually giving it the juice to perform optimally, or is it pushing it beyond its abilities? for example would the Holo Bliss KTE also 'fill out' the headphone similarly due to it's high power, is the voltage the key here?

The HD6XX is essentially a 20 year old headphone now based off the HD650, I wonder what was used to test the 650 out in ideal conditions back in the day as amplification was very different back then, I think the HDVD 800 was Sennheisers first dynamic headphone amplifier and that was 10 years ago, would be interesting to hear how that sounds with the HD6XX.

Last edited:
Dec 3, 2023 at 9:44 AM Post #1,131 of 1,918
Bass,

One thing I'm wondering, while I sit here listening to some lounge & chill-hop on my HD6XX you get an immense amount of bass, but I have in one little niggle in the back of my head, is this amp pushing this headphone beyond what it's capable of? Although it sounds fun and amazing, it also sometimes feel like then headphone is on the ropes with the bass, does that make sense? is the Violectric amp actually giving it the juice to perform optimally, or is it pushing it beyond its abilities? for example would the Holo Bliss KTE also 'fill out' the headphone similarly due to it's high power, is the voltage the key here?

The HD6XX is essentially a 20 year old headphone now based off the HD650, I wonder what was used to test the 650 out in ideal conditions back in the day as amplification was very different back then, I think the HDVD 800 was Sennheisers first dynamic headphone amplifier and that was 10 years ago, would be interesting to hear how that sounds with the HD6XX.
You maybe right here, when a amp lacks power (Volt in this case), bass frequency is the first to get hit as it requires the most power in the frequency spectrum, this is also why speakers/hp sound shrill when you crank the volume on underpowerd amps, treble goes up but the bass doesn't, for the V202 it is not suprising as it has the lowest Volts in Vio amps (16.7V) vs V222 (23.2V) at 300 ohm, an OTL tube amp like Bottlehead Creak or Xduoo TA-26S are even better and known to work extremely well with HD6xx and lot cheaper.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/violectric-v222-and-v202.963504/post-17231616

Dec 3, 2023 at 10:07 AM Post #1,132 of 1,918
You maybe right here, when a amp lacks power (Volt in this case), bass frequency is the first to get hit as it requires the most power in the frequency spectrum, this is also why speakers/hp sound shrill when you crank the volume on underpowerd amps, treble goes up but the bass doesn't, for the V202 it is not suprising as it has the lowest Volts in Vio amps (16.7V) vs V222 (23.2V) at 300 ohm, an OTL tube amp like Bottlehead Creak or Xduoo TA-26S are even better and known to work extremely well with HD6xx and lot cheaper.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/violectric-v222-and-v202.963504/post-17231616
I'm not sure my post was taken as intended, I'm not really pondering if the V202 is enough, quite the opposite, I'm asking if it's pushing the HD6XX beyond it's capability, particularly in the bass department, I've used many headphone amplifiers, non of them give the HD6XX the bass this one does, perhaps I'm not used to it, it just feels like the headphone isn't what I knew it to be for many years.

Simply put is this how the HD6XX should sound when powered properly (full bodied with lots of bass)?, or is this something that the V202/222 does uniquely? Like I said originally it sometimes feels like the bass is too much for the headphone too handle but I could just be imagining that and it could just be a simple case of hearing the headphone properly for the first time!!

This post from earlier in the thread I find relates to what I'm describing also,

The HD58x will sound good, but you will become more aware of it's bass limitations if you listen to bass heavy genres if you have other headphones to compare to. I would say they brought out more bass of the headphone than it is capable of handling and it impacts the rest of the frequency spectrum. The limitations isn't really an amp issue as I have the same "issue" across all my more powerful amps. It rears it head when the headphones drivers are driven properly and give all the bass that they were tuned for. It won't be that noticeable when you listen to less bass heavy genres like jazz, classical etc. but will show itself in rock, hip-hop, electronica etc.

The HD58x has good scaling, but there other headphones that will scale more. The balanced output on my V226 sounds better than the unbalanced output, but both outputs are very good.

As you can see this person describes potentially coming up against the bass limitations of the HD58X due to the amp bringing out more bass than the headphone can handle, this is sometimes what I'm feeling with the HD6XX, I could be wrong, I hope I am.

Last edited:
Dec 3, 2023 at 10:46 AM Post #1,133 of 1,918
Simply put is this how the HD6XX should sound when powered properly (full bodied with lots of bass)?, or is this something that the V202/222 does uniquely?
The HD6XX has a nice upper bass boost. Maybe the v222 is boosting this as well. The v222 known trait is the BASS.

What DAC are you using? when I had the v222 I was using the BF2 OG. As with every piece of gear, some headphones were good and others too much of a good thing.

For example,
- Clear OG was the most engaging and punchy bass I ever heard. Great match since the Clear can be bright and shouty
- HD8xx was fuller and engaging. Great match. The v222 helped focus some of the diffused stage and added bass.
- DT 900 pro x was more on the boomier side of things. Bass bleed. It was not a good match.

Then upgraded my DAC for the Soekris,
- Clear OG lost crazy slam for a more neutral tuning but still slammed hard (Better separation, clarity, and resolution). Still a great match though.
- HD8xx same as the Clear OG. The midrange sounded clearer and euphonic.
- DT900pro x became more fun and engaging without the boominess.

Last edited:
Dec 3, 2023 at 11:14 AM Post #1,134 of 1,918
I'm not sure my post was taken as intended, I'm not really pondering if the V202 is enough, quite the opposite, I'm asking if it's pushing the HD6XX beyond it's capability, particularly in the bass department, I've used many headphone amplifiers, non of them give the HD6XX the bass this one does, perhaps I'm not used to it, it just feels like the headphone isn't what I knew it to be for many years.

Simply put is this how the HD6XX should sound when powered properly (full bodied with lots of bass)?, or is this something that the V202/222 does uniquely? Like I said originally it sometimes feels like the bass is too much for the headphone too handle but I could just be imagining that and it could just be a simple case of hearing the headphone properly for the first time!!

This post from earlier in the thread I find relates to what I'm describing also,

As you can see this person describes potentially coming up against the bass limitations of the HD58X due to the amp bringing out more bass than the headphone can handle, this is sometimes what I'm feeling with the HD6XX, I could be wrong, I hope I am.
Ah I read the opposite, I think the amps you had before the V202 may explain why you are hearing the exra bass now.

Dec 3, 2023 at 12:35 PM Post #1,135 of 1,918
The HD6XX has a nice upper bass boost. Maybe the v222 is boosting this as well. The v222 known trait is the BASS.

What DAC are you using? when I had the v222 I was using the BF2 OG. As with every piece of gear, some headphones were good and others too much of a good thing.

For example,
- Clear OG was the most engaging and punchy bass I ever heard. Great match since the Clear can be bright and shouty
- HD8xx was fuller and engaging. Great match. The v222 helped focus some of the diffused stages and added bass.
-DT 900 pro x was more on the boomier side of things. Bass bleed. It was not a good match.

Then upgraded my DAC for the Soekris,
- Clear OG lost crazy slam for a more neutral tuning but still slammed hard (Better separation, clarity, and resolution). Still a great match though.
- HD8xx same as the Clear OG. The midrange sounded clearer and euphonic.
- DT900pro x became more fun and engaging without the boominess.

I'm using the Chord Qutest with the Incisive neutral filter selected, I upgraded to this DAC from the Mojo 2 which I love and wanted to free up for mobile duties.

Tempted to grab a V550 to see how it compares.

Dec 3, 2023 at 12:55 PM Post #1,136 of 1,918
I'm using the Chord Qutest with the Incisive neutral filter selected, I upgraded to this DAC from the Mojo 2 which I love and wanted to free up for mobile duties.

V550 will prob have God tier resolution on the qutest

Dec 3, 2023 at 1:08 PM Post #1,137 of 1,918

You have a neutral DAC. Then it might be just the HD6XX. From your sign, that pairing may be a better match for your dt1990, k712, grado, and hd800s. The v550 is more neutral it may be a little too neutral for your hd800s or dt1990. If you decide to go up, keep your v222 just in case.

V550 will prob have God tier resolution on the qutest
I bet it will! Qutest is on my to-try list. I like my chain to be neutral. Currently own the soekris+v550 it is a great neutral chain. I'm debating right now the v550 (Posted on classified my v550). or get a Yggy OG to warm it up a little. I consolidated my chain and plan to stay like that (1 DAC+ 1 AMP+ 1 headphone). The v550 is just amazing, but my Utopia can be a little too aggressive some days...

Last edited:
Dec 3, 2023 at 2:14 PM Post #1,138 of 1,918
You have a neutral DAC. Then it might be just the HD6XX. From your sign, that pairing may be a better match for your dt1990, k712, grado, and hd800s. The v550 is more neutral it may be a little too neutral for your hd800s or dt1990. If you decide to go up, keep your v222 just in case.

I bet it will! Qutest is on my to-try list. I like my chain to be neutral. Currently own the soekris+v550 it is a great neutral chain. I'm debating right now the v550 (Posted on classified my v550). or get a Yggy OG to warm it up a little. I consolidated my chain and plan to stay like that (1 DAC+ 1 AMP+ 1 headphone). The v550 is just amazing, but my Utopia can be a little too aggressive some days...
which soekris model?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back