Violectric V222 and V202
Nov 2, 2023 at 7:20 AM Post #991 of 1,911
At that price range Denafrips Ares 12th-1 / Enyo (warm), Soekris DAC 2541 (neutral) comes to mind, also Denafrips may need a DDC to clean up its USB (more cost), no exprecience myself just sggesting so you can research more on these, maybe others using these DAC's with V222 can comment here.
I recently got the Denafrips Ares 12th-1 and I don't think the USB implementation is an issue. That connection sounds fine to me and in WaveTheory's review (I consider him one of the best substantive reviewers albeit his presentation is somewhat dry and monotone) of the Ares 12th he specifically noted that the USB connection was lacking in the original Ares II but that it had been vastly improved in the Ares 12th and was now roughly equal with the Bifrost 2's Unison USB. (Whether or not this is still an issue with the Ares II, now rebadged to Enyo and upgraded with the 12th Anniversary firmware, I have no idea.)

Nov 2, 2023 at 8:16 AM Post #992 of 1,911
I recently got the Denafrips Ares 12th-1 and I don't think the USB implementation is an issue. That connection sounds fine to me and in WaveTheory's review (I consider him one of the best substantive reviewers albeit his presentation is somewhat dry and monotone) of the Ares 12th he specifically noted that the USB connection was lacking in the original Ares II but that it had been vastly improved in the Ares 12th and was now roughly equal with the Bifrost 2's Unison USB. (Whether or not this is still an issue with the Ares II, now rebadged to Enyo and upgraded with the 12th Anniversary firmware, I have no idea.)
Thanks for correcting, wasn't aware USB in newer Denafrips DAC's have improved.

Nov 2, 2023 at 9:46 AM Post #993 of 1,911
That is good to know, thanks! I will add that to my list with the mearson and soekris. It's so hard to find good balanced dacs with synergy in the $1000-$1500 ish price range that aren't built like tanks since this is primarily for bedside use. I was eyeing a used Gustard R26 but that thing is huge. Was also eyeing a used Chord Qutest but it's single eneded only. I definitely want to go the R2R/Multibit route as I already have a D/S dac I can play with, just want two flavors of dacs I can use with the V222, thanks for all the suggestions so far and open to more!

Last edited:
Nov 2, 2023 at 10:08 AM Post #994 of 1,911
That is good to know, thanks! I will add that to my list with the mearson and soekris. It's so hard to find good balanced dacs with synergy in the $1000-$1500 ish price range that aren't built like tanks since this is primarily for bedside use. I was eyeing a used Gustard R26 but that thing is huge. Was also eyeing a used Chord Qutest but it's single eneded only. I definitely want to go the R2R/Multibit route as I already have a D/S dac I can play with, just want two flavors of dacs I can use with the V222, thanks for all the suggestions so far and open to more!
I feel you on the size issue - I have a fairly tight amount of desk space so any new components need to fit within some pretty strict dimensions. I had been eyeing a few of the Gustards but they're all so big there's no way.

Nov 2, 2023 at 10:36 AM Post #995 of 1,911
The Musician Draco fits the bill - compact form factor, r2r, $750, etc. But mine is currently on living room duty, and I haven't actually heard it via my v222. I have been meaning to switch it out and hear how it sounds with my v222... 🤔

I am running a Gustard x18 via my v222. Although it uses an ESS D/S DAC, its sound isn't that far off from an r2r DAC. It is also $750 and has a compact form factor.

Nov 2, 2023 at 10:43 AM Post #996 of 1,911
I was looking at the Ares 12th and the Gustard R26 to pair up with the V222, but I've read that there's a slight audio delay with the Ares when watching movies or playing games so I went for the R26.

Half of the R26 sits under my desktop monitor and the other half has the V222 sitting on top of it. I haven't tried the V222 with any other DACs, but I think it's a great pairing with the R26.

Nov 2, 2023 at 11:22 AM Post #997 of 1,911
I was looking at the Ares 12th and the Gustard R26 to pair up with the V222, but I've read that there's a slight audio delay with the Ares when watching movies or playing games so I went for the R26.

Half of the R26 sits under my desktop monitor and the other half has the V222 sitting on top of it. I haven't tried the V222 with any other DACs, but I think it's a great pairing with the R26.
I think the lip sync issue is one of the things fixed from Ares 2 to 12th.

Nov 2, 2023 at 6:23 PM Post #999 of 1,911
Nov 2, 2023 at 11:52 PM Post #1,002 of 1,911
How is the pairing of Eversolo A6 with the v222? Is it a good DAC?
I currently have my V222 paired with the internal dac of the Eversolo DMP-A6 (master edition), I'd say it's great as far as D/S dacs go, I only have my Chord mojo 2 to compare but I previously had a few Topping dacs and I like the sound out of the Eversolo more when it come to D/S, less harsh to my ears from memory.

The Mojo 2 to me does sound a tad smoother. From the suggestions given above it looks like most dacs will be a good pairing with the V222, it strikes me as one of those amps that just goes good with everything, just depends on the sound signature you're after, I've heard good things about the Dac-Z8 too if you're looking at D/S🙂

Nov 3, 2023 at 2:10 AM Post #1,003 of 1,911
HE1000V2 if you can still get one
I’ve just auditioned this with v226, and boy oh boy….the sound is just “WOW”… Amazing! and it’s comfortable to wear. It’s now my top pick.
Too bad the Arya organic has not arrived yet. Will auditioning the LCD-X tomorrow and see how it goes.
Great recommendation!

Nov 3, 2023 at 8:38 AM Post #1,005 of 1,911
Hello,

I'm thinking about a combination of Violectric V222 + Denafrips Ares + Hifiman Arya. Do you think this would be a good combination for listening to jazz, blues, vocal music….

regards,
Simon
Do you already own the Denafrips?

If not, I replaced mine with a Musician Draco. It is very similar, but an improvement across the board. But I digress. PM me for more info...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back