Vinyl Rig Setup Question
Mar 3, 2007 at 3:28 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

jjhatfield

Frank
Hello Dedicated Source Components Forum-

Lets say I was to buy a vinyl rig: turntable with tonearm and cartridge, and a phono stage. What else goes into setting all of this up? I read lots of thinks about setting the cart, setting tonearm pressure, etc. What else would I need to purchase to do all of this? Or can you recommend me a good vinyl resource website for newbs where I can read up a bit on rig setup?

Thanks.
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 3, 2007 at 3:58 AM Post #2 of 10
I'm no expert, but I found enough information here to make it work. I didn't need anything in addition to the turntable and phono to get sound. I got the following (my first vinyl setup) up and running today.

Pioneer PL-12D > VPP-1 > MPX3 Slam SE > RS-1

If you want to optimize the setup, then you'll want a stylus pressure gauge (I think that's what it's called) to measure the pressure of the stylus on the vinyl and correctly balance the arm. There was a thread on some supplies that you should have if you want to play vinyl (stylus pressure gauge, record brush, cleaner etc.).

Mar 3, 2007 at 4:06 AM Post #3 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by jjhatfield /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hello Dedicated Source Components Forum-

Lets say I was to buy a vinyl rig: turntable with tonearm and cartridge, and a phono stage. What else goes into setting all of this up? I read lots of thinks about setting the cart, setting tonearm pressure, etc. What else would I need to purchase to do all of this? Or can you recommend me a good vinyl resource website for newbs where I can read up a bit on rig setup?

Thanks.
smily_headphones1.gif

At a minimum:

-Alignment protractor (may be available for download - see vinylengine.com)
-Stylus tracking force gauge (Shure SFG-2 is the standard, about $20-25)
-Bubble level to level turntable
-Jewelers screwdriver to mount cartridge
-Stylus cleaning brush of some sort and cleaning fluid
-Record cleaning brush of some sort and cleaning fluid

Expensive test records are really not needed to do basic turntable setup, but having the above is pretty crucial.

If your turntable is a "P Mount" design then you can skip the protractor, screwdriver, and perhaps force gauge, but you're locked into certain cartridges and (this is a generalization) the quality of the vinyl rig won't be nearly as good or as tweakable as a standard 1/2" mount setup.

Depending on the suspension of the 'table and the suspension of your floors, you are going to need to pay attention to what you put the turntable on.

The Vinyl forum at audioasylum.com is a wealth of information - check the FAQ there.

Mar 3, 2007 at 1:36 PM Post #8 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you'd like some reading on vinyl, try this:

http://www.furious.com/perfect/vinylanachronist.html

Some discussion of setup, but plenty else, too. You'll learn a lot if you read the entire series.

Marc Philips has lots of good thoughts.My biggest criticism is that he recommends belt drive turntables or nothing.He really needs to get out a listen to a Technics 1200 MK2 with an Origin Live Silver tonearm mounted on it.Mine trounces my near mint Thorens TD-160 rather badly.Many also brag about the performance of the rim drive Garrards and Lencos across the internet.Many of the better turntables available don't come with a belt.

Mar 3, 2007 at 4:44 PM Post #9 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by ssportclay /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Marc Philips has lots of good thoughts.My biggest criticism is that he recommends belt drive turntables or nothing.He really needs to get out a listen to a Technics 1200 MK2 with an Origin Live Silver tonearm mounted on it.Mine trounces my near mint Thorens TD-160 rather badly.Many also brag about the performance of the rim drive Garrards and Lencos across the internet.Many of the better turntables available don't come with a belt.

Agreed. While I can't say anything about the Technics, I think some of the flagship direct-drive models from the late 70's and early 80's are really wonderful. I have a tweaked Denon DP-1000 with Micro-Seiki arm that kills my belt-drive Heybrook TT2 (basically a stock Linn LP-12 with heavier suspension and an inferior bearing) in several departments - simply a more precise, fuller sound. Not that the Heybrook is any slouch, but I only use it in my headphone rig.

Someone was selling a DP-1000 with SME arm and Denon cart in the FS forum for an excellent price recently.

Mar 3, 2007 at 10:58 PM Post #10 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by happyangryhappy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And how does it sound?
icon10.gif

Very good, thank you
rs1smile.gif
. I've only listened for about half an hour or so, and if this is the sound of an unoptimized setup with a 30 year old cartridge, then I can't imagine what a properly set up rig will sound like.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Todd R /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Micheal Fremer's turntable set up DVD is pretty good
icon10.gif

Yeah, after reading the various guides on setting up a turntable, I feel very overwhelmed. I plan to get this video. I hope it cuts down the learning curve and intimidation dramatically.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back