Vinyl noob here. Static on one channel?
Mar 7, 2011 at 9:11 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

disgruntleddave

100+ Head-Fier
Greetings.

I was recently given a record player, some speakers, an amp and all that stuff. I have some old records from family.

The set is an AIWA lx70 (turntable), sx70 (speakers), #x-70 in general.

I am having a tough time getting a consistent sound from the left speaker. It's not the speakers (swapped em). At first I thought it was the amp, as by playing with the balance switch I'd sometimes find a spot (mostly centered) where both would work properly. Sometimes pushing the switch in would help, but nothing consistent.

I opened up the amp and cleaned the inside (it hasn't been used in over 10 years apparently, although it wasn't dusty or dirty inside). It helped, but occasionally the left channel sounds odd. Not just staticy, but rough with some weird clicking or static mix.

I'm wondering if there's a chance it's the cartridge. Maybe 1 of the two magnets/coils isn't working properly consistently?

I'm a complete noob to all this stuff. I love it already and will eventually get some better equipment, but would like to figure this out soon too. I don't have a 1/4" to 1/8" adapter so can't try the stereo out.

Advice?

Mar 7, 2011 at 9:16 PM Post #2 of 4
Is this a vinyl problem or simply a general equipment problem? Im not clear. 

Does it do it with a CD player? If so you have an issue in your amplifier. 

If it ONLY does it with your recordrotator it could be any number of things.

Mar 7, 2011 at 9:36 PM Post #3 of 4
Unfortunately I don't have a CD player that I can connect to the amp. I do have a tape deck but not tapes. Don't get anything from the tuner (have to hook up a wire to act as an antenna). I'll do that.

It's happening less on another album I'm playing, although it's a much quieter and seemingly lower quality recording (some beethoven).

I'll get something going to figure out if it's the amp or the source.

I'll be getting a better amp soon enough anyway, but I just want a feel for what symptoms may be caused by what, especially on the vinyl side of things.

Mar 7, 2011 at 9:46 PM Post #4 of 4
I got some FM reception.

Now, it's possible that it's mostly an artifact of the wire I'm using as antenna, but the left channel is still fuzzy while the right one seems to be working properly.

Again, I can kind of fix it temporarily by playing with the balance knob. I think it may be the source of distortion.

Once I get my speakers I'll see if it's the same for the speaker output.

Oh well. I'll be getting a new amp soon enough.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back