Vinyl Is A Great Way to Sample Stuff That You're Not Familar With
Mar 16, 2003 at 4:48 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

FCJ

Propz go out to his homeez at Burrz-Brownz!
Recently, I heard part of a radio broadcast of Berlioz's opera "Les Troyens." I was interested in buying it based on what I heard, but it's a 4-CD set that goes for anywhere from $47-$70. I thought that was a bit much to spend on something that I didn't know if I would like, given that I hadn't heard the whole thing (and am not a real opera fan, anyway, although I do like some stuff).

Vinyl to the rescue.

I just won an auction on ebay for the Colin Davis LP version of "Les Troyens" on Philips (this is one of the top rated ones, at least from what I've read in the Penguin Guide). Winning price, plus shipping: $12.00. For that price, I was more than willing to take a chance, seeing that the downside is low (especially compared to spending $60 for the CD). Plus, the sound will at least be equal (if not better
smily_headphones1.gif
) to the CD counterpart.

So, if there is a piece of music (especially classical, but any genre should work if it can be found on LP) that you are interested in, but don't want to take a chance forking out the dollars for a CD that you may not like, I recommend looking for the LP equivalent. This seems to work especially well for things like opera that are usually sold as multi-disk sets.

Mar 16, 2003 at 8:17 AM Post #2 of 9
that is fantastic advice.If you don't like the vinyl you should be able to sell,trade or give it away very easily.There is also still much music that was never transferred to digital and this is usually the best stuff.Did you know that only 41 of the 222 Duke Ellington Lps is available in digital formats? That's shameful but presents an excellent opportunity for us to find those titles and enjoy them in the only way we can.

Mar 16, 2003 at 11:29 AM Post #3 of 9
Quote:

Originally posted by Tuberoller
that is fantastic advice.If you don't like the vinyl you should be able to sell,trade or give it away very easily.There is also still much music that was never transferred to digital and this is usually the best stuff.Did you know that only 41 of the 222 Duke Ellington Lps is available in digital formats? That's shameful but presents an excellent opportunity for us to find those titles and enjoy them in the only way we can.

Welcome back--somehow I knew you would respond to this post.
biggrin.gif

I didn't know that about the Ellington. And you're right--there is so much stuff that has never, nor will ever, be released on CD that was originally released on vinyl. What a shame.

Mar 18, 2003 at 7:34 PM Post #4 of 9
Vinyl is great. I have several hundred in my collection. I live close to Princeton, NJ where there is a store "Princeton Record Exchange" which sells used LPs and CDs. They claim to have over 100,000 LPs and the vast majority are very resonably priced, some less than a buck. Great place.

Also, now that spring is almost upon us and the weather is getting nicer, think garage sales. Great source of cheap vinyl.

Mar 18, 2003 at 9:11 PM Post #5 of 9
This is the main reason I want to get into vinyl. There's a lot of '60s British R&B, a lot of blues, and lots of stuff I don't even know about that's not available on CD that I'd like to listen to. Unfortunately I'm going to be out of the country for about a year and don't really have space for a turntable anyway. But as soon as I have the chance, I'm definitely buying a 'table and finding all the stuff I know I'd like but haven't been able to find on CD.

kerely

Mar 18, 2003 at 11:22 PM Post #6 of 9
Quote:

Originally posted by Mystic
Vinyl is great. I have several hundred in my collection. I live close to Princeton, NJ where there is a store "Princeton Record Exchange" which sells used LPs and CDs. They claim to have over 100,000 LPs and the vast majority are very resonably priced, some less than a buck. Great place.

Also, now that spring is almost upon us and the weather is getting nicer, think garage sales. Great source of cheap vinyl.

I've been there many times, and bought (and sold) a lot of vinyl from and to them. Great store.

Another great store if you're ever in NYC is Academy Records on 18th Street and 5th Avenue. Here you'll find used classical vinyl.Their rock/jazz used record store is on 11th Street and 3rd Avenue. I picked up Cecil Taylor's sold "Garden" there for $20 (it's a two-record set on HatHut--amazing record).

Mar 19, 2003 at 2:15 AM Post #7 of 9
For my favorite music, vinyl is certainly NOT the best way to sample stuff. I have on cd and off the net stuff that costs anywhere from 50 - 600 dollars on ebay (on vinyl).

Mar 19, 2003 at 2:24 AM Post #8 of 9
Quote:

Originally posted by penvzila
For my favorite music, vinyl is certainly NOT the best way to sample stuff. I have on cd and off the net stuff that costs anywhere from 50 - 600 dollars on ebay (on vinyl).

Wow, what kind of stuff? I think the highest that I've ever seen anything vinyl go for on ebay was $200.

Mar 19, 2003 at 6:28 PM Post #9 of 9
This past weekend, I did just this for $1. I go to yard sales every few weeks (especially if I see records or books from the street). I saw an album by a group that I had only hear one song from before. The album was in fantastic shape, so worst case, I'm out a buck. Glad I did. For the number of LPs I've picked up for under $2, I figure I have about a 5% trash rate. Some things I still pick up the CD of later if I really want a CD copy (I don't figure on converting from Vinyl to CD unless I get a much better table).

While specific classical performaces or rare rock issues may not be cheap, specific pieces & songs that you've never heard often are.

As for ebay, the highest price for an LP I ever saw was for a Picture Disk that went for $1200+. I don't remember the album, but it was a picture of Madonna sucking a toe.
rolleyes.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back