vinyl digital archiving
Apr 28, 2007 at 2:35 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Thelonious Monk

Headphoneus Supremus
hi. i've known for a while there are ways to get vinyl onto a hard disk (i'm acquainted with some nice hagerman tech products) but recently read up on numark's ttusb. does anyone think this would be a good way to archive vinyl? i'm too lazy to flip any kinda disk, but there's tons of nice vinyl around here on the cheap. i figure i could buy a bunch up, archive it, and give it away on headfi. not interested in vinyl as a hobby, just as a way to get lots of music for a small price.

i am only looking for opinions of people with hands-on experience, i'd rather not have any stupid arguments derailing this thread. just want opinions for/against this vinyl-to-bits technology.

Apr 28, 2007 at 5:33 AM Post #2 of 5
I'm sure it works, but I wouldn't expect great sound from a $200.00 turntable and cartridge. For the same price you could buy a cd recorder and if you already have a good turntable I think you would get better results recording from the pre-amp out. .

Apr 28, 2007 at 10:15 AM Post #3 of 5
I agree with edstrelow, while the Numark turntable will work, i.e. record vinyl onto a hard drive, I don't believe that it will do so in a manner that one would term "archival". A much better method would be to use a higher end sound card or other kind of analog to digital converter along with a better quality turntable. People have been archiving vinyl to digital for quite some time now and I'm sure that there are many Head-Fiers who can give you feedback on some of the better hardware and software choices along with some of the better methods available to help one produce archival quality recordings.

Apr 29, 2007 at 11:32 AM Post #4 of 5
Digitised my vinyl some years ago so would suggest that you look at the free Audiograbber which is the prog I used for extraction and which is fairly versatile. Surface noise is the root problem and I filtered with the facilities of Goldwave (Wavelab is also good). Guard against overfiltering since the resultant sound lacks life. Were I to do it now, I would use the amazing LM1894 chip from National Semiconductor which denoises according to the incoming signal by reducing bandwidth on quiet passages.

Don't know the Numark but I would avoid rigs where control over the processing is sacrificed.

Apr 29, 2007 at 6:16 PM Post #5 of 5
You get quite qood results even w/o getting HighEnd system for that conversion. Just don't use onboard audio from your PC/laptop ... Those USB Turntables (like from Numark and AT) are usable but maybe not as good as your present Turntable->Pre-amp w/ RIAA stage->Hi-fi/amplifier --> soundcard would be (depends on your sound card...).

To get best possible results, all you need are
- your vinyls in good condition,
- a better than just good pre-amp w/ RIAA stage,
- soundcard which works @24-bit as intend (also use samplerate which gives you best/straightest fequency response for 20Hz and 20kHz ... I recomend 88.2-96kHz)
- arcive using 24-bit (I'm using WMA as losless/lossy)
- don't use cleaning/restauration filters at all

There are plenty of software w/ automated track cutting and naming (get's filenames etc. information from some internet database) ... automated cutting may give you headache so I suggest to record one side at a time and then cut it manually while recording the other side ... you still be able to use the auto-namig system ...

BTW, I'm using software based RIAA stage (which I programmed not long ago) w/ a DIYed flat pre-amp (which is prepared by the recommendations given for cardridge/turntable). I'm doin' it this way because of the RIAA stage in my Hi-Fi pre-amp is not very good by the specs and it also sounds a bit too bright (maybe partly because of the Technics BORON EPC205CMKIII cardridge, which is said to be a bit bright sounding but that is not an issue w/ software filter anymore). The RIAA filter is really accurate (~0.0006dB (44.1kHz) - ~0.0000003dB (192kHz) @ 20Hz-20kHz) and sounds really excellent/detailed/full/... compared to the one in my Hi-Fi pre-amp. I have also programmed a switchable (36dB/oct, < 20Hz) filter for to remove the rumble frequency @ ~0.55Hz.
Currently I'm building a hybrid RIAA stage where the lower frequency area (which needs a lot of gain in software implementation) is processed by a hardware RIAA stage and the higher area by software filter. I have already tested this but it needs something more to do so the accuracy becomes good enough.

jiitee

Users who are viewing this thread

Back