Vinyl Conversion complete..(w/ bad pictures)
Jul 24, 2004 at 3:47 PM Post #16 of 20
Actually cleaning records is still fun, although I can only do about 20 per session. After that it gets to be a bit of a drag. I put on some vinyl, pull out the latest stack that I want to clean, and get a bit of a rythym going. I have gotten though the majority of my collection, probably have about 100 or so to go out of 956 (I counted them). I'll probably go back and re-do those that I cleaned when I first got the VPI as I don't think I did a very thorough job with them.
Quote:

Originally Posted by daycart1
Did you notice a break in period on the Sonata?

I just installed the current Sonata yesterday. When I received the table from Todd, he gave me a deal on a used Statement Sonata (0.5mV output). While it sounded lovely, the fact that I had crank the amplification almost to the maximum to get any appreciable volume was distracting, and I do not listen to music loud at all. So I exchanged the Statement for a Reference Sonata (4.8mV output). I probably have about 7 hours on the new cartridge at the moment.

Jul 25, 2004 at 1:25 AM Post #17 of 20
I'm surprised that the MC setting on your MF A3 integrated's phono stage didn't have enough gain for the Statement 0.5 is not a very low output for an MC cartridge.
Anyhow the Sonata is supposed to have a beautiful warm tone. And one usually sees a figure of 50 hours for break in.

I know what you mean about wanting to go back and reclean records. When just starting out, it is hard to believe how much brush pressure can be applied to a wet record, so there is a tendency to go to easy on them!
580smile.gif

Jul 26, 2004 at 12:26 AM Post #18 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by daycart1
I'm surprised that the MC setting on your MF A3 integrated's phono stage didn't have enough gain for the Statement 0.5 is not a very low output for an MC cartridge.
Anyhow the Sonata is supposed to have a beautiful warm tone. And one usually sees a figure of 50 hours for break in.

When I spoke to Todd and Tuberoller on the phone, they both indicated that the A3 should be set to MM, so I didn't even try it set to MC.

Jul 26, 2004 at 9:50 PM Post #19 of 20
Well, y'all know a lot more about this stuff than me! But I thought that on the A3, the MM/MC switch only adjusted gain. So it would be good advice to try the low gain MM position first, but if you weren't getting enough volume, it would seem that phono stage gain would be the culprit, and MC should have been given a try.
Anyhow, the Sonata should match up very nicely with what you've got--enjoy!
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 27, 2004 at 3:46 PM Post #20 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by JMT
Drewski!!! Where have you been man? Anytime you want to come by for a mini-vinyl meet just say the word.

Good to see you're back.

Back! I never left- just kind of laying low because I think people were getting tired of me touting the same old stuff! I haven't gotten anything new because, well, I'm actually happy with my gear! You'll have to stop by my place as well next time you pass through Fremont- I really am thrilled with my analog rig- Shelter 501 cartridge, Acoutech PHD phono stage, and the Scout turntable.

I'll stop by after summer- Sacto's too hot in the summertime for me! And we all know the rule- no AC when the listening to two channel music! I really like the combo you put together- I owned the XLPS phono stage (stand alone version of the MF phono stage built into your integrated) with a Grado cartridge and just loved the combination- about as smooth and warm as it comes! I'm sitting in my office right now thinking of relaxing with a cold drink and listening to some acoustical guitar on your system- sweeeet!

Guess I'd better get back to work before I drift too far off!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back