Vinyl Conversion complete..(w/ bad pictures)
Jul 20, 2004 at 2:36 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

JMT

JMT Audio:PPA/META42 Amp Factory
I remember back about 20 years ago telling my wife that I absolutely needed to purchase a CD player because it would sound soooo much better than the turntable that I had. Just think of it, we can listen to music with no annoying pops and crackles. She reminded me of that Saturday.

My conversion to the Vinyl Mafia was completed this weekend (Friday actually). I received my SOTA Comet table with a Rega RB300 tonearm and a Grado Sonata cartridge. I enjoyed my Thorens TD190 when I first received it from Tuberoller about a year and a half ago, but CDs were still my media of choice. I thought it rather ridiculous to pay the kind of scratch that quality record vacuums cost so I got one of the Orbitrac Systems and figured for my old records it would suffice.

I then picked up my father in law's collection and figured the first thing I needed to do was to clean them all. Using the Orbitrac for 500+ albums was not an option, so my wonderful wife purchased a VPI 16.5 for me for Father's Day (I so love that woman). After listening to a few albums, I heard what the difference a truly clean record makes. Mind you, some of these albums that I have are 30 - 40 years old, and those that are not damaged sound absolutely fantastic. It was then I decided that a table upgrade was inevitable, so why fight it. I had a budget in mind and after many PMs and e-mails to Todd and Tubes, I decided on the SOTA/Rega/Sonata combo.

I have been listening to this set-up for two straight days. I even missed watching The Open Championship either because I stayed up late the night before (listening) or I was listening rather than watching. This was the first time in I don't know how many years that I missed watching a major golf tournament on T.V.

In a few weeks I hope to put my listening notes together and post a review. In the meantime, I have discovered two local used record stores in my area. I have purchased 10 new albums in the last three days.

Jul 20, 2004 at 2:43 AM Post #2 of 20
vinyl is mmmmm mmmmm good.

Enjoy the toys Jon, as I know you will.

But please, do us a favor and post some pics! Make one of your rascal sons do it for you even
tongue.gif

Jul 20, 2004 at 5:16 PM Post #5 of 20
Under the hood...
tableopem.jpg

Grado...
grado.jpg

Stealth mode...
stealth.jpg

Ok, no comments about the lousy photographer. I am just getting used to the camera, Photoshop, and Photobucket.

Jul 20, 2004 at 5:54 PM Post #6 of 20
No worries. It looks pretty badass, especially in stealth mode.
Btw please adopt me before my birthday in december
biggrin.gif

Quote:

Ok, no comments about the lousy photographer. I am just getting used to the camera, Photoshop, and Photobucket.

Jul 20, 2004 at 6:16 PM Post #7 of 20
Very nice, Jon. I know you're having a blast with the new rig and all those clean records.

I'm hoping to experience the clean thing in the near future...

cool.gif

Jul 23, 2004 at 2:23 AM Post #11 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Audio Addict
Hi Jon,

Did you get the vinly storage shelfing from Gothic Cabinet you posted a few months back?

I also have the Comet with the Sonata but with the RB250 arm.

Yes I did.

IMG_1819.jpg

IMG_1821.jpg

IMG_1820.jpg

I also posted these in the Equipment Thread in the Member's Lounge.

Jul 23, 2004 at 7:31 PM Post #12 of 20
About time you got a decent vinyl rig
wink.gif

It looks great and I'm sure it sounds even better! You got some great advice because the Grado Sonata is a great cartridge and Sota is a really good company as well... I had a Sota Saphire table a while back and that was a fun table- definitely didn't lack any in BASS! I'll have to stop by for a listen one of these days!

And you'll have to fill me in on what am I doing wrong
confused.gif
I think I'm a good father, but I got nothing for father's day- and you got a VPI record cleaner! Sheesh!

Jul 24, 2004 at 1:00 AM Post #14 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by drewski
About time you got a decent vinyl rig
wink.gif

It looks great and I'm sure it sounds even better! You got some great advice because the Grado Sonata is a great cartridge and Sota is a really good company as well... I had a Sota Saphire table a while back and that was a fun table- definitely didn't lack any in BASS! I'll have to stop by for a listen one of these days!

And you'll have to fill me in on what am I doing wrong
confused.gif
I think I'm a good father, but I got nothing for father's day- and you got a VPI record cleaner! Sheesh!

Drewski!!! Where have you been man? Anytime you want to come by for a mini-vinyl meet just say the word.

Good to see you're back.

Jul 24, 2004 at 4:28 AM Post #15 of 20
Congratulations! Even with the VPI the record cleaning gets to be a drag (if you have, say, 500), but it is SO worth it!
Did you notice a break in period on the Sonata?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back