Vintage Marantz 2230, anyone use this to power their headphones?
Jan 6, 2009 at 7:54 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

dwong

100+ Head-Fier
I stumbled upon a Marantz 2230 Stereophonic Receiver in my basement today and decided to play around with it. Right now I have it setup like this:
laptop -> Nuforce Icon Mobile (preamp/dac via usb) -> Marantz 2230 (via AUX outputs in the back) -> D2000's.

To me, the sound has been a very pleasant surprise, and the adjustable knobs for bass, mid, and treble on the Marantz are pretty neat. Right now I have the bass kicked up 1 notch and it's really making things rock, bringing out the bass guitars and drums in a lot of songs.

Has anyone used or heard from a similar setup with the Marantz 2230? I've had little to no experience listening to higher end amplification and would like to know how this thing compares to the sound quality from dedicated desktop amps.

Jan 6, 2009 at 8:48 AM Post #2 of 3
I tried out my former Marantz 2230B's headphone jack and I wasn't very impressed. The Marantz had a warm sound signature which was pleasant but there was loss of details and sound was slightly muffled.

Jan 7, 2009 at 5:56 AM Post #3 of 3
Did some more listening with the Marantz today and I'd have to agree, the sound quality is less detailed then my Nuforce Icon Mobile. I'm guessing its more suited for amplifying speakers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back