Vintage german speakers
Nov 8, 2010 at 3:22 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

sonci

500+ Head-Fier
I just bought a pair of old floorstanding speakers, for 20$ or so,

all wood, very heavy, and somehow ugly, mark JH2000, all other labels are gone, the seller told me they`re german,
googled but didn`t find anything,
does anybody know this manufacturer, I don`t know if I should repair them, one of the cones is damaged at the center, or it doesn`t worth..

Still haven`t got time to check the sound..

Nov 8, 2010 at 5:09 PM Post #2 of 6
Can you post some photos? Someone here might be able to identify them. If not, check in at Audiokarma. You will probably find someone who knows all about them.

It is possible to repair cones, too. A number of companies do it and there are DIY kits, too. If they're good speakers, you should be able to fix them.

Even if they're not good and you like the cabinets, Madisound can sell you drivers appropriate for the cabinet volume and even design a crossover for them. Their engineering fees are reasonable, so you might be able to turn them into very good speakers.

Nov 9, 2010 at 9:13 AM Post #3 of 6

Just tried the sound, well they put to shame my Kef iQ3, but of course Kef are only bookshelves,

I opened one, the speakers are all Westra, Made in West Germany, while the tweeter is just a heavy piece of magnet conected to a thin membrane, very nice,

The weak part I think is their connector, which is the pretty standard of cheap bookshelves today, I guess in old days germans didn`t believe bi wiring

Is it fixable the deformity in the center of the midrange driver, (in the picture ),??
it still plays..

Nov 9, 2010 at 12:26 PM Post #4 of 6
Yes, you can fix that easily. Some people put a paper towel or toilet paper tube over the dented cap and suck on the other end. This can also be done with a vacuum cleaner.

You can also put a few dots of white glue on the cap and put toothpicks, stick pens, etc. Into the glue. When the glue dries, you can gently pull the dents out. White glue residue can be cleaned up with a sponge.

Nov 9, 2010 at 2:37 PM Post #5 of 6

Thanks uncle, for the tips,

the glue tip is genius!!
Quote:
Yes, you can fix that easily. Some people put a paper towel or toilet paper tube over the dented cap and suck on the other end. This can also be done with a vacuum cleaner.

You can also put a few dots of white glue on the cap and put toothpicks, stick pens, etc. Into the glue. When the glue dries, you can gently pull the dents out. White glue residue can be cleaned up with a sponge.

Nov 9, 2010 at 4:06 PM Post #6 of 6
I'd be willing to bet money that's not the original dustcap on the midrange regardless. It's safe to assume that the surrounds were replaced and they lacked a replacement dustcap that matched (these are 1970's builds, the surrounds would have decomposed).

Spring clips are pretty much the norm for the era (the other option was screw-connectors with spades)... I even see them on my Infinity RSIIb's.

I would not have minded seeing the cabinet interior. Beyond that: I don't know the brand. The failure to flush-mount the midrange drivers is normally indicative of poor design though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back