Vintage/Current R2R DAC Owners Discussion, Insight, and Review Thread
Oct 11, 2015 at 10:29 PM Post #571 of 1,111
I wonder if the slightly lower dynamics of the Bimby are due to implementation, rather than the DAC chip (smaller power supply, different caps, etc.)? Hopefully one of the tech savvy Guys will chime in, looking at you rb2013

That's my speculation. The Theta has two transformers for analog and digital and Bimby has one. Gumby should be more impactful overall in SQ

Oct 15, 2015 at 11:26 AM Post #573 of 1,111
I've played piano, but even then I was "none too good" with theory. I just play per how I think it should sound, and people who listened were generally quite appreciative.

When I talk in terms of the Yggdrasil/Gungnir Multibit sound versus what my ears heard from the Bifrost Multibit, I can describe it as the sudden silence that happens between the notes. It is when you are listening to a full orchestra, thus a room full of instruments. Then suddenly they all become quiet, and this is part of the drama. Is this called "dynamics" - I don't know? What's the cause - I don't know?

Having owned the Bifrost Uber and upgraded to the Bifrost Multibit, I could hear there was clearly a sound improvement. But there was still that something special that was missing for me, and I could clearly hear on the Yggy/Gmb. Adagio for Strings by Samuel Barber is the perfect example. There's the peak towards the tail end of the song, where all the strings are simply belting out their top note. Then the sound drops to nothing. Then there's a quiet release of just a few soft notes to conclude. It just about had me reaching for the box of tissues, it was so textured and sweet. I could feel the pains from the World War II era, from which than song comes. This is that something special.

Oct 15, 2015 at 2:28 PM Post #575 of 1,111
My Bifrost is finally on its way back to Schiit for the retrofit. Looking forward to comparing it with the M22B. I will listen for dynamics and blacker background. It will also give me a way to evaluate my modded Melodious MX-U8 to straight in from the Wyrd.

Oct 15, 2015 at 3:26 PM Post #576 of 1,111
I guess that is just the design limitation of the Bifrost. Designing a complete R2R DAC that has the special qualities people describe of the Yggy or Gumby requires a big power supply. The Bifrost is in a small chassis and doesn't have that but like on the Schiit website it offers ultimate performance in a desktop size which I think is true.

It isn't a DAC game killer like the Gumby but it is at a cheaper price than the next logical step up which would be the DAC-19 at $800.I think it was a fantastic upgrade and I now see myself getting more use out of it where before the Bifrost was sitting unused and neglected.

The main difference for the sound is that before the music space seemed squashed and boxy.  There is now better layering and positioning that is like another person described with a good center image. The timbre and natural tonality of instruments is very obvious and the cymbols seem more defined and quicker while before they could get hairy once you went past that small "sweet spot" on the volume dial.

Other people commented on how you can turn up the volume louder without getting digital glare and that is the biggest difference people will probably notice. I noticed that going from Uber to Theta that I had more volume play with the Theta.

I wish I could combine the dynamics and punch of the Theta with the cleaner and faster treble of the Bifrost MB. Maybe a Gumby purchase is calling me soon
smile.gif

Oct 15, 2015 at 3:34 PM Post #577 of 1,111
  Other people commented on how you can turn up the volume louder without getting digital glare and that is the biggest difference people will probably notice. I noticed that going from Uber to Theta that I had more volume play with the Theta.

Definitely! Definitely beware! Beware of the volume knob! The usual cues of when the music has become too loud no longer apply, which is both good
biggrin.gif
and bad
eek.gif

Oct 20, 2015 at 6:51 AM Post #578 of 1,111
New Audio Note Kits top flight tubed DAC is out

I spotted AN Kits has just released a new high end tubed DAC called the DAC 5.1 Signature. I have the DAC 4.1 and it is incredible. All I can say is if this DAC is better (should be as it has more advanced power supplies) then it will be a game changer. It can be ordered as a Finished Product as well as a Kit to assemble yourself. I am seriously thinking of buying the built version.

I'll post later once I talk to them for more details.

The DAC comes with the PSVANE WE274b as a rectifier in the power supply, which is quite unusual, normally used in a power amp.
It looks awesome in the photos.

Oct 20, 2015 at 11:59 AM Post #579 of 1,111
^This^, That Audio Note Kit is beautiful, would love to read some comparisons between your 4.1 versus other DACs!

Oct 20, 2015 at 12:04 PM Post #580 of 1,111
New Audio Note Kits top flight tubed DAC is out

I spotted AN Kits has just released a new high end tubed DAC called the DAC 5.1 Signature. I have the DAC 4.1 and it is incredible. All I can say is if this DAC is better (should be as it has more advanced power supplies) then it will be a game changer. It can be ordered as a Finished Product as well as a Kit to assemble yourself. I am seriously thinking of buying the built version.

I'll post later once I talk to them for more details.

The DAC comes with the PSVANE WE274b as a rectifier in the power supply, which is quite unusual, normally used in a power amp.
It looks awesome in the photos.

Beautiful!!!

But as always beauty doesn't come cheap. $5500 kit and $6200 assembled...

Oct 20, 2015 at 12:15 PM Post #581 of 1,111
That should buy a whole lot of beauty! :rolleyes:

Oct 20, 2015 at 12:41 PM Post #582 of 1,111
Wonder how many people at the $5500 price point are "handy"?

Oct 20, 2015 at 12:44 PM Post #583 of 1,111
Beautiful!!!

But as always beauty doesn't come cheap. $5500 kit and $6200 assembled...

Ha Ha, yes it isn't 'cheap' I guess. It is what is under the hood that drives that price. It is not far away from the Audio Note UK DAC 5 Special I reckon, which retails at 30K US. I heard the DAC 5 at a show and it was super detailed yet super smooth, as in walk into the sound. It was playing loud with some AN/Es, and that room was really great, the best at the show IMO.

I can't afford 30K obviously, so I bought the DAC 4.1 Kit and put it together myself. That retails at 3300 US I think I paid. It is all in the design of the boards, and the parts count, Elna Silmics, Rubycon Caps and in mine, I used V-Caps for the line board. Tantalum resistors are the best sonically, they are everywhere, it all increases the cost. The thing is with ANkits, they sell direct, no dealer mark-up of 50%. I actually added up the parts costs including the output transformers and there is a ton of metal in the thing. It is also BIG and weights over 20 kilos.

I am not sure how long they have been offering 'Factory Assembled', but it covers those who don't fancy soldering stuff.

I can speak for the DAC 4.1 I have, it is amazing, really natural and wide soundstage. I have tweaked it up over the last year, bit by bit. A kit allows you to do that. I recently fitted the 496 I/Vs that are in the Audio Note UK DAC 5 Special, it took it up a big notch, more than I was expecting. The I/Vs retail at 2K US but I four a guy selling some half price second hand.

Here is the insides of the Audio Note DAC 5 Special (30K). You can the arrangement with the digital board, the I/V transformers and then the 5687 line stage and the C-Core output transformers.

Note these DACs have NO filtering or digital processing, any filtering is done in the transformers. It results in a super smooth, fast and detailed sound with no edge or harshness. Plus you get the beautiful tube midrange and punchy bass. 

Oct 20, 2015 at 1:27 PM Post #584 of 1,111

Ha Ha, yes it isn't 'cheap' I guess. It is what is under the hood that drives that price. It is not far away from the Audio Note UK DAC 5 Special I reckon, which retails at 30K US. I heard the DAC 5 at a show and it was super detailed yet super smooth, as in walk into the sound. It was playing loud with some AN/Es, and that room was really great, the best at the show IMO.

Yeah, I've always admired their stuff. The component quality looks to be out of this world. 

Oct 22, 2015 at 10:55 AM Post #585 of 1,111
  Definitely! Definitely beware! Beware of the volume knob! The usual cues of when the music has become too loud no longer apply, which is both good
biggrin.gif
and bad
eek.gif

+1 So true; when you've managed to tune the sound to something that you find 'ear friendly', as you say, those cues (like a screechy treble, shouty mid-range or boomy bass) that normally have you reaching to turn it down, just don't happen. I've noticed that my tinnitus has got worse, lately!!! 
confused_face.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back