Vintage/Current R2R DAC Owners Discussion, Insight, and Review Thread
Aug 15, 2015 at 1:57 PM Post #16 of 1,111
I have not, the sad thing is I don't play any instruments, but am of great assistance in helping friends tune theirs. It really can be a bit maddening, if I go to a performance and someone in the choir, show, or symphony is out of tune. It is highly distracting.

How does one get tested?

I believe there are some audiologist-approved tests. But you can also find a virtual keyboard online and perform a simple test as such:

Play a note and assign it a number. Do this for 3-4 notes. Then have someone play the notes while you look away or are blindfolded. See if you can instantly tell if note 1, 2, or 3 is playing. Most folks, even musicians cannot 100% tell the difference in absolute pitch, on the relative difference between each pitch. Highly trained musicians of course can key in on tuning and familiar pitches, but even those of us with highly trained ears would not be able to tell you all the exact pitches in a piece. Those with absolute pitch can.

Aug 15, 2015 at 1:58 PM Post #17 of 1,111
Here's an article if you're interested! Everyone is born with perfect pitch, but most of us lose it as we grow. Those who speak tonal languages (mandarin or Cantonese for example) and those exposed to certain pitches or music early on are more likely to retain more.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Absolute_pitch

Aug 15, 2015 at 2:15 PM Post #18 of 1,111
My understanding of perfect pitch is that it is an ability some have, allows them to be able to recognize notes, like most of us can identify colors. Does not relate to musical ability, one can not have it and be a great musician (relative pitch is necessary there), but it is a nice thing to have for musicians that have it.
as far as R2R, I bought a prototype Mojo Mystique DAC, it did indeed sound fabulous, better than the DAC that was included in my Peachtree Grandpre preamp/dac (which got great reviewed, TAS one I recall). I got it without a case, nice tubed unit. Unfortunately, either through my own operating error or some mismatch, it didn't play well with the preamp, had to return the preamp twice to Peachtree for repair. They blamed the DAC, Mojo says no way, haven't reconnected it since. Maybe I'll send it back to Mojo one of these days, have them finish it up, really curious to hear it again, thought it was great sounding when I did use it...

Aug 15, 2015 at 2:18 PM Post #19 of 1,111
^ that's absolutely correct!
You can train your ears to more accurately recognize absolute pitch, but it requires constant daily exercise and will quickly fade without rigorous effort.

Aug 15, 2015 at 2:39 PM Post #20 of 1,111
I upgraded from a Yulong DA8 to a Theta Gen III. Although the DA8 was already a good dac with great feedback and reviews the Gen III is on a total different level. Using with an Aurlic Taurus and my HD800 I've totally lost interest in desktop gear from a few months now.

Aug 15, 2015 at 2:40 PM Post #21 of 1,111
Here's an article if you're interested! Everyone is born with perfect pitch, but most of us lose it as we grow. Those who speak tonal languages (mandarin or Cantonese for example) and those exposed to certain pitches or music early on are more likely to retain more.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Absolute_pitch

Thanks, I will try this next time I am with my musician buddies.....

My Wife gave me tickets to Willie Nelson for Christmas, I like Willie, but the Man can no longer sing. Hopefully he can get the IRS paid off and stop touring.

Aug 15, 2015 at 2:42 PM Post #22 of 1,111
Thanks, I will try this next time I am with my musician buddies.....

My Wife gave me tickets to Willie Nelson for Christmas, I like Willie, but the Man can no longer sing. Hopefully he can get the IRS paid off and stop touring.

Ah, sorry to hear that! Enjoy it as best you can I suppose!

Also, I totally agree about the more natural tonality of R2R DACs. Looking forward to gungnir/bifrost multibit!

Aug 15, 2015 at 2:45 PM Post #23 of 1,111
I upgraded from a Yulong DA8 to a Theta Gen III. Although the DA8 was already a good dac with great feedback and reviews the Gen III is on a total different level. Using with an Aurlic Taurus and my HD800 I've totally lost interest in desktop gear from a few months now.

I absolutely love my Taurus, M22B with my HD800s. The new caps and new 800 are finally starting to burn in, even without my Draug 2 Cable, the SQ is excellent. Listening to Fritz Reiner and the CSOs Bartok Concertos, the soundstage depth is incredible, instruments are in their own space, really starting to understand the HD800 love. Really wish I had the M22B when I had the HEK in the house.

Aug 15, 2015 at 2:46 PM Post #24 of 1,111
Ah, sorry to hear that! Enjoy it as best you can I suppose!

Also, I totally agree about the more natural tonality of R2R DACs. Looking forward to gungnir/bifrost multibit!

I am as well, would love to upgrade my Bifrost and have an R2R shootout 
L3000.gif

Aug 15, 2015 at 2:50 PM Post #25 of 1,111
I remember Mike Moffat saying he'd offer current bifrost/gungnir owners a discount on R2R upgrades when they first came out, so that's a plus!

Got the chance to hear an old Theta Gen V Pro and Yggy last weekend. Yowza if that wasn't good sound!

Aug 15, 2015 at 3:37 PM Post #26 of 1,111
I remember Mike Moffat saying he'd offer current bifrost/gungnir owners a discount on R2R upgrades when they first came out, so that's a plus!

Got the chance to hear an old Theta Gen V Pro and Yggy last weekend. Yowza if that wasn't good sound!

I have heard the Yggy, Dan (MrSpeakers) brought one to the Nashville Meet. It was incredible, especially with the Cavalli Amps. 

I had forgotten about Mike M.'s statement about the discount, hopefully the upgrades are announced today.

Aug 15, 2015 at 4:06 PM Post #27 of 1,111
  Have you tried them, I am technically inept, do they sell completed kits?

The Soekris R2R is a module, other bits like powersupply and digital audio interface needs to be added.

Heres is mine.

The smaller top board is the Raspberry Pi serving as the digital audio interface, in this example it is configured as a networked audio player.

Aug 15, 2015 at 4:23 PM Post #28 of 1,111
  The Soekris R2R is a module, other bits like powersupply and digital audio interface needs to be added.

Heres is mine.

The smaller top board is the Raspberry Pi serving as the digital audio interface, in this example it is configured as a networked audio player.

Not sure that would receive spousal approval in my house, guess you could throw them in a case if you wanted to.

Aug 15, 2015 at 4:49 PM Post #29 of 1,111
  Not sure that would receive spousal approval in my house, guess you could throw them in a case if you wanted to.

It exists on my lab bench, I will probably case it up once Soekris gets the rough edges off this thing, there is a new firmware update about to come out that may address the outstanding problems.

Sound quality is great for the cost but the operational quirks get in the way.

Aug 15, 2015 at 5:25 PM Post #30 of 1,111
DIY on my end now consists of dialing the phone to reach the lawn service...not happening in my house, but color me impressed!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back