Villancicos y Danzas Criollas
Jul 3, 2004 at 2:14 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Orpheus

Headphoneus Supremus
i got this recommendation off of stereophile's recording of the month i think. i'm not even sure what the title means, and the "insert" (more like a book) that's included is all in italian i think. but man!--this stuff is really cool! it's like some kinda of midieval music with gregorian-like singing... but not so boring sounding as "Chant"... closer to opera. listened to it all day today at work, and i never got bored of it. haven't heard a recording in so long that held my attention like this cd. incredible. and the sound is very high quality too--you can hear the natural reverbs... the ambience is so good that you feel like you're right in the same church as where this thing was recorded.

highly recommended for any adventurous listener.
biggrin.gif

Jul 5, 2004 at 6:13 AM Post #2 of 8
"Villancicos" in Latin America are popular Christmas songs, and "Danzas Criollas" would mean "Folk dances". This recording also caught my eye in Stereophile, I think I'll be getting it too. Can't find it in Amazon though. Where did you buy it?
Cheers,
Raul

Jul 5, 2004 at 3:29 PM Post #4 of 8
Criolla literally means Creole. In this case it means dances that include both Spanish (Spain) and African (Africa) influences.

Villancicos literally means Carols as in Christmas Carols. Villancicos and Aguinaldos are both Christmas songs that are popluar throughout Latin Amercia and Spain, though they sound quite a bit different and are played with different instruments depending on the culture.

Jul 5, 2004 at 4:22 PM Post #5 of 8
Found it :
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...sical&n=507846

About "Criollo", yes the literal meaning is something with mixed Spanish-African origin, e.g. "Creole". But there are some other usages depending on the country. For example in Venezuela and Peru "Criollo" can be used just as a synonym for "Venezuelan/Peruvian", e.g. national and authentic from the respective country, like food, people, or music . "Danzas Criollas" would mean something like "National Folk Dances" in those countries. Btw, if I'm not mistake, "Danzas" are also some types of musical compositions instead of actual "dances", so that might be the meaning being used here.

Jul 5, 2004 at 5:10 PM Post #6 of 8
There are many, many different Danzas, it is both a musical style and a dance style. It can get quite confusing since so many different countries use the same terms to discribe things that are quite different. For example if I wanted to I could make a mix CD with let's say 10 different Danzas from 10 different places and they will all sound radically different from one another, even though they are all called Danza or something similar.

Criollo and/or Criolla also refers to cooking styles and cultures. Some hispanic countries do not much of an African influance and this the mix of styles in these cases would be Spanish and Native Amercian. Other times it can be all three. In yet other cases it is use to mean Spanish and other European styles like Italian or German, etc. It all depends on the which country you are refering to.

In the US and Hati it means French mixed with something else.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back