Video tutorial: How to make a (small) iPod LOD
Jan 25, 2009 at 6:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 34

Captain ?degard

Member of the Trade
A lot of people have been commenting on my small LODs, and seeing many rigs on here I see many people that could lose half a kg off their rig if they switched out those oversized ones that seem so popular. It's really quite simple, so I made a video tutorial on how to make your own - complete with instructions as annotations. The whole thing is 5 minutes 24 seconds, and though some soldering skills is required it's something a lot of people could do.

Warning: Not for people that are anal about the material their LODs are made of, if you want gold plated duranium shielded transphasic dual density tiberian monk braided unicornhair you still have to lug around those oil pipe sized overpriced LODs. Total price for this, if ordering a FiiO amp just for the sake of getting the exact cable I'm using, is about 15 USD. total size for this should be around 1/10000000 of most LODs I've seen on head-fi

For some reason the youtube bbcode thingy doesn't work, so use the direct link:
YouTube - How to: Tiny iPod LOD (Line Out Dock)

Jan 25, 2009 at 8:15 PM Post #3 of 34
There should be a setting to check continuity, meaning it gives some sort of reading or beep or whatever when you connect the two pins together. Then you just put one pin on the plug, and one on the wire, and see which one matches and gives you a reading - those two are connected. Use the information in the video to determine left/right/ground and the corresponding one on the ipod connector

Jan 25, 2009 at 8:45 PM Post #4 of 34
Thanks Captain! Excellent tutorial. I am going to have to try this as much for the fun of doing it as the "unbearable lightness" of having it. I know my ALO and Lil' Kinight LODs are bigger, but there is something to be said for a little give, since it seems I almost never keep my iPod/iPhone clamped to my amp all the time. Size matters. One way or another!

Jan 25, 2009 at 8:55 PM Post #5 of 34
Nice!
beerchug.gif

Jan 27, 2009 at 2:42 AM Post #12 of 34
Nice job on the video. You make it look easier than it is, at least for me, anyway. After several efforts at making one using Punnisher's tutorial, I gave up and ended up snagging a pretty nice LOD on eBay for not much more than the $15 you quoted as your cost. I wanted a low-profile one, though... but I'm happy having one that works, low profile or not.

I'm getting old... just can't see those teeny tiny little pins well enough to solder the wires to 'em anymore. Best of luck to everyone else who tries! Don't be like me... get a good magnifier and lots of light. You'll need it unless you're under 40. :)

Jan 27, 2009 at 3:55 PM Post #14 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by major_works /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm getting old... just can't see those teeny tiny little pins well enough to solder the wires to 'em anymore. Best of luck to everyone else who tries! Don't be like me... get a good magnifier and lots of light. You'll need it unless you're under 40. :)

x2. The magnifier and extra light are essential for these old eyes. And much as I love component work, I have gotten to the point where the value of the time has become more important than anything else.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back