Video game music
Jul 11, 2005 at 10:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 50

Helter Skelter

500+ Head-Fier
A category of music often overlooked, there are some fantastic video game and video game inspired soundtracks out there. Many can and have stood well on their own as albums in their own rights.

What's some of YOUR favorite video game music? I'll start things off with a list of some of mine:

Katamari Damacy (and it's recently-released in Japan sequel, Minna Daisuki Katamari Damacy)
Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory (created/performed by Amon Tobin!)
Yasunori Mitsuda's Xenogears arranged album, Cried
Pretty much everything else made by Yasunori Mitsuda
Tons of Final Fantasy stuff (The Black Mages, Dear Friends, Piano collection...)
Grim Fandango
Jet Grind Radio/Jet Set Radio Future
Rez

Jul 11, 2005 at 11:31 PM Post #2 of 50
Nice thread. By far, my favorite all-time video game music comes from Mega Man 2. It's not the best sonically or musically, but there's definitely some nostalgia there for me. Second is Super Metroid, third is Castlevania: SOTN, and fourth is Final Fantasy VII. Those also happen to be four of my favorite games.

Jul 11, 2005 at 11:40 PM Post #3 of 50
I loves me some Super Metroid. Fantastic game, and a very atmospheric soundtrack.

Have you heard the Relics of the Chozo remixed album? Some good stuff.

http://smproject.ocremix.org/

Jul 11, 2005 at 11:49 PM Post #4 of 50
Jet Set Radio and its sequel and then Katamari Damacy are the only soundtracks that I listen to close to regularly. I wish that it were not so expensive to import Japanese albums, as it puts a huge damper on my rate of purchase.

And I can't wait for the next Katamari game. Do you think it will be as good as the original?

Jul 11, 2005 at 11:59 PM Post #5 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Actual
And I can't wait for the next Katamari game. Do you think it will be as good as the original?

I've been playing an imported copy for the past few days.

It's BETTER.
biggrin.gif

Here's a big ol' writeup and a boatload of gameplay footage done by a buddy of mine (follow the links):
http://www.shacknews.com/ja.zz?id=10384152

Jul 12, 2005 at 12:06 AM Post #6 of 50
I agree, the music from Mega Man 2 is great, especially Metal Man, Quick Man, Flash Man, and the Dr. Wily Stage 1/2 songs. However, I think the best video game music is from Final Fantasy VI(Japan)/III(America), which blows away Final Fantasy VII in my opinion. This is also probably because these are two of my favorite video games.

Jul 12, 2005 at 12:22 AM Post #7 of 50
My current top 10:

Ys III (redbook or recent remake OST)
Xenosaga Ep. 2 Movie Scene OST (Yuji Kajiura (sp?) of Noir fame)
Wangan Midnight 2: Maximum Tune OST (Yuzo Koshiro of Actraiser fame)
Final Fantasy X OST
Soukaigi OST (Hiroki Kikuta of Secret of Mana)
Silent Hill series OSTs (Akira Yamaoka)
Shin Contra OST (Yamaoka, Sota Fujimori)
Shadow Hearts OSTs (Yo****aka Hirota, and some Mitsuda)
Einhander OST (Kenchiro Fukui (sp?))

Jul 12, 2005 at 12:57 AM Post #8 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by Helter Skelter
I've been playing an imported copy for the past few days.

It's BETTER.
biggrin.gif

Excellent. I cannot wait to play the levels in outer space (!!!).

Do you know when it came out? I tried to find a copy while I was in Japan a couple weeks ago without success.

Jul 12, 2005 at 1:05 AM Post #9 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Actual
Do you know when it came out? I tried to find a copy while I was in Japan a couple weeks ago without success.

No surprise there, it only came out about 5 days ago.
biggrin.gif

Jul 12, 2005 at 1:25 AM Post #11 of 50
Oh, and how could I forget Tetrisphere for the N64? Neil Voss did awesome work on that.

Jul 12, 2005 at 2:43 AM Post #12 of 50
Xenogears

IMO is is just hand down the best video game soundtrack ever. I can just listen to it all day and never get tired of it. It is followed closley by Xenosaga ep 2.

And I just got the new Katamri Damacy sequal running today on my old pos PS2. I am really surprised it will even play burned games anymore, as much as I have abused it and all. Well one of my friends came over today and played it for like 5 hours strait and has already beat the game. But yeah, it is even more awesome than the first.

Jul 12, 2005 at 3:50 AM Post #13 of 50
Quote:

A category of music often overlooked, there are some fantastic video game and video game inspired soundtracks out there. Many can and have stood well on their own as albums in their own rights.

What's some of YOUR favorite video game music? I'll start things off with a list of some of mine:

Katamari Damacy (and it's recently-released in Japan sequel, Minna Daisuki Katamari Damacy)
Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory (created/performed by Amon Tobin!)
Yasunori Mitsuda's Xenogears arranged album, Cried
Pretty much everything else made by Yasunori Mitsuda
Tons of Final Fantasy stuff (The Black Mages, Dear Friends, Piano collection...)
Grim Fandango
Jet Grind Radio/Jet Set Radio Future
Rez

Grim Fandango is my favorite game soundtrack, and it was a great game. I've also liked the Final Fantasy music, and I enjoy the themes from old NES games like Zelda and Super Mario Bros., even though they are not particularly complex. I've heard the Tokyo Philharmonic (I think) Orchestra's renditions of these NES themes, as well as some of the older Final Fantasy stuff, and it was surprisingly great. It's too bad the cd's for that collection are out of print and extremely rare/expensive.

Jul 12, 2005 at 4:07 AM Post #14 of 50
Halo!

I like the Halo music and think it is very fitting for the game.

My favorite would probably have to be the score composed for the MOH (Medal Of Honor) series. Very intense and theoretical, very WWII

Jul 12, 2005 at 5:53 AM Post #15 of 50
Quote:

I loves me some Super Metroid. Fantastic game, and a very atmospheric soundtrack.

Have you heard the Relics of the Chozo remixed album? Some good stuff.

http://smproject.ocremix.org/

No, I hadn't heard of it. Just downloaded and took a listen, though. Good stuff indeed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back