Victor SU-DH1 qns: On double-amping, & speakers
Apr 27, 2010 at 1:03 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Eric_C

Headphoneus Supremus
Hi all, have read with great interest for some months now about the Victor SU-DH1. Despite a range of opinions on its effectiveness, and some explanations that this is due to it being picky about which headphones it pairs well with, the consensus seems to be that it can provide some value for money--especially for the space conscious.

Anyway, let me tell you what my current setup is:
PS3/360 --> Crossroads Edge amp --> beyerdynamic DT880 (250Ω, 2005 edition) / Logitech 2.1 speakers
For those wondering, the Edge amp takes RCA inputs.

This leads me to my 2 questions on adding the SU-DH1 to such a setup:
1) Wouldn't it mean double-amping the signal? Because the SU-DH1 is an amp as well, and then it would pass the signal to the Edge. I was given to believe that double-amping is bad.

2) Does anyone have experience using the SU-DH1 with 2.1 PC speakers? Do they mess up the "surround sound" decoding that the SU-DH1 does?

Thanks all.

Apr 27, 2010 at 12:16 PM Post #2 of 3
Yes, if you introduce the SU-DH1 in the chain there will be double amping. I wouldn't care too much during gaming, in my experience it's not noticeable in heat of things, but I would avoid it for music. I haven't extensively tested it, but a cheap volume control and amplifier in the DH1 cannot do much good. As for the speakers, just turn the DH processing off when you use them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back