Very New, Need Help.
Mar 14, 2011 at 5:09 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

FourForty

New Head-Fier
Hello Forum,

I need help.

I've been looking for new headphones, but i don't know what's around.

So, I like earbud style headphones.

I've never had any really good headphones before, But i do have some preferences/limitations.

I can't use the type that you jam in to your ear canal, I just can't. I can only use ones that just sit outside of it. like the way they used to all be.

I've been looking at the Bose IE2, but after looking over lots of threads on this forum, they seem not to be very popular. They fit really well, so ones with a similar design would be great, but not necessary.

My price range is about $100. give or take a little, but being in canada, there is a 12%tax at the till. So that limits me. I'd say, $130max before tax.

Every headphone i find is all that 'ear-canal' variety, i can't seem to use those. So, are there are other headphones on the market that are better for the price than the Bose?

Thanks in advance.

Mar 14, 2011 at 12:29 PM Post #2 of 12
There aren't very many earbuds that are supposed to be good.  One of the only "audiophile" brand that makes earbuds is Yuin.  Some people say they're good.  Some people say they suck.  I've never heard them myself.

Most people don't like earbuds very much so you won't find much written about them.  You'd be better off switching to a different style.

Mar 15, 2011 at 8:03 AM Post #5 of 12
Ear bud but not in the ear canal?  I have like 12 extra apple ones that they insist on including with each of the iThings I've bought.  I'll send you one for free.

I could be wrong, but I think it's pretty tough to get good sound, given the parameters you've offered.

Would you consider moving to a small/portable "on ear" type phone?  If so, there are many option that I know nothing about.

Mar 15, 2011 at 4:42 PM Post #6 of 12
@Maverikronin, I've tried other styles, such as around the ear, in-canal(i really don't know what the type names are), but the earbuds seem to be the only ones that work for me.

@Marcus_C, Thank you, This helped me a bit. It gave me some more knowledge, It helped me know more brands and options.

@chrisjackson, Those around the ear variety cause me great discomfort, so sadly, those ones will not do. I can't tell if the ear piece is removable. If so, they may be an option.

@Pitts Pilot, Thanks for the offer, but i find that the apple headphones sound terrible.

Basically, I'm not really that experienced in the audio world. I won't be able to tell the difference between a $80 pair and a $200 pair. ..yet.

That said, I've been using a pair of Panasonic RP-HV288 Headphones for the past few years. They've sounded better than any default pair that have come with any phone or MP3 player i've purchased. They fit well and were always comfortable.

I know i don't need top of the line audiophile gear. The Bose pair i mentioned, Would they do? I know people on this site tend to hate bose, but they sounded good to me, and were very comfortable. my only hesitation is price. If i can do better for less, i will. but i don't know where to look.

I'm tempted to buy them as they have a 100% 30-day money back policy. So if i find something better within 30 days, i can do that.
Besides bose being not quite top of the line, any other downsides to them? Sure, maybe i'll pay a bit more, but in my eyes, i'm paying for comfort, and just getting this all over with.

Thanks again for all the replies.

Mar 16, 2011 at 6:47 PM Post #7 of 12
It seems some better quality buds (not sure about all) need to be jammed into the ear a bit to get a seal otherwise they lack bass and are too trebly. Maybe this more sealed system is necessary to achieve the much cleaner bass than is possible with something like the Sansa Clip+ buds which I find work best inserted lightly.
Wonder was it the "StayHear" tips on the Bose which you found comfortable?
http://images.amazon.com/images/G/01/wireless/detail-page/bose-bluetoothheadset-eartip-lg.jpg
They look a bit like Yurbuds :
http://www.yurbuds.com/ybcart/earbud_enhancers?category_id=0

Mar 16, 2011 at 7:01 PM Post #8 of 12
I can't say if it was the stayhere tips, or the buds themselves. I asked the Bose store employee if they had the buds without the stayhere tips to try, but sadly they didn't. So i couldn't make that comparison.

I think it was just the combination of the two. I really wanted to try the buds without the tips. They definitely were comfortable. I couldn't even feel them in my ears.

They do have a small piece that sticks out a bit that snugs up against the ear canal, but doesn't really go in like the modern earbuds that go directly into the canal.

I just don't know if they're worth getting. I mean, They seem to be my only option at the moment. Not much else compares in regards to what i need for the price. I can't spend much more than what these cost, So unless something better comes up, These seem like what i'm leaning toward.

And like i said, I probably wouldn't be able to tell the difference between these and something better anyway, so i wouldn't really be losing anything.

Mar 16, 2011 at 9:38 PM Post #9 of 12
I am one of the few members here that like the Bose in ear. I am not a big fan of the Stay Hear tips though. You can usually find the last generation online for around $60.

Mar 16, 2011 at 10:32 PM Post #10 of 12
Does the previous generation sound any worse than the 2nd? if the only real difference is the stayhere tips, could i not just buy the stay here tip adapters? that would still save me money over buying the second generation? or is there other differences between the two generations?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back