Versatile Amp Recommendation?
Jul 4, 2012 at 3:50 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Kalnon

New Head-Fier
Hey everyone! Long time lurker, first time poster here

I'm in the market for a decent headphone amp to pair with a couple pairs of headphones. Right now, I use some low impedance Sennheiser PC 360. However, I recently ordered some Beyerdynamic DT770 PRO 250 ohm, which obviously need something to properly power them. I also tend to borrow my friends AKG Q701's quite a bit, since he rarely uses them.

I'm hoping to find an amp that is versatile enough to power, and sound great with these headphones. My budget isn't too extravagant, I'm looking for something <$300. Portability is not an issue, and the amp will always be at my desk. I've narrowed my search down to two possible choices, but I'm also looking for recommendations
smile.gif

The Schiit Asgard & The Matrix M Stage

At first, I was pretty set on the Asgard, being American made, 5 year warranty, and positive reviews. After hearing it can be finicky with a few cans though, I stumbled upon the M Stage. Which also seems like a very viable contender.

I'm hoping to receive some input on anyone's experiences with these amps with the gear mentioned above, or possible recommendations.

Thanks in advance!

Jul 4, 2012 at 5:38 PM Post #2 of 7
Welcome to Head Fi and sorry for your wallet.

Used pricing

SS- Heed Canamp
The 701s will be your hardest can to drive and for your budget, this amp has been recommended frequently here for them.

Tube- http://www.head-fi.org/t/612998/fs-audiotailor-jade-raytheon-5751-windmill-getter-tung-sol-5998
Very nice tube compliment and the 701s will do nicely with tubes.

I have no interest in either recommendation other than to assist with your request. I have owned neither but have experience with similar amps and tubes.

Jul 4, 2012 at 6:46 PM Post #3 of 7
Thanks for the recommendations.

The Heed amp looks nice, but it is a little bit over budget for me. As for the tube amp, I will definitly keep it in mind. This will be my first amp though, and I'm not sure if a tube based amp would suit me right out of the gate. I also understand that they add warmth to the overall sound.

Jul 4, 2012 at 7:40 PM Post #4 of 7
Quote:
Hey everyone! Long time lurker, first time poster here

I'm in the market for a decent headphone amp to pair with a couple pairs of headphones. Right now, I use some low impedance Sennheiser PC 360. However, I recently ordered some Beyerdynamic DT770 PRO 250 ohm, which obviously need something to properly power them. I also tend to borrow my friends AKG Q701's quite a bit, since he rarely uses them.

I'm hoping to find an amp that is versatile enough to power, and sound great with these headphones. My budget isn't too extravagant, I'm looking for something <$300. Portability is not an issue, and the amp will always be at my desk. I've narrowed my search down to two possible choices, but I'm also looking for recommendations
smile.gif

The Schiit Asgard & The Matrix M Stage

At first, I was pretty set on the Asgard, being American made, 5 year warranty, and positive reviews. After hearing it can be finicky with a few cans though, I stumbled upon the M Stage. Which also seems like a very viable contender.

I'm hoping to receive some input on anyone's experiences with these amps with the gear mentioned above, or possible recommendations.

What source(s) are you using at your desk?

If it's a computer, a used Xonar DX or D1 sound card ($55) comes with a decent DAC and the Fiio E9 headphone amplifier is a good value.
total under $200.

Jul 4, 2012 at 8:11 PM Post #5 of 7
Hey

Yeah, it's a computer. My source would be my current sound card. Creative x-fi fatality pro series. Newegg link : http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16829102005

Which sort of leads me to another question, I'm still rather new to all this. Depending on what amp I go with. I may need to buy a 3.5mm to RCA cable. Is it safe to plug the 3.5mm into my cards headphone out, then the RCA directly into the amps rca inputs?

Also, just for a little more clarity. The DT770 and PC360s will be my main headphones. The Q701s are not mine, they're just on loan to me quite frequently, hehe.

Jul 4, 2012 at 8:29 PM Post #6 of 7
Quote:
Yeah, it's a computer. My source would be my current sound card. Creative x-fi fatality pro series. Newegg link : http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16829102005

Which sort of leads me to another question, I'm still rather new to all this. Depending on what amp I go with. I may need to buy a 3.5mm to RCA cable. Is it safe to plug the 3.5mm into my cards headphone out, then the RCA directly into the amps rca inputs?

Also, just for a little more clarity. The DT770 and PC360s will be my main headphones. The Q701s are not mine, they're just on loan to me quite frequently, hehe.

Chances are the "Headphone jack" on the X-Fi Fatality Pro is more like a line-out jack that pretends to be a headphone jack.
So I'm guessing the Fiio E9 should be just fine with the sound card.
Monoprice would have a good price on the 3.5mm (1/8" mini-jack) to RCA (red/white) cable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back