Verdict on best headphone for ~$100
Jun 22, 2002 at 2:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

klipschter

Head-Fier
now we have a 3 page debate on the headphone for around $100 that is the best, but what about the final verdict? If you look in the thread you will see tons of terrific headphones, but which one pushes the most balanced bass, the smoothest midrange and the most crisp highs? Two verdicts really.

1. Best $100 headphone that does not require any amp
2. Best $100 headphone that requires and amp such as the altoid

It seems ot be a battle between

Sennheiser
Grado
KOSS
Sony
AKG
(whoelse?)

So, lets make a concensus, which can we all agree on is the best? Lets just make posts a single vote like...

Grade SR60

and what have you.

sound good? (pun very much intended
smily_headphones1.gif
)

p.s., maybe i can make this poll thing work...

Jun 22, 2002 at 3:54 PM Post #2 of 23
Hi klipschter... Welcome to Head-Fi
biggrin.gif

The vote(s) from the UK moderator are:

Without an amp :
Sony MDR-CD1700 $110 plus shipping (from www.askdirect.co.uk ~ and then an email to them)

With an amp :
Sennheiser HD580 $70 plus shipping from various UK online retailers

Jun 22, 2002 at 4:50 PM Post #3 of 23
Thanks for the welcome and reply
smily_headphones1.gif
(i am at the Klipsch forum as justin_tx_16)

Where did you find the HD 580's for $70? MSRP is nearly $260 haha. Personally I am looking at either the 580 or the 600, depending if the extra 200 bucks is worth it...

Jun 22, 2002 at 5:08 PM Post #4 of 23
Erm... Whoops, I guess I should've researched before I posted

The last time I checked, there were several places selling the HD580s for that cost (RicherSounds was the main one)...

If its of any consolation, This link is selling HD580s in the US for $170, and This webstite is selling HD600s for $170 (but based in the UK)

Jun 22, 2002 at 5:10 PM Post #5 of 23
Ducan,
I went to the website and try to order the CD-1700, however, I think they ran out of it (not available).

Jun 22, 2002 at 5:15 PM Post #6 of 23
Purk,

The CD1700 is not listed (hence my reference to sending them an email in my original post) but there were at least 30 pairs in their high-street shop when I went there 3 weeks ago, and I enquired for the purposes of Head-Fi and was told that they have further stock in their warehouse...

If the worst came to the worst... and they told you (Purk) that they couldn't ship to the US, I could probably pop into the shop, and pick up a pair to ship to you... but that isn't a habit that i'd wanna get into (generally speaking), else i'd have (worse case scenario) ten pairs of CD1700s, and no money
eek.gif
eek.gif

Jun 22, 2002 at 7:04 PM Post #7 of 23
For 100, I would no doubt recommend one of the Koss headphones. V6 imo is only good for some types of music. I like the Porta Pros the most out of the 35s, 55s, etc. Btw, where the hell do you get 42k to blow on a personal home theater at 16?

Jun 22, 2002 at 7:18 PM Post #8 of 23
Quote:

Originally posted by klipschter
Thanks for the welcome and reply
smily_headphones1.gif
(i am at the Klipsch forum as justin_tx_16)

Where did you find the HD 580's for $70? MSRP is nearly $260 haha. Personally I am looking at either the 580 or the 600, depending if the extra 200 bucks is worth it...

Why would you want Sennheisers. Klipsch speakers sound much more like Grados. Go with the SR-325s, and enjoy.

Jun 22, 2002 at 7:21 PM Post #9 of 23
The Grado's were not very comfortable for me. I did like the sound, but started to hurt after a while
frown.gif

The $42,000 home theater is my parents deal, not mine. But my parents know very little about it so I am building and designing it. I am 17 and live with my parents since I am in high school. (FAWC, i will be 18 in august... you can send presents too.... hehe)

Jun 22, 2002 at 7:36 PM Post #10 of 23
Klipschter, forgot to welcome you to Head-fi. If your looking for something exciting like Klipsch for under 100 bucks the Sony V-6 is a good choice. The midrange is not quit as forward as Klispch, but they are anything but boring. Good luck!

Jun 22, 2002 at 10:13 PM Post #12 of 23
Ok, so the Sony V-6 is a good one eh? I have never heard it, I had the Sony MD 380 and it was... ok. Certainly not worth the price I paid, $80. Could have gotton in online for nearly $35.

Is the build quality good? All the other Sony headphones I have owned or bummed a listen off of were cheaply made, very light and hollow and just cheap feeling, one reason I like the AKG, Senn and Grado's. All have that Quality feeling, also why I have not owned any KOSS. They just look cheap, i can not get around that. If only. That is why I love Klipsch. Great looks, solid build, and great sound.

i will need to really give them a listen, I think there might be a SONY store in Houston. I have been to the ones in Chicago and New York, but they a little too far away
smily_headphones1.gif

Right now I will go check out some AKG, Senn, KOSS, Sony, and a Grado at Tweeter.

thanks again, this went from a survey to a help klipschter find a headphone thread
smily_headphones1.gif
not meaning to do that. sorry haha
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 23, 2002 at 2:28 AM Post #13 of 23
The V6 are very well made, compared to any other headphone I've owned or demoed. They're very highly recommended around here, especially because of their price, but if you like bass that's anything more than highly accurate, they're probably not the can for you.

You know how having a good subwoofer in front of you is kind of like getting punched in the stomach? -- well, you can't get that in any headphone, of course, but say you had the headphone equivalent of that punch -- the V6 by comparison would be like your little sister poking you in the stomach. V6 bass is pin-point accurate and deep, but you really have to pay attention to it if you even want to hear the bass line. I like Grado bass much better.

kerelybonto

Jun 23, 2002 at 2:47 AM Post #15 of 23
My vote goes to the Sony MDR-D66. Lower end Grados have absolutely moronic driver matching, I'd avoid them like the plague for that alone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back