Variac questions......for use with 110v amps
Mar 4, 2008 at 11:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Pricklely Peete

Franken modder
Is anyone using a variac to step the mains V down from 120V to 110V for their amps spec'd for 110V ?

The benefits are obvious ..... is there an audible SQ disadvantage to a variac ?

What's the best current rating to purchase 5 or 10 amp ? What's the dif between a reg Variac and an isolated design ( 10 reg-120.00US..10amp isolated 135.00 US ) besides price ?

I know,
smily_headphones1.gif
loads of questions from the Peete.

Is it even worthwhile getting one these in the first place ?

TIA,

Peete.

Mar 5, 2008 at 12:25 AM Post #2 of 10
Hmmm, I don't have a variac kicking around to give it a try. Someone here might.

I do have a Monster Power AVS2000 in my system though. It was a prize I won at a MC training session during my years in audio retail. It buffers voltage swings in the line to maintain 120V, at the expense of amperage of course. It was Free! so I keep it in the system.

Mar 5, 2008 at 12:37 AM Post #3 of 10
That's what I thought ...with all the DIY guys here I wondered if someone had tried one on the Chinese imports.

Maybe I'll be the guinea pig and get a 10 amp door stop
smily_headphones1.gif

Dang...120 bones could buy half a pair of HD600's ....lol.

Do'h....buy a used variac.....sheesh I need a new brain. 59 bucks.

Mar 5, 2008 at 10:33 PM Post #5 of 10
I'd planned to buy one to see if reducing our household voltage from 124.5 VAC to 115 VAC would eliminate the physical hum I hear from some of the transformers in my gear, but concluded it might be an exercise in futility--an EE friend told me that many variacs, especially older used models, hum by themselves...so the location of the hum might change, but there would still be a hum in the listening room.

Mar 6, 2008 at 4:50 AM Post #6 of 10
Are all your outlets 125V? A little variation is OK but that's kinda high. Is it an old house. An older house I was renting a while back had one run of outlets with a few ceiling lights on it that was 125V. Most audio or video gear have enough regulation not to be harmed but simple stuff like light bulbs will burn out faster. Most homes that have unusual voltage readings are the result of years of DIY rewiring. You should take the gear that hums to a friends home and see if it hums there. If it doesn't, I'd have a licensed electrician check your wiring.

Mar 6, 2008 at 5:27 AM Post #7 of 10
You normally don't want to use a variac for that purpose. They are great to bring old equipment or something new that needs to be tested as it comes up to voltage but not as something in the line all the time. They are nothing more than a great big wire resistor with a contact that sweeps around, not the best connection to the AC for permanent use. They also get hot as they have to dissipate heat.

Mar 6, 2008 at 5:37 AM Post #8 of 10
Variacs are not use for that purpose, they are not voltage regulators...AFAIK they are used to bring old vintage equipment, especially the PSU caps back to life, using low voltage first and gradually increasing it to the desired final voltage ensure that the old caps will not suffer during the "resurrection" process, and will chage properly...

Mar 6, 2008 at 8:34 PM Post #9 of 10
I wondered about SQ issues. Thanks for the insight. My house was built in 2000 and is certified an R2000 home. The electrical power hovers between 125-128V year round.

The whole subdivision is only 4- 8 years old.

Would a 220V ---> 110V step down converter be a better idea. Would it work (not seeing 220V but 125V ) ?

Regards...

Peete.

Mar 6, 2008 at 11:22 PM Post #10 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pricklely Peete /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I wondered about SQ issues. Thanks for the insight. My house was built in 2000 and is certified an R2000 home. The electrical power hovers between 125-128V year round.

The whole subdivision is only 4- 8 years old.

Would a 220V ---> 110V step down converter be a better idea. Would it work (not seeing 220V but 125V ) ?

Regards...

Peete.

Peete regardless of the voltage at the input, most of the PSU nowdays are regulated, what means that they will absorb any excess, if it is not too much, and will give the equipment the same operating voltage, 128, even 130 if the voltage is rated to 120 volts is not that critical for any device, the standard is around 117volts...

If you place any step down you will create a problem and you will give the device half of the voltage...is your device rated for 100volts, or for 120volts???

Users who are viewing this thread

Back