Vantec 7.1 vs Xonar U3
Oct 15, 2011 at 7:02 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

DreamKing

500+ Head-Fier
Looking for a cheap temporary DAC. Both are at about the same price. I'm not too good with tech details so I'm looking for your input.

Vantec: http://www.vantecusa.com/en/product/view_detail/439
Xonar U3: http://www.asus.com/Multimedia/Audio_Cards/Xonar_U3/#specifications

I'm guessing since the Xonar has Dolby Digital that's an advantage over the Vantec in itself and I've also never heard of Vantec before, plus it has an amp whereas the Vantec doesn't...But I'm not sure. Vantec has 44/48khz (don't know about the bitrate), while the Xonar has 16 bit @ 48khz outputting at 20-20khz. Does this mean much realistically? And does 7.1 mean anything when using, in my case, Senn HD-558 headphones?

Thanks in advance.

Oct 18, 2011 at 6:13 AM Post #4 of 10

Vantec has 44/48khz, while the Xonar has 16 bit @ 48khz outputting at 20-20khz. Does this mean much realistically?

No; and the numbers don't tell you about the actual sound quality.

And does 7.1 mean anything when using, in my case, Senn HD-558 headphones?

Well, do your headphones have enough connectors to be plugged into the Vantec's four output jacks?
biggrin.gif

Oct 18, 2011 at 7:45 AM Post #5 of 10
Quote:
Well, do your headphones have enough connectors to be plugged into the Vantec's four output jacks?
biggrin.gif

Lol ya...I guess that answers that. I thought I could just plug it into the surround jack and expect some kind of surround but I guess that isn't going to work out is it? Bah I'll just go with the U3 temporarily until I get enough for something more substantial and save myself the hassle.

Oct 22, 2011 at 3:27 PM Post #7 of 10

Quote:
don't know your purpose.
this U3 is only good for gaming.
not for music and movie
and i have many useless options which make me confusing when first use.

how could it not be good for movies if it's good for gaming? and for music I would just use them as an amp before getting an amp more serious in that regard.

Oct 27, 2011 at 9:49 AM Post #8 of 10
in gaming it convert the sound to make in purer. so more easy to hear footstep. and because of converting , sound will not have full detail as default in movies. and i have could say that any cmss3d or dobly headphone is suck for  movies. i try alot. 

Oct 30, 2011 at 3:04 PM Post #9 of 10
The U3 has a headphone amplifier and comes with Dolby Digital.
The Vantec 7.1 does not list a headphone amplifier or Dolby Digital (Dolby Headphone 5.1).
So I really do not think the Vantec 7.1 would be any better then the U3.

Oct 30, 2011 at 3:07 PM Post #10 of 10

Quote:
in gaming it convert the sound to make in purer. so more easy to hear footstep. and because of converting , sound will not have full detail as default in movies. and i have could say that any cmss3d or dobly headphone is suck for  movies. i try alot. 

When you watch movies, do you set the U3 control panel to 6 channel (for Dolby Headphone 5.1)?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back