Vancouver Audiologists
Apr 18, 2010 at 7:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

kellen

New Head-Fier
Hi there,

So I need to get some impressions made of my ear canals.
I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with a good Vancouver, (prefer someone in the Kits area) audiologist?

I'd really appreciate to hear if anyone has had a particularly good or bad experience?

Thanks in advance!

Apr 19, 2010 at 7:12 AM Post #2 of 19
I don't have any direct experience, but if you go to Ultimate Ears' site and check out their custom IEM's, there should be a "Find Your Audiologist" link (or something to that affect). I'm pretty sure they have a recommended audiologist for Vancouver.

Apr 19, 2010 at 8:33 PM Post #3 of 19
yeah thanks QRomo, there seems to be lots of audiologists in Vancouver, UE suggests some, JH does as well. I'm just wondering more if anyone has any actual experience with an audiologist in Vancouver.
Thanks

Apr 23, 2010 at 7:33 PM Post #4 of 19
Any responses to this? I'm looking, too.

I've only found a single audiologist recommended in Vancouver, and that was on the UE site.

Jill Aitken - Audiologist
301-1200 Lonsdale Avenue
North Vancouver, BC V7M 3H6

I didn't find any on the JH site. Am I looking wrong? Jill's located conveniently enough for me, but if anyone has any personal recommendations, I'd like to hear it.

EDIT: Ok, I just called them, they are apparently part of the Sonus Network, but not listed on the Sonus Network website. They quoted me $50 per ear. In other threads people are posting $25 total. Holy cow! Is that what it costs here?

Apr 23, 2010 at 9:25 PM Post #5 of 19
hey baglunch, So I actually got my impressions made today. I got them done at Island hearing on W. broadway. The audiologist was named Asieh. It was 25$ an ear and they seemed to turn out good. But then again ear impressions aren't something I deal with on a daily bases. I gave them the specs from the JH audio website. All was good except she wasn't familiar with open jaw impressions, and as such she didn't have a bite block in her office
frown.gif
maybe? What ended up happening was that I ended up putting a hard candy in between my back teeth. This did keep my jaw open and steady through out the procedure, although I would have more confidence if they had used a bite block.

I also checked with Sonus and they quoted me 50 per ear. Maybe I should have gone with them. If i did it again, I would call the audiologist and specifically make sure they are familiar with open jaw impressions.

Apr 23, 2010 at 9:50 PM Post #6 of 19
Thanks for the info, kellen. Hope your customs turn out well! Let us know!

May 6, 2010 at 3:50 PM Post #9 of 19

CSIR: I've looked at your links a few times, scratching my head.... it looks like Beth is a reseller, not an audiologist, and not in Vancouver, anyway.  Is that correct?

Quote:
I'm going through Beth Orliss; she is a really nice person and said if I had any problems with my customs she would deal with the company that made the ear molds. This is her website Custom In Earphones for Your Comfort from Hearing Dynamics

Here is the times article she is in:
Earbud Review: Best Headphones for Price, Hearing Safety - TIME

May 6, 2010 at 8:06 PM Post #10 of 19
Yes and no.  I think she has 3 degrees in audiology and she does the impressions for a lot of big acts.  She seems very knowledgeable.  She is not in Van but like I said she will tell you who to see and you get a discount buying from her.

Mar 3, 2011 at 2:19 PM Post #11 of 19
I went to the JH Audio recommended audiologist to get impressions done for my JH-16s. 

Carol Jardine-Lau

Sound idEars, Hearing and Speech Therapy
750 West Broadway Avenue, Suite 1212
Vancouver, BC V5Z 1J2
info@sounidears.com
www.soundidears.com
604/708/9780
Fax: 604/708/9785

The receptionist told me it wasn't going to be the actual audiologist doing it, but someone else who usually does impressions (there was term for her, but I forget now).  I said as long as she's the one who was recommended by JH Audio, then that's great.  It was only $50, and she was very nice.  They used the cotton dams as recommended, and she had me do an open mouth impression.  There wasn't a bite block, but that didn't seem to be a big deal.  At the end she asked me to open and close my mouth a couple times (I imagine to loosen the impressions).

I've gotten my JH16s back, and the right one is a 100% perfect fit and let left one is probably 90%.  It's so close that I probably won't bother sending it back.  If my ears are wet from getting out of the shower, and I'm walking it makes a popping suction sound.  This mostly goes away when my ear is completely dry, though I still get it a little bit.  She also told me if I needed new impressions for a refit, it would be free.  I'd definitely recommend them for Vancouver (a couple other places were $100).

Mar 3, 2011 at 2:34 PM Post #12 of 19
Yea island hearing is very reliable. i got mine done at island hearing in coquitlam because i live around there and it turned out fantastic. 25 dollars like Kellen said. not sure if the audiologist is still in at that location though..

Mar 4, 2011 at 12:34 AM Post #14 of 19
Where'd everyone from Vancouver pop-out from?

Didn't see this many when I was still there =O

Jan 8, 2012 at 1:49 PM Post #15 of 19
Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but does anyone have anymore recommendations for an audiologist in Vancouver? I'd be especially interested in hearing the opinions of those who have actually gotten their customs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back