Valhalla 2 review coming soon!
Jul 21, 2014 at 2:05 AM Post #76 of 907
Today I thew in some 6N6P-i NOVOSIBIRSK tubes with my e88cc Telefunkan ilm tubes and wholly molly what a huge jump in detail. I can hear everything. The mids and highs are so milky creamy. No more gritting high frequencies anymore through my Beyer T1's.  I wouldn't advise everyone to do what I have done as its cost a fair bit of money. The Telefunkans were $300 a pair. The good news is the Russian 6n6p's are only $30 a pair. I prefer this match better than the Mullards and the Gold lions. For me the electro harmonic 6h30p's didn't have a very pleasing low end. I could hear distortion.

Jul 21, 2014 at 8:16 AM Post #77 of 907
How much burn in are you guys doing on your Valhalla 2? I read some of  are leaving it powered on for huge amounts of time?

Jul 21, 2014 at 5:03 PM Post #78 of 907
its all depends.. for me and my telefunkans they sound spectacular straight away and they will only get better.  I don't believe in leaving the amp on for long periods. I say play it as normal and enjoy the ride. 

Jul 21, 2014 at 5:21 PM Post #79 of 907
  How much burn in are you guys doing on your Valhalla 2? I read some of  are leaving it powered on for huge amounts of time?

I now use it a couple hours per day for about 3 weeks. In the beginning I liked the low-gain mode better on my Shure 1840. Recently I discovered the high-gain mode has more PRAT and dynamics while before it sounded a bit too restless to my taste. So I guess my Valhalla 2 is now officially beyond the burn-in phase.

Jul 21, 2014 at 5:35 PM Post #80 of 907
  its all depends.. for me and my telefunkans they sound spectacular straight away and they will only get better.  I don't believe in leaving the amp on for long periods. I say play it as normal and enjoy the ride. 

+1 , I did exactly that.

It should sound good straight from the start.

Jul 21, 2014 at 6:01 PM Post #81 of 907
  Today I thew in some 6N6P-i NOVOSIBIRSK tubes with my e88cc Telefunkan ilm tubes and wholly molly what a huge jump in detail. I can hear everything. The mids and highs are so milky creamy. No more gritting high frequencies anymore through my Beyer T1's.  I wouldn't advise everyone to do what I have done as its cost a fair bit of money. The Telefunkans were $300 a pair. The good news is the Russian 6n6p's are only $30 a pair. I prefer this match better than the Mullards and the Gold lions. For me the electro harmonic 6h30p's didn't have a very pleasing low end. I could hear distortion.

I never understood the application of 6N30P for audio. It has a higher pulse cathode current at the expense of higher capacitance between electrodes. In other words it is slower. They claim it is more linear than 6N6P (never saw any proof) but in case this is true, after a certain point, audio benefits more from timing then from linearity. This tube could very well be nothing more than an expensive hype. It is used by (expensive) names like Audio Research and Conrad Johnson however. The Russians developed the tube for rocket applications and it is highly durable. I myself tend not to shoot my amplifier into space. It is right next to me on a very serviceable location.

Jul 21, 2014 at 6:28 PM Post #82 of 907
  I never understood the application of 6N30P for audio. It has a higher pulse cathode current at the expense of higher capacitance between electrodes. In other words it is slower. They claim it is more linear than 6N6P (never saw any proof) but in case this is true, after a certain point, audio benefits more from timing then from linearity. This tube could very well be nothing more than an expensive hype. It is used by (expensive) names like Audio Research and Conrad Johnson however. The Russians developed the tube for rocket applications and it is highly durable. I myself tend not to shoot my amplifier into space. It is right next to me on a very serviceable location.

for me the NOVOSIBIRSK tubes are the revelation who would of thought such a cheap 6n6p would sound so fantastic. I love its sound so much I have ordered another pair this time 60's vintage again for under $30 . Its the best bargain and a fantastic match for the ilm telefunkan ecc88's

Jul 22, 2014 at 9:13 PM Post #83 of 907
Mine is stuck in customs and there is a typhoon here in Taiwan. Plus I gotta pay a further 100 US. Yikes..

Jul 26, 2014 at 12:00 AM Post #85 of 907
Not much mor
  Keep those updates coming......   inquiring minds want to know.  

OOK

not much more to add besides saying the russian novosibirsk 6n6p's with the telefunkan e88cc's for me are the ultimate coupling. Everey style of music from classical , opera blues jazz etc sound equally good. As I use them more the sound stage is feeling wider and spacious .

Jul 28, 2014 at 12:33 PM Post #86 of 907
Purchased one of these bad boys, waiting for it to ship! Really looking forward to using it with my HD 650s. Anyone know how well this pairs with a Modi (not that I'm going to buy more Schiit anytime soon)?

Jul 29, 2014 at 1:44 AM Post #87 of 907
I too ordered a Valhalla 2 for a set of HD650's.  It'll be fed from an Aune T1 with an Amperex 7308.  Got the HD650s but the T1 can't really drive them to their full glory.  Plan to run it stock, but I must admit Telefunkens and Novosibirsks are tempting.   Source is USB - FLAC when possible, but also AAC/MP3, especially stuff my wife buys.  (Sigh.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back