Vacuum feeling when using M9 with silicon tips
Oct 15, 2010 at 3:58 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

voicemaster

Headphoneus Supremus
Hello there guys, I am having a little bit of trouble here with my M9. I just recently purchased it and have been using it for the past week. I noticed that when I am using it, I got this vacuum sound and feeling in my ear. I have tried different silicone tips that I have (both single and bi-flanged) and all of them give the same feeling. I have Denon C700 and C551 and never have this problem before. Even with my Shure E2C which should be inserted deeper, I rarely have this kind of problem. I even tried the tips that I use for my M9 onto my C700 and C551, both doesn't have this problem at all. When I got this vacuum feeling, the sound from my M9 also change. It sounds hollow, small and very little bass. I checked if there it isn't sealed tightly, but I feel the pressure in my ear like a suction cup. I tried to opened up my mouth when inserting them, but still get the same result. I wonder if shure olives will help with this problem.

Oct 15, 2010 at 6:26 AM Post #2 of 6
I had this problem a bit with the m9's, i've no idea what it's caused by and would be interested to know why some earphones are affected and not others. For these and the sf.4's which also suffer from it a bit I used s-series comply's, it reduced the effect for me. If you haven't got any of those have you any orange foamies from your e2c's? they're quite useful on the sf.4 but I never tried them on the m9's. tbh i only noticed a change in sound from me continually moving the earpieces  and compromising fit rather than the sound changing on it's own.

Oct 15, 2010 at 12:49 PM Post #3 of 6
I also notice that the sound changes everytime I move my head. Tilted my head to the front and the sound will change, opening my mouth will definitely change the sound also. When I am using my C700 and C551 this problem almost never occur even with the same tip I am using for my M9.
I haven't tried the orange foam for my M9. The M9 has a bigger casing (which hold the tip) than any other IEMs that I have. I have tried the shure black tips and it actually makes it worst
frown.gif

Oct 16, 2010 at 8:04 AM Post #5 of 6
I have this feeling when I use Sony hybrid silicone tips. I think its because when you push them in, you are squashing your ear canal and then when you let go, the seal is so good that your ear canal expands, you get negative air pressure inside with no relief, so it pulls on your ear drum.

So what I do is, pull my ear away from my head while I insert. That way, you stretch out and expand the ear canal. When you let go, the ear canal goes back to normal size and there is no negative pressure.

I don't know if that really is the principle but it works for me.

Oct 16, 2010 at 11:49 PM Post #6 of 6
i'll try that 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back