V200 Vs Soloist?
Aug 7, 2012 at 4:59 PM Post #2 of 23
Really different designs. The Burson is all discrete and the Violectric has some opamps mixed with discrete. They probably both sound good in their own ways. But not many people have heard the new Burson yet. 

Aug 7, 2012 at 5:27 PM Post #3 of 23
The user Loevhagen own both amps, try asking on the Soloist thread. 

Aug 19, 2012 at 12:27 AM Post #4 of 23
I've heard the V200 at a store, about 30 minutes listening time on a pair of Beyer T1's. Then I had the Soloist in the office for a demo about two weeks ago and I gave it good going with My HD600's (recabled with VDH 3T). My memory of the V200 is that it's just very slightly on the dark side of things, hence making the T1's, which I do not like, sound very decent. And the Soloist just didn't wow me as much as the 160D did (amp section only). It's a very good amp but somehow it lacked just a bit of slam when compared to it's bigger brother. It's a more musical amp as the name "Soloist" would suggest. At this time, I myself am stll very much on the fence between these two very fine amps.

Aug 19, 2012 at 12:37 AM Post #5 of 23
Have extensively compared the V100/V200 against most of Burson's offerings 160 range etc not the Soloist, if the Soloist are anything like the 160's then the V200 will sound slightly better, V100/V200 are tad bit warm, so it also depends on what headphones you will be using them with.

Aug 19, 2012 at 5:42 AM Post #6 of 23
I love the V200 for the LCD2r2, but sadly the V200 and the LCD-3 combination is a bit to "dull". When I replaced my DAC (Hegel HD10) to V800, the sound opened up a tad. With the Soloist and the V800, I now can enjoy the LCD-3 fully. :)

I still enjoy the V200/LCD-2r2 combo, though. The Soloist powering the LCD-2r2, can at high volumes at seldom times / recordings become a bit too bright. But now I am really nitpicking here. The Soloist is tuned a tad brighter than the V200, but there is now difference in detail presentation. The V200 has a slight more "fun factor" than the Soloist. That can be interpreted in a wrong way, I know.

Bottomline of the story: If you want a tad brighter sound; the Soloist will provide that over the V200.

Soloist avd V200 are both flexible and very capable amplifiers. The V200 is specified more powerful at 50ohms. The Soloist is prettier (ha, ha). LCD-2 fits both amplifiers. LCD-3 fits the Soloist.

PostScript: I had the HA-160D and the V200 one year ago, but sold the HA-160D. Now, with the Soloist - that won't happen. Both Soloist and V200 are keepers. 

Sep 13, 2012 at 10:44 PM Post #7 of 23
I'm trying to decide between the V200, the Soloist and the 160D. When I do decide, I will also be getting one of the separate DACs to go a long with it (V800 or DA-160). I'm currently using HD650s with a NuForce Icon HDP but also plan on getting DT880 600ohm and/or LCD 2r2s in the near future. Tough decision as I am unable to to test any of these amps in person, so any advice would be greatly appreciated. (I'm leaning towards the V200..)

Sep 14, 2012 at 12:57 AM Post #8 of 23
Quote:
I'm trying to decide between the V200, the Soloist and the 160D. When I do decide, I will also be getting one of the separate DACs to go a long with it (V800 or DA-160). I'm currently using HD650s with a NuForce Icon HDP but also plan on getting DT880 600ohm and/or LCD 2r2s in the near future. Tough decision as I am unable to to test any of these amps in person, so any advice would be greatly appreciated. (I'm leaning towards the V200..)

It would be a good thing for you to wait. I have noticed that Burson released a new 3 on 1 unit: the conductor. Featuring a ESS SABRE32 chip with added features and functions 
basshead.gif

HA-160D big brother. 

Sep 14, 2012 at 8:50 AM Post #10 of 23
I owned and sold the V200 a fine amp.It bass is tipped and has a smaller sound stage than the Soloist. The V200 is warmer and mimics a tube sound. The Soloist is more neutral and balanced. Very transparent and does not try to mimic a tube amp. I have a tube amp so the Soloist fits my needs more. i preferred it over the V200. Its a matter of preference. I also like the easier to use gain adjustments. The casings is also very nice as is the V200.

Sep 14, 2012 at 12:22 PM Post #11 of 23
probably this's the reason I prefer the v200 to the soloist. I like the tube sound but hate the tube itself
Quote:
I owned and sold the V200 a fine amp.It bass is tipped and has a smaller sound stage than the Soloist. The V200 is warmer and mimics a tube sound. The Soloist is more neutral and balanced. Very transparent and does not try to mimic a tube amp. I have a tube amp so the Soloist fits my needs more. i preferred it over the V200. Its a matter of preference. I also like the easier to use gain adjustments. The casings is also very nice as is the V200.

Sep 14, 2012 at 4:34 PM Post #12 of 23
The two latter post just shows that preferences are vital and real. I prefer the 3rd option for some music. :)

Sep 16, 2012 at 1:46 AM Post #14 of 23
man this third option is inneed huge bigger than both v200 and soloist together.  I haven't consider the Mjolnir yet since it's just too big and I don't want to go balance at the moment but some friends of mine said this one is a dynamic monster nothing under 1k can beat its dynamic impact.  
Quote:
The two latter post just shows that preferences are vital and real. I prefer the 3rd option for some music. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back