V-moda XS?
Apr 20, 2014 at 6:20 PM Post #4 of 24
  You mean besides the obligatory physical differences? The sound isn't much different, to be honest. The M-100s are basically a larger M-80 and the XS are basically a refined M-80.

M-100: over-ear (obviously bigger), cliqfold design, play share (cable connection to each earcup), better isolation, more sub-bass, slightly recessed mids, treble roll off.
M-80: on-ear (need a bit of adjustment once you put these on), non-folding and only cable connection to one earcup, mediocre isolation, not as much bass, more mid forward, treble roll off
XS: on-ear (imho, improved fitment over M-80, "mind the gap"), less clamping force thus not as good isolation, cliqfold design (SUPER compact), playshare (cable connection to each earcup), more refined/detailed sound due to upper-mids/treble extension.

Between M-80 and XS, without even a blink of an eye go with XS unless you find a super deal on second hand M-80 (still great headphones).  Between M-100 and M-80 - different sound.  If you are basshead, need more sound isolation, and don't care much about vocals and other upper mids/treble details - M-100 is the way to go.  If you want a more balanced sound with greater details, and don't mind lesser noise isolation, while still want a super compact size - XS is your friend.

Apr 20, 2014 at 6:44 PM Post #5 of 24
I have the m-100 and love them... I generally would consider myself a bass head though I do like neutral as well. I bought the new bose freestyle earbuds since I was looking more at function then sound quality as a top priority and found I don't like it doesn't have the slightest amount of isolation (I figured it would block some). Going to return them to Amazon and was wondering how much more neutral is the xs to the m -100?

Sent from my SM-N900T

Apr 20, 2014 at 6:54 PM Post #6 of 24
I have the m-100 and love them... I generally would consider myself a bass head though I do like neutral as well. I bought the new bose freestyle earbuds since I was looking more at function then sound quality as a top priority and found I don't like it doesn't have the slightest amount of isolation (I figured it would block some). Going to return them to Amazon and was wondering how much more neutral is the xs to the m -100?

Sent from my SM-N900T

XS will be more neutral and have less bass in comparison to M-100, but overall as I mentioned it will add a layer of details due to an improvement in upper mids/treble.  You still get bass, just not the same level of sub-bass, though once you push these with your hands to your ears you will hear/feelt it :wink:  Personally, I prefer XS because it's great for any music style, and I value quality of vocal presentation over extra bass.

Apr 20, 2014 at 6:58 PM Post #7 of 24

XS will be more neutral and have less bass in comparison to M-100, but overall as I mentioned it will add a layer of details due to an improvement in upper mids/treble.  You still get bass, just not the same level of sub-bass, though once you push these with your hands to your ears you will hear/feelt it :wink:  Personally, I prefer XS because it's great for any music style, and I value quality of vocal presentation over extra bass.

I personally love bass over anything else an while i do want the treble and mids there the M-100 is probably the prefect headphones for me. I am willing to sacrifice bass and Sub-bass for improvement in the mids/treble though to a certain extent. to simply put does it sacrifice a significant amount though?  

Apr 20, 2014 at 7:56 PM Post #8 of 24

I personally love bass over anything else an while i do want the treble and mids there the M-100 is probably the prefect headphones for me. I am willing to sacrifice bass and Sub-bass for improvement in the mids/treble though to a certain extent. to simply put does it sacrifice a significant amount though?  

Not a significant amount.  You still get a decent mid-bass punch with XS.  I don't have a big head, and with a light clamping force of XS the low end amount is very subjective to that.  To be honest, I think you better off ordering XS from Amazon and doing A/B with M-100 on your favorite tracks.  We all judge from a different perspective, so better use your own ears for a final judgment :wink:  If your head it bigger, you might get a better isolation and bigger quantity of sub-bass.

Apr 20, 2014 at 8:04 PM Post #9 of 24

Not a significant amount.  You still get a decent mid-bass punch with XS.  I don't have a big head, and with a light clamping force of XS the low end amount is very subjective to that.  To be honest, I think you better off ordering XS from Amazon and doing A/B with M-100 on your favorite tracks.  We all judge from a different perspective, so better use your own ears for a final judgment :wink:  If your head it bigger, you might get a better isolation and bigger quantity of sub-bass.

The thing is i get charged Tax on amazon which would bring the price up for me to $217 and i get a lot less then compared to v-moda.com which charges no tax + free cable and customized shields 

Apr 21, 2014 at 7:27 PM Post #10 of 24
I have ordered directly from V-Moda and their customer service was excellent, so if you choose to them direct you should be very satisfied.

Does anyone know if they come with the splitter cable that comes with the M-100? It is really a nice bit of engineering and I don't hear the static I hear from just about every other splitter I purchased over the past few years. The M-100 was for my son, but I bought some to use with my headphones when my daughter and I watch movies on my iPad.

Apr 21, 2014 at 7:30 PM Post #11 of 24
I have ordered directly from V-Moda and their customer service was excellent, so if you choose to them direct you should be very satisfied.

Does anyone know if they come with the splitter cable that comes with the M-100? It is really a nice bit of engineering and I don't hear the static I hear from just about every other splitter I purchased over the past few years. The M-100 was for my son, but I bought some to use with my headphones when my daughter and I watch movies on my iPad.

From the unboxing videos i have seen they don't but honestly if i ever needed it I could just the one that came with my M-100. I honestly was going to buy from V-moda since they don't charge tax but since i have a $84 dollar credit with amazon i am going to buy it there  but wondering will the white become Dirty gray eventually? 

Apr 23, 2014 at 12:43 PM Post #13 of 24
 Depends on your listening volume from source. If you're listening at max volume, then the XS is very harsh and abrasive in the highs and upper mids, also you lose a lot of bass. But if you listen at lower levels things warm up considerably. Isolation is not as good as the M-100, but only slightly worse. They can sound a bit tinny if you're coming from the M-100.

Stick with the M-100's until you find something better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back