V-moda vibes
May 20, 2009 at 4:28 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

oskarcaz

New Head-Fier
So i'm buying a new set of earphones for my friend, she loves listening to techno and having a strong bass an feelin like she's in the club. Well I was looking around and i'm not looking to spend more than around 50-75 for these earphones. I was thinking about the vibes but i heard they were not of best quality and didn't sound that great. She's a basshead so any other IEM's you guys can reccommend around that price range? thanks

May 22, 2009 at 1:49 AM Post #3 of 15
V-moda used to come here and answer questions. There was some issues with quality and the wire giving up too soon but I don't know the issues now. I do believe the earlier buds sounded better but there was still an issue with the wire. I have some of the original ones and they are still going and sound pretty good but they "adjusted" the sound after that.

May 22, 2009 at 1:55 AM Post #4 of 15
Hmmm, i see. Is there any other IEMs with a large amount of bass you could suggest that are around 75 bucks?

I've been searching the site and seems like the NuForce NE-7M are one of the best bang for the buck. Can anyone comment on the bass on these?

May 22, 2009 at 3:23 AM Post #5 of 15
I have a pair, have had them a little over a year. I have sent one pair back already because one of the bus blew out. They are OK, I have enjoyed them, but thinking about looking for something else in that price range at the moment (prob etymonic, also shure have a pair in that range too). I have bought a couple of pairs of of the v-moda bass freq, their cheaper model, and everyone has liked them.

May 22, 2009 at 3:28 AM Post #6 of 15
I had a pair of vibe duos (iphone mic) and did not like them. yeah, they had a lot of bass but it felt very muddy. everything sounded too low so there wasn't much impact (IMO) with the bass that was there.

very little range.

the thing is, I don't have firsthand experience with any other headphones in that price range to compare. sorry.

May 22, 2009 at 4:24 AM Post #7 of 15
Well after reading some reviews i think i'm just gonna go ahead and buy the Nuforce NE-7M. Not much to lose. Hope these have sufficient bass. On a last note, can anyone comment on the ZAGG Z.Buds? Making my final desicion between these two budget phones. thanks

May 22, 2009 at 6:15 AM Post #8 of 15
If you're looking at V-moda vibes, you might want to save a pretty penny by buying a pair of Lenntek Sonix. I used to have both them and the vibes, and they sound very similar to me. However, vibes are 3x the cost, so they had to go back
smily_headphones1.gif
. Costco had em for $20 for a while. They are definitely a basshead's (which i am not) headphones, but they easily stack up to the vibes in highs and mids (which is to say... a little above meh).

I have not personally heard the NE-7M's but they are next on my list. Can't pass them up with so many favorable comments floating around.

May 22, 2009 at 3:32 PM Post #9 of 15
The first gen Vibes weren't bad. They sounded better than what you can buy now, and thats probably why they were the flavor of the month here for about a month.

Anyway, there are better options available now for sure. I think the nuforces are a good way to go.

Mar 18, 2011 at 11:01 PM Post #11 of 15
I've owned the original and 2nd iteration Vibes (the first was much better IMO) and found the Rockford Fosgate Punch Plugs to have a similar sound, though the mids & highs are a bit recessed in comparison recalling from memory. There's a ton of bass (their strong point for sure). I think they're about $58 on Amazon right now. They've been my fallback buds and provide a fun/house sound. They don't look as cool as the Vibes though, if that matters.

Apr 5, 2011 at 6:52 PM Post #12 of 15
The V-Moda Vibes (1st iteration) sounded very nice for what it was worth (around $120 at the time I bought it at)

Just to warn future users,
My headphone jack became disconnected with the body after many connects/disconnects with the iPod headphone jack. So currently it is just dangling around.
I never really liked the straight headphone jack design, mainly because of this reason. There is nothing for the headphone jack to hold onto other than the glue that's on it sticking to the casing.
Another thing, there had rips along the actual cord itself, mainly in the areas of the seam. I have temporarily fixed that by applying a industrial rubber solvent to cover up the rip, but alas it was just not meant to be.

Jun 29, 2011 at 9:15 PM Post #13 of 15
I have owned pairs of vmoda vibes for the past three to four years and they were really my introduction into IEMs besides the stock iPod buds. The comment that the vibes pack a large thump is certainly accurate. A thumping bass is one thing these phones have going for them. Unfortunately, the bass is extremely overpowering and has a great lack of clarity. Still, if all an individual wants is to be able to bump the lows, these are a pretty cheap way to do it.

Now onto construction. I am on my third pair of vibes because of the cabling. Although the nylon coat does help with tangling and gives them a unique feel, the wire often breaks after simple use for about 6 months.

Jul 20, 2011 at 11:42 AM Post #14 of 15
I owned the Vibes and used them exclusively as my primary IE for quite a while. But unlike many of those spoken of here, I am thinking mine must have been a later gen edition, because the one I had, had the V-Plug Jack design (much more sturdy than the straight plug design). I never had any issues with the plug.

I did have to initially send back the first pair of them I bought, because of a 'crinkle' noise I heard in the left earpiece upon insertion (each and every time I inserted them). This really had me concerned, so I brought it to their attention, and they replaced them immediately with absolutely NO questions whatsoever --- the replacement pair did not make that same sound upon insertion).

I also thought that the SQ of the Vibes was fantastic, IMHO (specifically the replacement pair, which sounded way better than the first pair I had owned, prior to that one). But I recently sold them, and now kind of wish I hadn't
frown.gif

Jul 30, 2011 at 10:34 PM Post #15 of 15
i used the Vibes as my primary IEMs for about 9 months and I loved it (now I have the VBs). I had the original one and my friend (LOVEPIXY on Head Fi) had the revised one and the original one is noticeably better in terms of SQ but little things like the jack is better on the 2nd ones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back