V-MODA VAMP: DEVELOPMENT/REVIEWS/PICS/ETC
Jun 16, 2012 at 4:19 PM Post #316 of 710
The review in the above post (#315) is making stuff up.  It says "We connected a pair of Logitech Ultimate Ears Custom In-Ear monitors", pretty sure custom IEM's (no model specified) only fit one person, i.e. it should at least say "We connected my pair...".

"Inside the Vamp are dual 150mW amps"  No, that's the mW output in stereo.

"Overall, we found music a bit fuller, and bass more driving, but it wasn't a night-and-day difference. On Shakira's "Hips Don't Lie," the bass line resonated a bit more, the same as on Jay-Z's "Empire State of Mind,"  Not a night and day difference compared to which DAC using which Amp?

Jun 16, 2012 at 4:38 PM Post #317 of 710
I just purchased an I.Fuzen HP-1 that does almost everything the Vamp does minus the DAC and some inputs for $59!  They have two different models.  This is the lower priced version that basically just has more battery management options.  It is also available in black and white to match your Iphone.  If, like me, you like the concept of the Vamp, but think the price is outrageous and don't think the features such as a DAC are worth an extra $590, I wholeheartedly recommend the I.Fuzen. 

I spent all day using it and it integrates seamlessly with my Iphone, offers significant battery backup and provides a noticeable improvement in bass punch, clarity and soundstage.  I switched back and forth between my I phone and I.Fuzen jack.  My B&W C5 in-ears had a fuller sound and I perceived a wider sound stage with greater clarity in vocals.  I experienced improvement in every genre- from 70's soft rock to pop and even hip hop.  The I.Fuzen was warm in a good way and smoothed out any rough edges on the high end of my C5's. Please note the difference is not dramatic, but is noticeable.

This unit upgrades the quality of my portable Iphone listening experience at a price I could afford.  The battery life was a few hours less than spec and I would have preferred some sort of EQ option such as a bass boost as I have with my FiiO E11, but I simply adjusted the EQ through the player.  Other than that, the I.Fuzen exceeds my expectations. 

All things being equal, of course the Vamp is a vastly superior product, but I believe this is the best audio accessory value available today that is designed specifically for the Iphone 4/4S.  I highly recommend this product if your budget doesn't allow for the Vamp.

http://www.ifuzen.com/product.php

Jun 16, 2012 at 4:39 PM Post #318 of 710
@our martin, I know you mean well, but posting full reviews is really a no no, or am I the only one? 
Post a small quote, your take and a link. 

Jun 16, 2012 at 4:55 PM Post #319 of 710
I just purchased an I.Fuzen Hp-1 for $59 that does almost everything the Vamp does minus the DAC and some inputs for $59!

All things being equal, of course the Vamp is a superior product, but I believe this is the best audio accessory value available today that is designed specifically for the Iphone 4/4S.  I highly recommend this product if your budget doesn't allow for the Vamp.

http://www.ifuzen.com/product.php

To be honest, the iPhone already costs $500 more than smartphones which already do everything you need them to, so a $59 audio product with a $700 smartphone only indicates the user isn't very interested in audio quality.

You could always use a 90's Nokia phone and buy a Colorfly C4 or iBasso DX100, in contrast.

Jun 16, 2012 at 5:03 PM Post #320 of 710
Quote:

To be honest, the iPhone already costs $500 more than smartphones which already do everything you need them to, so a $59 audio product with a $700 smartphone only indicates the user isn't very interested in audio quality.

You could always use a 90's Nokia phone and buy a Colorfly C4 or iBasso DX100, in contrast.

resisting the urge to say ... BURNED lol.

But I do agree, then again its not so simple, Many people pay a lot less for there phones. In south Africa you pretty much get them free depending on your contract. Then again we have some of the highest rates in the world so I better get it for next to nothing.

Jun 16, 2012 at 5:08 PM Post #321 of 710
Quote:

In the US, most of the Iphone's cost is subsidized by the cell phone provider, so your comment regarding the cost difference is inaccurate.  Also, there's no need to attack my interest in audio quality because you are a cheerleader for the Vamp.  I didn't say the Vamp isn't a good product, just that it doesn't fit the budget of many audio enthusiasts and audiophiles.  Being able to afford higher end gear and being a Headphoneus Supremus, doesn't mean one is more "interested" in audio quality.  I would like to think that type of snobbery has no place here as those who appreciate quality headphone sound cut across all boundaries.  I happen to prefer the Itunes interface and have appreciated quality audio with my home system since I was 13 years old.

Jun 16, 2012 at 5:15 PM Post #322 of 710
Not being a snob, just saying the iPhone is really expensive to start with.  Seems to vary a lot from country to country though, in some places you have to buy it for $700, no such concept as phones with contract, that's mostly American, just fyi.

So, if you're buying $700+$600, you have cash to spend, that's all. 

The VAMP seems to use a high quality DAC and high quality Amp section, I haven't heard it so I don't know, and sure the differences are pretty subtle in the differences of DAC quality, but they are very important to some, that's all. =p

Jun 16, 2012 at 5:20 PM Post #323 of 710
Quote:
Not being a snob, just saying the iPhone is really expensive to start with.  Seems to vary a lot from country to country though, in some places you have to buy it for $700, no such concept as phones with contract, that's mostly American, just fyi.

The VAMP seems to use a high quality DAC and high quality Amp section, I haven't heard it so I don't know, and sure the differences are pretty subtle in the differences of DAC quality, but they are very important to some, that's all. =p

It's all good.  Fyi, I really like how V-Moda operates as a company and am very much looking forward to their M-100.  Also, the Iphone is as little as $49 in the US with a cell phone contract.

Jun 16, 2012 at 5:24 PM Post #325 of 710
Quote:

I dunno, the US, Korea, and South Africa (We started the trend, and we were also one of the first to have capped data tiers.) are some of the examples off of the top of my mind with Cellular Contracts where they give you the device for a small fee depending on the contract offcourse. But this is OT. 

Jun 16, 2012 at 5:32 PM Post #327 of 710
Originally Posted by WiR3D /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I dunno, the US, Korea, and South Africa

In a lot of places you just buy the phone though, for example in Indonesia the newest Blackberry on release will be up to ~$1000 USD, so it's a status symbol, and they never heard of free phones with contracts.

Anyway, the Vamp is cheaper than the Fostex HP-P1 right?  A review of them is in order, since the Fostex is a real quality amplifier.  In the meantime, real value seekers can go for something like the Colorfly CK4 or iBasso D-Zero.

Jun 16, 2012 at 5:39 PM Post #328 of 710
Quote:

In a lot of places you just buy the phone though, for example in Indonesia the newest Blackberry on release will be up to ~$1000 USD, so it's a status symbol, and they never heard of free phones with contracts.

Anyway, the Vamp is cheaper than the Fostex HP-P1 right?  A review of them is in order, since the Fostex is a real quality amplifier.  In the meantime, real value seekers can go for something like the Colorfly CK4 or iBasso D-Zero. 

these are supposed to be good rocoo p!

Jun 16, 2012 at 8:30 PM Post #329 of 710
Here in Canada you can get the previous generation iPhone for free with a three year contract and the current generation iPhone for 99 dollars with 3 year contract. The carriers heavily subsidize the phone if you go for a full 3 year contract and subsidizing of the phone is less if you go for a shorter contract such as 2 or 1 year.

Jun 16, 2012 at 8:32 PM Post #330 of 710
Quote:
It's all good.  Fyi, I really like how V-Moda operates as a company and am very much looking forward to their M-100.  Also, the Iphone is as little as $49 in the US with a cell phone contract.

An iPhone 4S in the USA sans contract is:

http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/shop_iphone/family/iphone/iphone4s

$649 - 16gb
$749 - 32gb
$849 - 64gb

VAMP is:

$599 Amazon 
$650 V-MODA.com and $50 is donated to help prevent hearing loss for kids

V-MODA.com/VAMP

We calculated we will most likely lose $ on VAMP, but we are building this product for many reasons for the long term. Milano wasn't built in one season (that's a play on Rome).  However, they are already selling briskly.  #16 now on Amazon.com of all amps.

Also, I'll admit, it is a status cymbal as well.  You'll definitely get asked about it EVERYWHERE, just a few minutes ago I ran into a HTC product manager in Seattle and he was asking about it... lol

-v 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back