V-MODA M-100: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, etc.
Jul 23, 2012 at 11:34 AM Post #3,586 of 23,366
Quote:
 He did say that he would post something at the end of now last week. But, he didn't. Soooooo...

Quote:

Let the nagging begin... Seriously, can you guys stop being so demanding?  It is extremely annoying to go through posts of people whining and whining for more Val, more pics, more info, oh Val but you said, oh Val please!  He's pretty much told you everything.  We know what it looks like, we know what accessories it'll come with, we know the sound sig, we even know what the damn box looks like 

Now here's an attempt to put some life back in this thread:

I'll be buying a white M-100, with gold shields.  I doubt the stock headphone comes in that color scheme, so I'll probably have to order custom shields.  I'd like my design to be as clean as possible so I won't be getting any custom artwork or anything.  Maybe I'll put the v-moda logo on it.  I'm planning on plugging these sex cannons into my Motorola Droid Razr Maxx (for portable use) or into my yet unknown amp/dac (debating between the ~$100 models, but may be willing to go as high as the Audinst).

The first song I'll probably play is Drops of Jupiter by Train.  There's just so many instruments in that song, and I've listened to it countless times, so I know this song well.  I'll also be playing lots of Better than Ezra, Five for Fighting, and OneRepublic.  I'll move on to piano/classical/orchestral music.  My favorite artist is Yiruma, but I also like the soundtrack to To The Moon (game) and Master & Commander (film).  Finally, I'll be playing some EDM, and electronic music through these babies, which is what they were meant for.  I already know my first song (in this genre): Cascade by Tommy Trash.  I'll also be playing some Hardwell, Nicky Romero, Project 46, and of course, Avicii (no Levels though, I have it, it's a good song, but its way too overplayed).  I'm definitely looking forward to use these as my DJ headphones.

This will be my first step into full-size headphones, and I'm excited (I've always been an IEM guy).  Other headphones I've been looking at include: Philips Fidelio L1 and the AKG K550, both of which are also $300.  They are also sex cannons, but they feel a little too old for my tastes.  This is the final year of my teens, and I'm looking for something more exciting.  Don't get me wrong, the Philips and the AKG still look amazing.

In all, I'd like to thank Val for piquing my interest in full-size headphones.  If it wasn't for the M100's, I'd never look into full-size headphones.  I've also never spent more than $150 on earphones, let alone headphones.

Jul 23, 2012 at 12:41 PM Post #3,587 of 23,366
Quote:

Let the nagging begin... Seriously, can you guys stop being so demanding?  It is extremely annoying to go through posts of people whining and whining for more Val, more pics, more info, oh Val but you said, oh Val please!  He's pretty much told you everything.  We know what it looks like, we know what accessories it'll come with, we know the sound sig, we even know what the damn box looks like 

I'll be buying a white M-100, with gold shields.  I doubt the stock headphone comes in that color scheme, so I'll probably have to order custom shields.  I'd like my design to be as clean as possible so I won't be getting any custom artwork or anything.  Maybe I'll put the v-moda logo on it.  I'm planning on plugging these sex cannons into my Motorola Droid Razr Maxx (for portable use) or into my yet unknown amp/dac (debating between the ~$100 models, but may be willing to go as high as the Audinst).

The first song I'll probably play is Drops of Jupiter by Train.  There's just so many instruments in that song, and I've listened to it countless times, so I know this song well.  I'll also be playing lots of Better than Ezra, Five for Fighting, and OneRepublic.  I'll move on to piano/classical/orchestral music.  My favorite artist is Yiruma, but I also like the soundtrack to To The Moon (game) and Master & Commander (film).  Finally, I'll be playing some EDM, and electronic music through these babies, which is what they were meant for.  I already know my first song (in this genre): Cascade by Tommy Trash.  I'll also be playing some Hardwell, Nicky Romero, Project 46, and of course, Avicii (no Levels though, I have it, it's a good song, but its way too overplayed).  I'm definitely looking forward to use these as my DJ headphones.

This will be my first step into full-size headphones, and I'm excited (I've always been an IEM guy).  Other headphones I've been looking at include: Philips Fidelio L1 and the AKG K550, both of which are also $300.  They are also sex cannons, but they feel a little too old for my tastes.  This is the final year of my teens, and I'm looking for something more exciting.  Don't get me wrong, the Philips and the AKG still look amazing.

In all, I'd like to thank Val for piquing my interest in full-size headphones.  If it wasn't for the M100's, I'd never look into full-size headphones.  I've also never spent more than $150 on earphones, let alone headphones.

Great post.  In fact, best content I have seen in days.  You are wise beyond your years.

Jul 23, 2012 at 6:29 PM Post #3,588 of 23,366
Quote:

Thanks for the post!

For me, I'll be getting the white model with custom matte black shields - using my logo that I've made for 'em. It seems that the white color has a more brushed finish for the cups, rather than a glossy finish - so I prefer that too. Thing is - my iPod Touch 4G is dying, so I need to decide what to upgrade to before Fall. By dying, I mean the screen is cracked in three places, the battery dies in 8 hours, and it's all scracthed and banged up. If anyone has any suggestions on a good PMP with a browser/touchsrceen - I prefer an all-in-one device - let me know! I would prefer 64GB, but 32GB is okay too - PM me if you have any suggestions!

First song for me will most likely be "Bios", or "Krone" composed by Hiroyuki Sawano. Former is a half-rock, half-orchestra piece, sung in faux German, while the latter is a building orchestral piano/violin piece. Not songs for everyone, but they're two of my favorites. I also listen to a lot of Jazz, Rock, Pop, Techno, Dance, J-Pop, and more.. I plan on including it all in my review, with some track downloads so that others can compare my review to what they already have. I also listen to plenty of Vocaloid, if anyone here want to know how the M-100's sound with that. 

I really hope these blow other competing headphones out of the water - judging from the "Hooolllyyy shiiitt.." moment one Head-Fi'er had on video, it seems like it just might. Thing is, that happened with the vamp equipped, so I am wondering if I should buy an E11 for these. would anyone else recommend that? Any other portable amps that may sound good with the M-100's?

The most I've spent on full-size headphones has been $220 after shipping on my TMA-1's... I liked 'em, but they got tiring to wear, and needed EQ'ing. Here's hoping these surpass both my M50's, and my TMA-1's - seeing as this will be my first $300+ headphone. Other headphones I have my eyes on include the PSB M4U 2 and the Denon DH400's... but I'm unsure about how the three compare, so I'm waiting on trying out the M-100's before making any decisions.

PS: Also final year of my teens - I feel old(er) for saying that, haha. 

Jul 23, 2012 at 8:12 PM Post #3,589 of 23,366
Quote:

Well, I'm saying that a person representing a company should at least post a "oops, mis-planned" if he can't say anything due to complications. Just for professionalism's sake. But of course he may be busy and afk and whatnot. Plus, none of us really matter anyway amirite? 
wink.gif

With all these last-year-of-teens-ers posting I should give out a few plans for myself, shouldn't I? Seeing as I'm part of the demographic and all.

The first thing on the agenda would be comparing these to the Sennheiser HD598s that I had for a year to see which one I like better. I would do a comparison with base sound and EQing the Senns with my Fiio E17 to match more with the m-100s for a more sound quality based comparison. I'll post up impressions for both.

I really hope there are brushed metal shield options because that one picture with them just hooked me.  I'll probably go for black or red with Shadow if there isn't any. I'll have good exp with my current setup (namely the new e17) so I'll know what to ask for. Still in need of a new DAP though. My 8GB 2Gen iPod touch isn't cutting it anymore.

I haven't been listening to a consistent repertoire of songs so the songs that I would have known by heart are now not so familiar (I have to go through those 6000+ songs somehow... doesn't help that it increases suddenly every few months). I'll work on that. To test bass and a little sub-bass, I would go for "Fallin Snow" from GWAVE's The Personalizer. Everything else, I would have to go through FELT's discography, namely Stand Up and Blue Drop, since there is Alternative Rock, Classic House, Orchestral, and among other random genres that I don't even know how to categorize. Good thing I have the HDTracks' 5 demo songs to work off of too. Although, since I like electric guitar splashed into just about everything, I need to listen to my Metal albums and Kajiura Yuki's works (since some of her greatest works all have electric guitar in it, some way or another). I'm feeling CROW'SCLAW's "NECRO PHANTASIA", BLANKFIELD's "Darkness Falls", and Kajiura's "Venari Strigas". Female vocal is very important, but that is tested in pretty much every condition previously listed so no need to go into detail there.

I'm assuredly going to keep the m-100s (especially for those shields I'm getting) and I rather not have more than 1 headphone, so if any of you know anybody who is willing to buy my Senns for 180 USD + Shipping, please let me know! I'll make a FS when I'm done reviewing. Thanks in advance.

Jul 23, 2012 at 8:17 PM Post #3,591 of 23,366
Quote:
I really hope these blow other competing headphones out of the water - judging from the "Hooolllyyy shiiitt.." moment one Head-Fi'er had on video, it seems like it just might. Thing is, that happened with the vamp equipped, so I am wondering if I should buy an E11 for these. would anyone else recommend that? Any other portable amps that may sound good with the M-100's?  
The most I've spent on full-size headphones has been $220 after shipping on my TMA-1's... I liked 'em, but they got tiring to wear, and needed EQ'ing. Here's hoping these surpass both my M50's, and my TMA-1's - seeing as this will be my first $300+ headphone. Other headphones I have my eyes on include the PSB M4U 2 and the Denon DH400's... but I'm unsure about how the three compare, so I'm waiting on trying out the M-100's before making any decisions.

The E11 made a HUGE difference with my old M-Audio Q40, so I'm thinking it would have a similar benefit for the M-100.

Jul 23, 2012 at 8:36 PM Post #3,592 of 23,366
I usually use the Leckerton UHA-4 when on the go and the ALO RX MKII when at home. Both in my opinion are great amps. The UHA-4 even has the added bonus of having it's own DAC which is good for people who have netbooks with cruddy sounding sound cards. The RX MKII is a very nice sounding amp that makes all my headphones/IEM's sound smoother and hit harder in the bass. I usually use it as a bedroom rig but it is still quite portable.

Jul 24, 2012 at 2:42 AM Post #3,594 of 23,366
Quote:
Thanks for the post!

For me, I'll be getting the white model with custom matte black shields - using my logo that I've made for 'em. It seems that the white color has a more brushed finish for the cups, rather than a glossy finish - so I prefer that too. Thing is - my iPod Touch 4G is dying, so I need to decide what to upgrade to before Fall. By dying, I mean the screen is cracked in three places, the battery dies in 8 hours, and it's all scracthed and banged up. If anyone has any suggestions on a good PMP with a browser/touchsrceen - I prefer an all-in-one device - let me know! I would prefer 64GB, but 32GB is okay too - PM me if you have any suggestions!

First song for me will most likely be "Bios", or "Krone" composed by Hiroyuki Sawano. Former is a half-rock, half-orchestra piece, sung in faux German, while the latter is a building orchestral piano/violin piece. Not songs for everyone, but they're two of my favorites. I also listen to a lot of Jazz, Rock, Pop, Techno, Dance, J-Pop, and more.. I plan on including it all in my review, with some track downloads so that others can compare my review to what they already have. I also listen to plenty of Vocaloid, if anyone here want to know how the M-100's sound with that. 

Guilty Crown? 

ahem* But onto amping, What do you think would be the lowest cost/portable amp that would be able to power the M100s sufficiently well? I've never tried a portable amp before and although I do have a computer amp, it's more on the recording side than the headphone side quality wise. Would there be a significant difference between an amped and unamped ipod touch as would an amp paired up with a desktop? 

Being a little less experienced with portable amps, I always think that they would be uncomfortable with an extra added lump in my pocket. Tying this back to the M100s, I guess I'm looking for something inexpensive yet still able to power the M100s decently. 

*just some speculations as we don't really have the M100s released yet....

Jul 24, 2012 at 3:26 AM Post #3,595 of 23,366
'Sup Bleeders?  Of all things to get me in hot water, plate tectonics? Yah okay. Speaking of guilt, I feel dirty and worthless if my eyes even stray to the competitor's headphones. I think I am being watched. And since when did Compaq start putting jelly dongs on their speakers?

Jul 24, 2012 at 4:03 AM Post #3,596 of 23,366
Quote:
Guilty Crown? 

ahem* But onto amping, What do you think would be the lowest cost/portable amp that would be able to power the M100s sufficiently well? I've never tried a portable amp before and although I do have a computer amp, it's more on the recording side than the headphone side quality wise. Would there be a significant difference between an amped and unamped ipod touch as would an amp paired up with a desktop? 

Being a little less experienced with portable amps, I always think that they would be uncomfortable with an extra added lump in my pocket. Tying this back to the M100s, I guess I'm looking for something inexpensive yet still able to power the M100s decently. 

*just some speculations as we don't really have the M100s released yet....

The Fiio stuff is known around here as good bargain for the buck. Personally, I can't vouch for the sound quality out of them because I've never heard one. I personally like Lecckerton Audio's offerings and plan on getting their flagship amp, the UHA-6S, in the near future. ALO Audio is known for great sounding amps as well as a iPod mobile DAC called the CLAS (Cypher Labs AlgoRhythm Solo) but all their gear can be quite pricey. Headstage Arrow 4G is also pricey but it's quite small and wonderfully mobile and most people who have bought it seem to really enjoy it.  iBasso is known for putting out some good stuff you might want to look into as well as JDSLabs. Both have some nice prices that won't break the bank account. CMoy's are a good series of amp, which JDSLabs also makes, and various different builds can be had for cheap on eBay or on head-fi's for sale forums. if you really want to personalize your sound you could even start asking around the DIY forum on here and maybe track down a good CMoy builder.

As for your question in amping verses an ipod touch, an iPod is a decent player but it has it's limitations. Certain gear needs more juice or it won't sound that great and even when the iPod has enough juice the DAC and amp in an iPod isn't that great. I'm more of an IEM geek then a headphone geek and the differences I notice with my RX MKII and UHA-4 is stuff like cleaner bass wider soundstage increased clarity and smoother vocals. It comes down to the gear your using and the opamps the amp is utilizing. for instance the RX MKII has a more smoother sound to it and the bass hits far harder then the UHA-4. On the other hand on the UHA-4 I notice with some of my IEM's such as the Sony MDR EX-600 and the j-Phonic K2-sp treble is a little better extended and a little edgier/livlely then on the RX MKII. Considering Val himself has said the M-100 will scale up nicely when amped it might be a good idea to get a decent little amp and see for yourself if it's worth it.

Quote:
'Sup Bleeders?  Of all things to get me in hot water, plate tectonics? Yah okay. Speaking of guilt, I feel dirty and worthless if my eyes even stray to the competitor's headphones. I think I am being watched. And since when did Compaq start putting jelly dongs on their speakers?

What the heck are you talking about???

Jul 24, 2012 at 5:07 AM Post #3,597 of 23,366
Quote:

The jester has returned, all prepare for a royal display of tomfoolary. 
biggrin.gif

Jul 24, 2012 at 5:32 AM Post #3,598 of 23,366
I have been waiting for a while.  I did pick up the LP2 not so long ago, but the deal was too good to pass up.  I have been waiting to either get the Ultrasone Pro900 or the M100.  So I am keeping my duckets set aside until the M100 gets released.  =)

Quote:
I've found myself oddly content of late with my stock Compaq speakers. I think I'm done for now with the audio game. Who else?

Jul 24, 2012 at 6:06 AM Post #3,599 of 23,366
Quote:

How many times did I tell you to take the blue pills, not the green! The blue!

Jul 24, 2012 at 6:40 AM Post #3,600 of 23,366
This is kind of random but would you guys think these would work well with video games(shooters)? Obviously I'm going to use them for music also but I really don't want to buy two headsets for two completely different reasons. I would connect the m100s to the HPJ on my television and I will use its microphone to communicate.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back