V-MODA M-100: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, etc.
Mar 25, 2014 at 4:42 PM Post #19,636 of 23,366

Does the aviator cable have a mic in it? I'm telling you, the difference is enormous. Like, not some little subtle thing that you have to listen for. I'm talking "oh god get these off of my head it hurts" different.

Yeah. The Aviator's cable is a Mic3 cable, although it doesn't work for phone calls on either the iPhone 5 or Galaxy Note. The buttons do, though.

Edit: N00b mistake. The BoomPro has its own inline volume control and it was turned down a little. No perceptible volume differences on SpeakEasy, SharePlay, Aviator or BoomPro.

Mar 25, 2014 at 4:54 PM Post #19,637 of 23,366
  Yeah. The Aviator's cable is a Mic3 cable, although it doesn't work for phone calls on either the iPhone 5 or Galaxy Note. The buttons do, though.

Edit: N00b mistake. The BoomPro has its own inline volume control and it was turned down a little. No perceptible volume differences on SpeakEasy, SharePlay, Aviator or BoomPro.

Can't say for sure, but if I had to spitball, I'd say the fact that those four cables are all involving separate elements than just straight audio from A to B they're part of what's going on. Either that or the VMODA audio-only is just magic. 

Mar 25, 2014 at 5:12 PM Post #19,638 of 23,366

Can't say for sure, but if I had to spitball, I'd say the fact that those four cables are all involving separate elements than just straight audio from A to B they're part of what's going on. Either that or the VMODA audio-only is just magic. 

The impedance levels should make a slight audible difference between cables from what I've read...

Mar 25, 2014 at 5:23 PM Post #19,639 of 23,366
I find its easy to turn it up (volume) on the m100s because of the recessed mids. I have never turned up anything as loud as i do with the m100s 50% on my iphone 4, volume 10 on my fiio e6.

I didnt notice it until i started listening to it again, after class (volume preset already) it was LOUD! But it doesnt get harsh, the treble stays sparkly and i can hear the scoop in the upper mid range lower treble to avoid the siblance.

So far the m100s i find are super fun, but still i find the bass too much, the mids taken too far back its clear but just vocals seem a bit coloured (minor complaint). The treble i would like actually bit more emphasis on the upper midrange lower treble area.

Im probably gonna return these matte black versions before the 30 day refund is up. But so far its been a fun ride

Mar 25, 2014 at 5:55 PM Post #19,640 of 23,366
I find its easy to turn it up (volume) on the m100s because of the recessed mids. I have never turned up anything as loud as i do with the m100s 50% on my iphone 4, volume 10 on my fiio e6.

I didnt notice it until i started listening to it again, after class (volume preset already) it was LOUD! But it doesnt get harsh, the treble stays sparkly and i can hear the scoop in the upper mid range lower treble to avoid the siblance.

So far the m100s i find are super fun, but still i find the bass too much, the mids taken too far back its clear but just vocals seem a bit coloured (minor complaint). The treble i would like actually bit more emphasis on the upper midrange lower treble area.

Im probably gonna return these matte black versions before the 30 day refund is up. But so far its been a fun ride

I think someone should invent something that can, like, change the sound dude. They could call it a SL or a GC. No, wait I got it. They could call it an E....Q! EQ, yeah.

Ta...da!

Mar 25, 2014 at 6:17 PM Post #19,641 of 23,366
I think someone should invent something that can, like, change the sound dude. They could call it a SL or a GC. No, wait I got it. They could call it an E....Q! EQ, yeah.

Ta...da!

LOL, come on, you know as well as any of us that some things can't really be EQ'd away in headphones. You can't EQ M100s into Grado Rs1's and vice versa. 

I readily admit that if you're someone who loves big velvety mids that the M100s are gonna leave you really disappointed, and I don't think any amount of EQ twiddling is going to remedy taht. 

Mar 25, 2014 at 6:36 PM Post #19,643 of 23,366

I'll go on a limb and recommend you at least look into the Mad Dogs .... 

No they're not as good looking as the M100's (not in the same stratosphere) but .... the sound is probably more of what you're looking for in an HP. Closed, great isolation, super comfortable, silky smooth vocals and mids .... Good bass but they dont have nearly the emphasis the M100's do. 2 main caveats are that they are best when amp'd (FiiO E12 does a good job) and like I said, they're not 'cute'. 

Mar 25, 2014 at 9:15 PM Post #19,647 of 23,366
The XS is out on headfi's youtube channel.

It does seem like an M80 with a facelift. Improvements on the fit and some tweaks to the driver but nothing significant. So anyone who was unsure about the M100 and waiting for the XS can just go with the M100. 

Mar 25, 2014 at 9:44 PM Post #19,650 of 23,366

Ta...da!

yea i don't think eq can make the mids sound more natural, it is what it is 

less recessed maybe 

please don't take this the wrong way but i never really intended on keeping the m100s tbh (like i said i don't like the matte black). i was going to test them alongside the xs when i get it but i got impatient. and see which one to keep (probably the xs anyway) but after watching head-fis new video on the xs i know i'm getting the xs for sure now. 

i just wanted to see what the hype is all about and its definitely warrants the hype it gets! thats for sure just not my cup of tea

the comments i made about was not with intention to bash the headphones or anything just just my honest opinion of the the sound signature compared to my "ideal sound signature" it it miss the mark in that sense.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back