V-MODA M-100: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, etc.
Mar 12, 2013 at 2:04 AM Post #12,796 of 23,366
SOoooo, its been a week now! i thought i'll put my input into these headphones now.

First impression, I was like stunned! These are my first pair of real headphones, well i want to call real headphones, or at least in this era. After reading so many feed backs on here, and reviews i feel like i got what i paid for. When i first put them on they felt like soft clouds on my ear and then of course after a while i can see what people are talking about. But to be honest, its not much of discomfort to me, But that's just my opinion because i havent really had a headphone that are more comfortable to compair with. But the sound is amazing!

With that said, maybe i'm one of the lucky ones that have the right size ears that fit like Cinderella and her glass shoe (no homo). I wear these over few hours at a time. I fall asleep wearing them while taking the subway home after a long days of work. I re-adjust it every so often, but i think that's normal right? we have to re adjust our butts after sitting on it for a bit. I've actually slept with them on too(serious talk). that was not too comfortable hence i cannot turn my head. But one thing i dont really like, and its just my preference is that, it doesn't rest well on my neck, even if i pull it to the furthest adjustment. But thats why its suppose to fold and away and be compacted right? so now i just rest my cans on my temple of my head.

Sound wise! i mainly listen to EDM so these headphones are great!, listening to podcast u dont get much EQ so its not as awesome!, so i recommend downloading them and listening it on ur music player. I did get a Fiio E7, I found that it doesn't do much for me from my iphone, but i dont have the L3/L9 cable maybe that's what it needs to make a difference!, but adding the bass boost is awesome still! But on the other hand goin from usb from my laptop, its has huge improvements! I tried using Songza, which has a V-moda preset there, it makes it more boomy and i tried the accudio app but im not much of a audiophile to know whats going on with the settings. I am a total noob @ this, but its just my opinion at the end and what i like. And i like what i got!

Trying these headphones on my mixer! They are superb! I can jack up the bass and blow out my crappy speakers before i hear any distortion. I just have a feeling these headphones are built to last. and I'm loving EVERY minute of it! I can't wait till i have time and i can actually do some spinning in my basement!

For the easy speak cable, i find it picks up a lot of bg noise, but its still better than lots of different mics. I do wanna try the boom mic, but just gonna wait till the larger ear pads are out so i do it all in one shipment since i am in canada and its not free shipping. And i cant wait to get the coilpro (dj cable) to come out as well!

Thank you V-MODA team for this awesome gift that is resting on my head as we speak. And i'll try to stay active on this forum and give my noobie input!

Mar 12, 2013 at 2:35 AM Post #12,797 of 23,366
Yeah these are solid headphones, love them all around. Great job V-MODA

Mar 12, 2013 at 3:30 AM Post #12,798 of 23,366
Quote:

The whole pad delay is a bit confusing... I don't understand why they would take until the end of the year to be released.

it's all about the sound and remember THE FIT IS THE SOUND.  If you look at how many editor's choice awards and praise we have won (Sound Vision, CNET, Pop Sci, Engadget, Gizmodo to name a few), we made the right choice for the greatest amount of people and most put in their reviews how comfortable they are.  Plus you can adjust the headband by bending it outwards if it is too tight out of the box.  

The larger pads SOUNDED BAD to me and our small test group.  Very bloated and not enough seperation.  The Crossfade LP was the highest ranked consumer headphone by customer satisfaction in the world, so we slightly modded that size and tested dozens of variations in fact using various sizes to balance comfort/sound/fit.  The size now DOES fit the majority of users comfortably and achieves our goal of greatest sound for greatest amount of people.

For the XL, it won't be delayed much longer, the first of the NEWER prototypes are done in two days.  After we test and green-light it, it takes about 6 weeks to build.  But if this size isn't right, we'll try again and it'll be about another 2 weeks.

Remember the headband can be used alternatively for less pressure as it wears in or you can slightly bend it outwards like adjusting the bridge on glasses. 

-V

Mar 12, 2013 at 3:34 AM Post #12,799 of 23,366
Quote:
SOoooo, its been a week now! i thought i'll put my input into these headphones now.

First impression, I was like stunned! These are my first pair of real headphones, well i want to call real headphones, or at least in this era. After reading so many feed backs on here, and reviews i feel like i got what i paid for. When i first put them on they felt like soft clouds on my ear and then of course after a while i can see what people are talking about. But to be honest, its not much of discomfort to me, But that's just my opinion because i havent really had a headphone that are more comfortable to compair with. But the sound is amazing!

With that said, maybe i'm one of the lucky ones that have the right size ears that fit like Cinderella and her glass shoe (no homo). I wear these over few hours at a time. I fall asleep wearing them while taking the subway home after a long days of work. I re-adjust it every so often, but i think that's normal right? we have to re adjust our butts after sitting on it for a bit. I've actually slept with them on too(serious talk). that was not too comfortable hence i cannot turn my head. But one thing i dont really like, and its just my preference is that, it doesn't rest well on my neck, even if i pull it to the furthest adjustment. But thats why its suppose to fold and away and be compacted right? so now i just rest my cans on my temple of my head.

For the easy speak cable, i find it picks up a lot of bg noise, but its still better than lots of different mics. I do wanna try the boom mic, but just gonna wait till the larger ear pads are out so i do it all in one shipment since i am in canada and its not free shipping. And i cant wait to get the coilpro (dj cable) to come out as well!

Thank you V-MODA team for this awesome gift that is resting on my head as we speak. And i'll try to stay active on this forum and give my noobie input!

Thanks and enjoy! It'll make mixing that much more fun.   I'll keep you updated on coil and boom, we had a few for sale on the site from our first limited production but they may be out now.

Coiled pro is almost there finally, I'll keep you updated after Vamp Verza and Metallo that launches WEDNESDAY.  It is a VERY complex project and has multiple patents, so afterwards I'll launch the Boom, Coiled and XL officially.

-V

Mar 12, 2013 at 3:39 AM Post #12,800 of 23,366
Quote:
Did you try flexing the headband to stretch them somewhat? The M-100 does take some time to break in. Somehow I feel that you may have sent them back a little too prematurely. But that's just my 2 yen worth.

+2, remember the headband, your head shape and cushions work in tandem to create the final pressure. Its like new shoes, gotta wear them a bit to break em in a bit for the PERFECT fit for some people!

Mar 12, 2013 at 4:05 AM Post #12,801 of 23,366
Quote:
It wasn't premature. I had the same experience, but slightly less intense (irritation after 30min & slight pain after 1hr, unwearable after 2-3hrs) and Kayan said that he had severe pain at 20mins.

I held onto my pair for the whole 60 days to have them stretch out and did the paper towel mod, but at the end of the day if you have severe pain or irritation after 20-30 minutes, I highly doubt it will improve significantly w/ time. It may get better to the point that you can wear them for 2hrs before severe discomfort, but with such a competitive $300 portable headphone niche, there is no reason to settle for something that is uncomfortable.

My suggestion for future V-Moda headphones is to 1) add swivel to the earcups (because it makes a HUGE difference for individual comfort) and 2) increase the entire earcup depth to 20mm minimum (or at least slanted drivers so the back part is >20mm). Less than 20mm deep earpads without compression will definitely cause discomfort for the majority of users. Whether that discomfort is minor irritation after a few hours or severe pain after 30 minutes depends on the ear protrusion & sensitivity of the user. Why take that risk when a greater than 20mm earcup depth is standard on portable, closed headphones in this price range? For sound quality concerns, just think AKG K550 has giant earcups but they are able to prevent the bass from being bloated or boomy.

My problem, while similar, wasn't that the cups weren't deep enough, they were for me. The cups just weren't big enough around, I tried adjusting the headband longer, shorter, twisting a little bit, etc, and just had no luck.

+1 to the swivel function on the pads. I think that this may have solved my problem, as I've tried other cans such as the Senn PC350, and even with their HUGE cups, I still needed to swivel it toward the front a little bit.

Quote:

+2, remember the headband, your head shape and cushions work in tandem to create the final pressure. Its like new shoes, gotta wear them a bit to break em in a bit for the PERFECT fit for some people!

I really appreciate the fact that you are responding to questions and concerns on this forum. That says something about you, your company, and your customer service. As stated earlier, if I cannot find suitable cans by the time your XL pads release, then I will -- without hesitation -- reorder a pair. Just as is they were completely unwearable for me, which again is sad, since the sound was so amazing.

Mar 12, 2013 at 4:55 AM Post #12,802 of 23,366
Not related to the M-100, but kind of scary nonetheless. No fugazi, as V-MODA says.

Mar 12, 2013 at 4:57 AM Post #12,803 of 23,366
I know it's a question about fit etc in some cases but in case the pads are too shallow and people's ears are too protruding which some people have expressed here, wearing them in won't get rid of the issue, the only real way is making the pads thicker. Also some people's ears are too large to fit inside (at least mine didn't fully fit inside the LP2 pads due to the hexagonal shape, I have pretty good results with round ear pads in comparision to average case scenario for example I reckon as my ears aren't very pointy shaped, the narrow innercircumference didn't work well for me on the LP pads).

Mar 12, 2013 at 2:25 PM Post #12,804 of 23,366
Honestly after 2 months, my M-100 has grown to be very comfortable. I would definitely say you need at least 10-15 hours of wear to truly break in the headband and the cushions. Since mine were broken in I've head absolutely no problems.

Mar 12, 2013 at 2:45 PM Post #12,805 of 23,366
Quote:
Honestly after 2 months, my M-100 has grown to be very comfortable. I would definitely say you need at least 10-15 hours of wear to truly break in the headband and the cushions. Since mine were broken in I've head absolutely no problems.

glad to hear it, cause ive just ordered mine and im a little concerned about the comfort. i guess ill find out when they get here

Mar 12, 2013 at 4:58 PM Post #12,806 of 23,366
Don't worry, I was worried to about comfort and I have average sized ears. The headphone will become comfortable after a while of usage. But there might be a little touching of the drivers but after you adjust the size of the headband the comfort is amazing. This headphone really shapes to you. 

Mar 12, 2013 at 6:01 PM Post #12,807 of 23,366
I've been gauze mod free for a week or more by now and have no more comfort issues.

Mar 12, 2013 at 8:37 PM Post #12,809 of 23,366
Quote:

Think this photo's sold me on white when I get a pair of M100s, at least if white pads are offered.

Am I the only one turned off from white V-Modas because of the dark gray pads (and stripe on the band)? If the stripe was silver (like the V-Moda plate) and with white pads.. 
tongue_smile.gif

hahaha i totally feel you, but then i saw the white ones in real life. the grey actually is a really nice accent color that blends very well with everything and I'm afraid that white earpads mite slowly turn different colors (grey, brown, yellow ew!) w/ excessive use. i am speculating that when vmoda releases xl pads, they probably will have different color options or you can snipe an LP earpad now (ppl have done that mod already). i actually got soo many compliments & looks wearing the white M100s, I felt like I was activating an invisibility cloak when i took em off :p lol

Mar 12, 2013 at 9:42 PM Post #12,810 of 23,366
I think is a sacrilege
tongue.gif
to stuff the M-100 earpads with anything. I understand why some of you guys do it, but as of now comfort for me is above average so I'll just wait until the Dusty Gozongas pads are available.

I even hope to see some velour pads for the M-100 at some point. Yeah...dreams are free.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back