V-MODA M-100: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, etc.
Aug 23, 2012 at 11:47 AM Post #5,431 of 23,366
Just to make sure, if I decide to go with Matte Black, and say pick the Red color shields with a signature/design (whichever I end up going), in addition to my custom shields do I also get a normal pair of matte black shields? 

Aug 23, 2012 at 12:22 PM Post #5,432 of 23,366
Just to make sure, if I decide to go with Matte Black, and say pick the Red color shields with a signature/design (whichever I end up going), in addition to my custom shields do I also get a normal pair of matte black shields? 

This issue also puzzled me at first, but it turns out you allways get the regular shields, and on top of that the shields in the colour you selected when ordering (the standard shields come pre-installed).

Aug 23, 2012 at 1:32 PM Post #5,433 of 23,366
Quote:
Yes it is possible. Just put in your order, check "yes" for your design, but don't submit art. Later on, when you have a design, send it into them with their web-form - include the art and your order number in the message, and explain that the attachment is the art you want to use.

Oh, okay, thanks alot. :)

Aug 23, 2012 at 1:42 PM Post #5,435 of 23,366
Quote:

I see what you're saying now --- I am not sure that the boom mic comments aren't what he was looking for though.

I'm not going to presume what the CEO of a company will and will not find relevant when asking potential customers what they want.  He might well be looking for those kinds of comments, or might pay close attention even if he hadn't been looking.  Then again, he might not.  I can only try to answer the question I thought he asked.

My understanding was that he asked about the best mic we'd ever used, not necessarily the best type of mic.  The boom mic comments aren't irrelevant, but a person (especially a CEO at an audio company) who uses the phrase best mic you've ever used is generally asking about brands and models.  He asked a similar question about the sound of the HD-600 pages ago, but one difference was that he told us the name of the model. 

Personally, I've had marathon conversations about mic models.  I've seen engineer-producers walk into a studio with a day's down time and use it to test every mic they can find on every instrument available to determine which is the best for each aspect of the sound they want.  This extra Val's talking about is a device for consumers, but I took the question the same way I would if a producer had asked.  The only reason I haven't offered any suggestions is because I've merely tolerated every mobile consumer mic I've tried to use.  

However, later comments on the boom mic are becoming more specific, and the comments about a detachable mobile mic suggest to me that a substantial number of people might consider that option useful.  I probably wouldn't, but then again, I'm only one wan weeb.

Quote:

I hope Val doesn't take the lack of comments as a general lack of interest, because I don't think it is.  I haven't posted what I want in a microphone because I have yet to experience one that I could say -- This is the best headset microphone made. 

Again, I wouldn't presume to know what feedback (or lack of it) another person might find useful or how they would interpret it.

Aug 23, 2012 at 1:44 PM Post #5,436 of 23,366
For mics, what about broadcaster grade stuff like sennheiser hmd 25 or 26's? Looked like everyone on tv (especially sports broadcasters) uses it. The mic is a dynamic mic (super-cardioid pattern). Is that even worth exploring? Good mic paired with the popular hd-25's.

Aug 23, 2012 at 4:04 PM Post #5,438 of 23,366
Quote:
in addition to my custom shields do I also get a normal pair of matte black shields? 

YES.

I miss the sound of a 300 baud modem carrier signal... almost as much as I miss the similar but different sound of a 1200 and 14.4...

and I also miss BBS and pyroto mountain... a bit... just because of the absurdity that came from those forums...

don't miss busy signals. it was the frontier of forums and absurd flamewars.
Quote:

I hope Val doesn't take the lack of comments as a general lack of interest, because I don't think it is.  I haven't posted what I want in a microphone because I have yet to experience one that I could say -- This is the best headset microphone made. 

It is hard to test mics in regular usage daily because we don't hear the other side!  "Can you hear me now?"

Aug 23, 2012 at 4:16 PM Post #5,439 of 23,366
Quote:
@Roma
Whoa, I know this is OT but you're selling both the ES10 and the DT1350? I'm shocked the DT1350 got tossed on the for sale block so soon if I remember right you seemed to really like them. I for see hoarding of funds for a flagship headphone lol.

lol It's more about bandaging my wounded wallet. But let me tell you, I am seriously on the fence about selling the DT1350. They sound great but I'm a stickler for a more natural sound (I'm a drummer and can't get enough good realistic decay of instruments). Every since I got my HJE900 IEM, I've been both blessed and cursed haha. The one I am keeping though is the M-80 (black and white for me and my better half). The decay is very natural and the overall sound is more engaging to my ears. Not to mention, the soundstage and imaging. This is what keeps me inching towards the M-100 more and more. The fact that the M-100 will have more extended highs is a big plus in my book.

Aug 23, 2012 at 4:39 PM Post #5,440 of 23,366
Quote:
It is hard to test mics in regular usage daily because we don't hear the other side!  "Can you hear me now?"

I don't know if you have the equipment, but record some phone calls to test the mics.  And/or use a built in Voice Recorder on a device that supports it. 

Aug 23, 2012 at 4:41 PM Post #5,441 of 23,366
Quote:
Val,

1. A microphone of any type, so long as it works well (i.e. has some sort of noise reduction filter) will be greatly appreciated. I would certainly use it on a regular basis. Unlike some of the others, I don't mind a boom mike. I would only use it indoors, but we will already be getting the standard mic'd cable for other uses.

2. I would also like so see you design and release a plug in bluetooth module (with a built-in mic). It would need to be designed to look nondescript when plugged in to the m-100 and of course it would need to have apt-x for better quality sound. Not sure if you're interested is such a device, but I would be your first customer. I'm not a fan of cables on the bus and the metro (unfortunately, I don't have a good wireless option at the moment so I make do).

v/r,
Adrian

+1 for the boom mic, it would be absolutely perfect to have a detachable bom mic that could easily be plugged/unplugged into the 2nd unused audio port and supported by that one anchor point.

Regarding the Bluetooth idea, I actually picked up a cheap Belkin Bluetooth Receiver (about 1/4 the size of an iPhone), disassembled it, and stuck the board inside the left cup of my Crossfade LPs. After soldering everything up (which was very easy, since everything was already soldered and labeled on the connection board inside of the LPs) the result was great. 100% wireless music with no noticeable loss in quality with 320kbps MP3s. The problem was powering it; the receiver uses ~200mah of power, plus driving the headphones, so you need some decent rechargeable cells. My cheap single cell liPos ran out within 15 minutes, and they were pretty hard to cram into the limited space. I bought some larger capacity batteries, and am planning to swap the old ones out when the new ones get here to see if I can get a little more time between charges.

I don't think a setup like this would be too hard to implement in a V-MODA headphone, and shouldn't be too expensive either (the cost of the Bluetooth module plus the batteries was under $30). Not sure about a stand alone plug though, because it would have to contain a battery with enough power to drive the headphones.

Aug 23, 2012 at 4:44 PM Post #5,442 of 23,366
Quote:
The fact that the M-100 will have more extended highs is a big plus in my book.

Here also, as much as I enjoyed my M80s, this is really what made me wonder off and spend more money on other phones

Aug 23, 2012 at 4:53 PM Post #5,443 of 23,366
Quote:

Especially with home/gaming use, it seems that unless your unintelligible nobody says anything.

I am guilty of leaving myself voicemail and other things just to check microphones out, but none of them were ever "good" ones, just was making sure I sounded at least as good as through the phone.

Aug 23, 2012 at 5:05 PM Post #5,444 of 23,366

Something like this should do it the zalman zm mic1! p.s I have got the yeti one it's 24bit!

Aug 23, 2012 at 5:10 PM Post #5,445 of 23,366
You also have to remember, different models (of devices/phones/DACs/etc) will also have different types of interference.  For example, Westone claims the iPhone 4 and 4S both create an echo effect with their microphone while the other phones/models do not.  This is most likely due to the external antenna on the iPhone that causes some interference.  It's important not only to test the mic, but to also test the other devices that will be running them.  Oh the fragmentation of devices.  Good luck with that one, I'd hate to be the tester :frowning2:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back