V-MODA M-100: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, etc.
Jan 31, 2012 at 12:51 AM Post #31 of 23,366

Quote:

Yes, they'll drop before July, April is anticipated date.  Sorry to keep everybody waiting, the sound of these is very important and is a huge responsibility.  I'm assessing all feedback I've received over the last few months, interestingly a lot of the audiophiles liked it bass heavy w some of the M-100 protos as long as the highs were clear, present and extended further.  There is a meet in March for Head-Fi in LA, I'll let people try them out!

It really does amaze me how much V-Moda goes and actually gets their hands dirty by going this deep into the research and development process.  With that said, I'd rather the sound be tuned to the set standards rather than being released a month early.  However, if both are possible, I really can't complain
tongue.gif
  Bass-wise, Prefer it slightly heavier on the sub-bass (really deep < 30-50 Hz sub-bass) since our ears aren't as sensitive to it, but starting to balance off after that.  That's just me though. 

Jan 31, 2012 at 1:02 AM Post #32 of 23,366

Quote:
It really does amaze me how much V-Moda goes and actually gets their hands dirty by going this deep into the research and development process.  With that said, I'd rather the sound be tuned to the set standards rather than being released a month early.  However, if both are possible, I really can't complain
tongue.gif
  Bass-wise, Prefer it slightly heavier on the sub-bass (really deep < 30-50 Hz sub-bass) since our ears aren't as sensitive to it, but starting to balance off after that.  That's just me though. 

+1

Jan 31, 2012 at 4:08 AM Post #33 of 23,366
What if the M-100 had rubber ear-shaped cups for ideal ergonomics and acoustics? I prefer people not to know I'm wearing headphones. Even better, the headband could have hair on top.

Jan 31, 2012 at 9:04 AM Post #34 of 23,366
I question all the palaver about bass emphasis, as that was something you've already done with the LPs.  It seems fairly clear from the feedback you've gotten on the M80s vs. the LPs that undue emphasis is not something that the majority of head-fi members necessarily want no matter how many people request it on these threads.  Accurate but fully reproduced bass seems a more challenging goal, and more along the lines of what the popularity of the M-80 suggests.

Personally, I'd vote for scenario A:  improvement with an amp and quality at least similar to the M-80 unamped.  Full-sized headphones tend to require an amp to sound their best. Mostly we require that they not suck desiccated bacteria pizzles when connected to a smartphone.

So, to sum:  Perfect with an amp, quite good without.  Fully represented but accurate bass, not exaggerated pelvis-vibrating bass.  If I wanted that, I'd put a dollar into the coin slot of the electric mattress in my ultra-seedy hotel room.

Jan 31, 2012 at 9:17 AM Post #35 of 23,366

Quote:
I question all the palaver about bass emphasis, as that was something you've already done with the LPs.  It seems fairly clear from the feedback you've gotten on the M80s vs. the LPs that undue emphasis is not something that the majority of head-fi members necessarily want no matter how many people request it on these threads.  Accurate but fully reproduced bass seems a more challenging goal, and more along the lines of what the popularity of the M-80 suggests.

Personally, I'd vote for scenario A:  improvement with an amp and quality at least similar to the M-80 unamped.  Full-sized headphones tend to require an amp to sound their best. Mostly we require that they not suck desiccated bacteria pizzles when connected to a smartphone.

So, to sum:  Perfect with an amp, quite good without.  Fully represented but accurate bass, not exaggerated pelvis-vibrating bass.  If I wanted that, I'd put a dollar into the coin slot of the electric mattress in my ultra-seedy hotel room.

x2,just the 2 cents i was thinking of...

Jan 31, 2012 at 9:24 AM Post #36 of 23,366
Honestly I'd want to see revamped pad design (more narrow diameter of the pad) so I can fit ear fully inside compared to the LPs. Such an easy but great change, do it! :p There's absolutely no need for the diameter of the pad to be that wide like on the LPs. Better with more narrow pads so there's a bigger inner circumference and may even lead to slightly better soundstage with the more space around the ear! Win-win.

Jan 31, 2012 at 10:27 AM Post #37 of 23,366

Quote:

Was thinking exactly the same thing! It is also great that Val takes time reading this and take feedback from members.

Jan 31, 2012 at 1:46 PM Post #38 of 23,366

Boss and keen to see others voicing their interest in a flatter and more balanced sound.  My sense is that some of the people asking for more bass just want to make sure there will be enough, and many will be satisfied with a balanced sound as well. 

One other thing:

In my view, it's overstating the brand to have V-Moda appear in three places on one pair of headphones.  With a price tag of $300, you're entering an arena in which manufacturers often allude to their brand with a single understated logo in one place.  I say, screen the name on the top of the headband and don't set it off in a gaudy color on the sides.  But if you must have the company name above the shields again, then either use your current logo without the words below it or design one that takes the space of a single capital letter and doubles as a shape.  (The letters VM would give a designer lots of single-space symmetries with which to play.)

The look of the CrossFade LPs was all about business (as you Tuvan throat singers like to ululate multiphonically). I'd like to see a slight return to their industrial aesthetic, but with the black brushed-aluminum-textured shields of the M-80s, fewer red accents (if any) and more restrained branding.

Jan 31, 2012 at 1:50 PM Post #39 of 23,366
^ I think there's room for more models or better separated/adjusted headphone segments. 

Personally I'm a basshead but I didn't like V-Moda LP2 very much, the bass was even slightly too overhelming for me and the highs were missing (had to boost 8 - 16kHz by 3.5 ~ 5.5dB) and thought the mids weren't too well balanced either but I don't listen at loud volume levels either as this headphone was targeted at so therefore I can only blame myself for not taking that into higher concideration, while M80 probably just have tiny bit too little bass for my taste, if M100 would fit right in-between which has been suggested here that would make me a happy camper. M-Audio Q40 that I use now has the perfect amount of bass (but also quality) to me.

But at the same time I understand there's people who wants significantly less bass too and yea I see a room for a similar sized fullsized "neutral" sounding option here too that would also have lots of potential buyers because neutral/high quality sound with such a nice design is not a common sight.

Jan 31, 2012 at 2:00 PM Post #40 of 23,366
As much as I love all of the new V-Moda products (M80s and LP2s), I'd have to agree with the other guy/gal in this thread that said they would be disappointed if the M100 required an amp.  The great thing about the newer V-Moda's is that they sound great right out of your devices.  No need for amping and carrying extra equipment.  Sure, most headphones can't reach their ultimate potential without an amp, but sounding good straight out of the device is my requirement.  

I don't mind having an amp at home for listening sessions, but if I'm buying portable headphones, I want the whole setup to be portable.  The M80 is almost the perfect headphone for me.  The reason it's not is because of the earpads.  They just aren't PERFECT.  They are very good and they fit well, but I much prefer the comfort of the LP2s for long sessions and especially for gaming because of the better ear fit.  Sure, we're comparing two different types of headphones, but if I can get CLOSE to the M80 sound from a full sized LP2 comfort level headphone, I'll be in heaven.  But requiring an amp would be a bad idea and I probably wouldn't purchase a pair if that was a suggestion.  

Right now I go back and forth between the M80s and LP2s, so getting one combined headphone would be fantastic and I'm sure a lot on this board agree.

Jan 31, 2012 at 2:18 PM Post #41 of 23,366
My sentiments exactly. The bottom line is: do you want to market to the people without amps, or the people with amps?? Do you want to compete with Beats by Dre, Sony, and Koss, or Sennheiser, Beyerdynamic, Shure, Audio Technica, Ultrasone, AKG...Which market is bigger? Which is more prone to rapid shifts that would be necessary to give VMODA full-on popular appeal?

These are the questions I would ask myself as CEO.

Quote:
As much as I love all of the new V-Moda products (M80s and LP2s), I'd have to agree with the other guy/gal in this thread that said they would be disappointed if the M100 required an amp.  The great thing about the newer V-Moda's is that they sound great right out of your devices.  No need for amping and carrying extra equipment.  Sure, most headphones can't reach their ultimate potential without an amp, but sounding good straight out of the device is my requirement.  

I don't mind having an amp at home for listening sessions, but if I'm buying portable headphones, I want the whole setup to be portable.  The M80 is almost the perfect headphone for me.  The reason it's not is because of the earpads.  They just aren't PERFECT.  They are very good and they fit well, but I much prefer the comfort of the LP2s for long sessions and especially for gaming because of the better ear fit.  Sure, we're comparing two different types of headphones, but if I can get CLOSE to the M80 sound from a full sized LP2 comfort level headphone, I'll be in heaven.  But requiring an amp would be a bad idea and I probably wouldn't purchase a pair if that was a suggestion.  

Right now I go back and forth between the M80s and LP2s, so getting one combined headphone would be fantastic and I'm sure a lot on this board agree.

Jan 31, 2012 at 3:06 PM Post #43 of 23,366
Val,
I'd like retract my earlier statement about the M-100's being unamped.
I feel that the drivers should remain the way they are. How significant is the SQ between the M80 and M100, both unamped?

The M80's already have great SQ. They are limited as shown by the use of an amp which make too much of a difference.
If the M100 do not need an amp, the maximum potential would be limited. For $300, I believe the M100's should not be restricted by the driver and it'd be a great set up if you can show your full ability to make headphones to the best of your ability.

For $300, I would think that people considering headphones in this price range would 1. already have an amp 2. have no problem spending $20-30 more for a portable amp (e5, e6) to achieve maximum potential.

For $300, the only portable competition I really see is the Beats Studio and I'm pretty sure the current M100 prototype sounds much better unamped.

In terms of bass, I think your idea about the M100's bass being heavier than the M80's but less than the LP2 is spot on, as long as the bass remains clean and more mid-bass as opposed to sub-bass. For example, the Pro 900 is very bassy, some say the king of bass (mostly punchy mid-bass), but the bass is of excellent quality as well as the rest of the frequencies being of good SQ. And despite being very bassy, it doesn't drown out the other frequencies and I haven't seen anyone complain about it's bass.
I also think that the Beats Studios would be a direct competitor, so it should have some type of bass to compete.
I also think that since DJ's would be using these headphones, bass is important as you probably know from the feedback you have received from other DJ's.

When looking at the dilemma between amped and unamped, I think about Porsche. The 911 is more expensive than the 987 (Cayman and Boxster S) lineup. Even though the 987 is cheaper, it has superior engine placement (987=mid-engine, 911= rear-engine). The mid-engine design gives the 987 the best balance and handling. Because of the superior engine placement of the 987, Porsche has limited the hp output of the engine in fear that it'll outperform their legendary 911-model.
In short, many people have complained that Porsche has manufactured an astonishing car with an excellent platform that has the potential of being nothing short of perfection. It's only downfall is that it's limited by the horsepower.
@ 4:57
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ppl4DFcRCPA
"You get the impression that the Coxster could have have been made faster and better, but the engineers weren't allowed to, cuz then it would have been faster and better than the 911. So the Coxster then isn't quite as good as it could have been. I couldn't live with that. I like to think that car has been designed to be as good as it could be, not just to fill a gap in the market."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back