V-MODA M-100: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, etc.
Jul 25, 2012 at 9:23 PM Post #3,646 of 23,366
Why such a buzzkill and geyser of mis-information?  You don't seem to grasp the concept of pre-production.  Press pictures aren't part of V-Moda's marketing campaign. Besides, an issue may come up with the PPU's that needs to be tweaked.  Either way, you have to be a complete tool to expect a press photo of an unreleased product to be an exact replica of the actual final product.  I would assume the signature would be after press photos anyhow. The PPU's are limited in quality and I would appreciate a number to reflect it.

Jul 25, 2012 at 9:56 PM Post #3,647 of 23,366
I'm pretty sure Val said the PPUs are the same as the FPUs.

Jul 25, 2012 at 10:02 PM Post #3,648 of 23,366
Quote:
I'm pretty sure Val said the PPUs are the same as the FPUs.

Lots of PPUs have defects in them that testing doesn't show.  They can show up while press and media test them...  I've personally experienced this. These defects don't make it to the FPUs (or at least that's the plan). 

MEElectronics 1st batch of A161p is a good example of this...  It had a defect in the strain relief that caused it to separate. 

IDK which batch of the PFE232 I had, but I also had problems with the cable cutting out after a month...  Another person who got it around the same time I did got the same problem a week before I did.  I don't know if this turned out to be a defect, but those are the only two cases of that on the 232s. Please note that I don't think this was a defect, probably more like two isolated incidents. 

Philip's Downtowns had a problem with the cable connection becoming swapped on the earcups...  This caused a cut in sound. 

Moshi's Vortex Pro PPU models had a problem with the channels cutting out due to a disconnection (most likely caused by the heavy housing).

Etymotic EtyKids (3) had a small problem with the PPU that caused the headphone jack to bend and cut out audio...

I can honestly go on about this... I know for sure that all these problems have been fixed (maybe except the Philips one). Defects are more common with PPUs as they show manufacturing errors which are (hopefully) fixed by the time FPUs are made. 

Jul 25, 2012 at 10:36 PM Post #3,649 of 23,366
Quote:

Lots of PPUs have defects in them that testing doesn't show.  They can show up while press and media test them...  I've personally experienced this. These defects don't make it to the FPUs (or at least that's the plan). 

MEElectronics 1st batch of A161p is a good example of this...  It had a defect in the strain relief that caused it to separate. 

IDK which batch of the PFE232 I had, but I also had problems with the cable cutting out after a month...  Another person who got it around the same time I did got the same problem a week before I did.  I don't know if this turned out to be a defect, but those are the only two cases of that on the 232s. Please note that I don't think this was a defect, probably more like two isolated incidents. 

Philip's Downtowns had a problem with the cable connection becoming swapped on the earcups...  This caused a cut in sound. 

Moshi's Vortex Pro PPU models had a problem with the channels cutting out due to a disconnection (most likely caused by the heavy housing).

Etymotic EtyKids (3) had a small problem with the PPU that caused the headphone jack to bend and cut out audio...

I can honestly go on about this... I know for sure that all these problems have been fixed (maybe except the Philips one). Defects are more common with PPUs as they show manufacturing errors which are (hopefully) fixed by the time FPUs are made. 

... I'm starting to think that PPUs might not be a good idea then >.>'

Jul 25, 2012 at 10:41 PM Post #3,650 of 23,366
Quote:
... I'm starting to think that PPUs might not be a good idea then >.>'

I've had no problems concerning V-Moda products thus far.  I did get the M80 white the week it was released.  V-Moda does a lot more testing than many other companies. The statement I'm making is that there is more of a chance of defect.  It's a chance, you always have chance, but PPUs have a slightly raised chance.  There could also be a chance of lemons as well in the list above. 

IDK if V-Moda will honor warranty for the PPUs, if they do, I don't see a problem with it. If they don't (for buying customers), then I would wait off... Unless you want a collectors' item :p 

Jul 25, 2012 at 11:05 PM Post #3,652 of 23,366
Quote:
I don't see why they wouldn't honor warranty on their PPU since we are paying full price for it. Now if they were free on the other hand...cough.

Same here, I'm sure you'll get warranty.  I'd still make sure of this before you purchase...  It could end up like refurbished models that only get 30-90 days (vs 2 years) :p  I doubt they'll leave us up to hang like that though.  V-Moda seems like a very good company. 

Jul 26, 2012 at 1:34 AM Post #3,656 of 23,366
Ship/Launch Date
The date they'll ship is "when they are ready, and that my team would buy it, love it and rate it six stars".  That is the only test.  The day is very close now and the parts are looking great.  However, this is such an important project that I am going to go to the factory and will be on the assembly line myself with my #2.  Since the interest is so high in M-100 we are altering our normal PP then MP process and doing a staged approach of PP building/testing individual sections of the headphones first right now.  This allows us not to waste material too.

I will personally inspect and sign each one we sell through V-MODA.com of this batch, so therefore these may be our best units we ever make!  We'll sort through them and only sell the best if there are any issues.  And, of course we still have the 2 year warranty AND satisfaction guarantee test drive.

Name of these first units?
Help me me name these units?  There may only be 50 per color as of now, I'll know soon.  It is somewhere between 50-100 available through V-MODA.com for Head-Fi/V-MODA Facebook.

Mustang Story
I remember when I was in high school my friend and I had identical Mustang 5.0 LXs of the same year, yet his was faster than mine.  I hated that at first, but we understood that, like humans and everything in life, no too units will be IDENTICAL.  Therefore like cars or fine wine, V-MODA aims to have the strictest variances in the industry, best components, suppliers, QC team and ultimately we back it up with the best service too. I never forget this and the QC I've seen of various brands in our labs, as Steve Jobs said he can only sleep with great quality and design.  

Big in Japan!
THIS JUST IN - we are also launching them in Japan first in retail and hope to announce something special there soon... working on details now! 

Jul 26, 2012 at 1:40 AM Post #3,657 of 23,366
Only 50 of each color!? So these really will be limited... Hopefully we get some warning as to the date - and they don't just pop out of nowhere! Hahaha.But thing is - what colors are these? Still just the White and Shadow? Or will Matte be in there too?

About the names, I don't know why - but I still like the name Valkyrias/Valkyries that was mentioned before - keeps the V-MODA feel, and adds to the exclusivity.

Jul 26, 2012 at 2:35 AM Post #3,659 of 23,366
Quote:

Name of these first units?
Help me me name these units?  There may only be 50 per color as of now, I'll know soon.  It is somewhere between 50-100 available through V-MODA.com for Head-Fi/V-MODA Facebook.

Valkyrie or something sounding similar to it would be cool. Just the fact there's a V in the word works well to tie it into V-Moda.
Val considering your family is originally Italian and you use roman imagery on your site how about the word Gladiator or something that indirectly or directly pertains to the word so people think gladiator. They're the PPU's that survived the testing so in a way they're the best of the best and should be considered hardened warriors. I'm thinking try and tie the PPU to a hardened roman gladiator.
Quote:
It is settled then, I am selling everything I own for these.

You're really that poor??? Lol sorry man I couldn't resist.

Jul 26, 2012 at 2:49 AM Post #3,660 of 23,366
Val, don't worry if PP quantities get even more limited than what you think... It's better to have only the 6 stars rated ones, than the best of the bunch.

My question: (and you don't have to answer it now, it could be during your flight, if it gets answered)

- Have you tested the M-100 with DAPs and PMPs to find out which ones are the best for the M-100? Excluding the iPhone + VAMP setup, of course.

I'm sure everyone who is a newb to headphones at this price range, still want to know what will be the best/cheapest portable setup including and excluding everything (with AMP/DAC/WHATEVERACAMP; without it, etc), and as well for the desktop setup.

Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back