V-MODA M-100: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, etc.
Feb 12, 2012 at 10:49 AM Post #226 of 23,366
I hope the E6 is significantly better than the E5 in more ways than build/looks; my E5 was a piece of trash that made music sound grainy and less defined, and that was with a smartphone DAC and Shure SE215; using it with anything nicer than an iPod and CX300s or equivalent would be totally counterproductive. The E5 is NOT for earphones costing $100+; if the E6 is ANYTHING like the E5, it would be a shame and a waste to use it with the likes of the M100.

Feb 12, 2012 at 12:18 PM Post #227 of 23,366

Quote:
I hope the E6 is significantly better than the E5 in more ways than build/looks; my E5 was a piece of trash that made music sound grainy and less defined, and that was with a smartphone DAC and Shure SE215; using it with anything nicer than an iPod and CX300s or equivalent would be totally counterproductive. The E5 is NOT for earphones costing $100+; if the E6 is ANYTHING like the E5, it would be a shame and a waste to use it with the likes of the M100.

I'll have to disagree about the E5 amp.
I have the E5, E11, and ZO2. 

Pro 900 (hard to drive)- Of course it brought up the volume to the point where I can actually enjoy my music, but I haven't had much time to compare the sound unamped vs. E5 with bass boost off (always had it on). If I can remember, the highs were less sibilant. I definitely did not notice any sound degradation. I will have to re-evaluate later in the week.

HFI-580 (easy to drive)- I spent about 30 minutes going back and forth between the E5, E11, and unamped w/my Clip+, HO.
I listened to about 3-4 songs and w/the E5, bass boost off, there was no audible difference no matter how hard I listened. I went to the last song and was switching between the E5 and unamped.
At the middle of the song, there was an instrumental part of the song that brings out the highs. I thought I switched to unamped and thought "woah, I actually notice that at that part it sounds very slightly clearer and more detailed." I looked down it was actually my E5. This difference would go completely unnoticed with you didn't listen back to back.

My Atrio MG7 is coming in the mail soon, so I'll see how it performs with IEM's.

Now if you want to talk about bass, w/the ZO2 there's distortion and with the E5, there is no distortion. With an EQ, I prefer my E5 to my ZO2.
My quick review with a video.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/594082/digizoid-zo2-pro-900-distortion-vs-fiio-e5-e11-video
Some people notice an improvement with the E5 and some don't depending on their setup.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/439465/fiio-e5-impressions-quick-review

So yea, when I have the M-100, I'll definitely report on the sound unamped, w/E5, E11, and ZO2.

Feb 12, 2012 at 12:35 PM Post #228 of 23,366
I am hoping that Val himself will be able to report which portable amp works best beforehand.

I want to adjust the budget of these so I can know in advance if I need to pick up an e5-6 or an e11, heaven forbid an e17...

Feb 12, 2012 at 12:48 PM Post #229 of 23,366
From what I've heard, the e6 is a nice improvement over the e5 in both build and sound (keyword: heard. that is, from what people say).

But in the end we still don't know how Val intend the M-100's the be.. the initial dilemma of worse than M-80 unamped or whatnot, unless I just forgot a huge chunk of this thread.

Feb 12, 2012 at 5:32 PM Post #230 of 23,366
Maybe my ears are just sensitive. I would never buy another E5, the bass boost worked well but other than that it made all of my audio slightly grainy, and all of the included cabling gave out under light usage within 2 months. Purchased from Amazon, if anyone is having doubts. If I got one for free I would never use it, except perhaps to compensate for a splitter.

Feb 13, 2012 at 11:12 PM Post #231 of 23,366
Man I wish I had the M-100's next week. Having to get a root canal done it would have been great to listen to my music while all gassed up goofy. Yes, of course I play Brain Damage + Eclipse while under.

Val if you do not mind me asking, aside from wanting to know what type of portable amp would do proficiently well with the M-100's, have you decided as to what type of finish you tend to have on the M-100's? I think Matte would look nice since it does not leave any fingerprints and whatnot, but if you plan on keeping the original style of the M-80's that's also fine. Its a matter of preference but nothing that is going to make an actual concern regarding my wanting of the M-100's.

Feb 14, 2012 at 4:55 AM Post #232 of 23,366
About the M-100 needing an amp or not, why not make multiple versions like Beyerdynamic does for their DT-770, 880 and 990 line?
Let's say, one for portable use, tuned for iDevices or other handheld devices destined for the consumer and the other for us, the niche market, the audiophiles that dares to spend $300 on portable headphone amps or cables.
Other than that though, I can't wait what V-Moda has in store for us.

Feb 14, 2012 at 5:10 AM Post #233 of 23,366

Quote:
About the M-100 needing an amp or not, why not make multiple versions like Beyerdynamic does for their DT-770, 880 and 990 line?
Let's say, one for portable use, tuned for iDevices or other handheld devices destined for the consumer and the other for us, the niche market, the audiophiles that dares to spend $300 on portable headphone amps or cables.
Other than that though, I can't wait what V-Moda has in store for us.

Stratification generally requires more money and the like. It's not an optimal solution. Doesn't the M-80 fulfill a lot of that though? 

Feb 14, 2012 at 8:44 AM Post #234 of 23,366
If you're ok with tiny headphones with no swivel cups and brutal clamping force that it seems a lot of people are unhappy with the combination of, I suppose...

Quote:
Stratification generally requires more money and the like. It's not an optimal solution. Doesn't the M-80 fulfill a lot of that though? 

Feb 14, 2012 at 11:15 AM Post #235 of 23,366
Well, I have a 2XL head and V80. V80s' cups are big enough to sit on my ears and provide decent/good bass, although I would appreciate swiveling cups. I do not find the clamping force "brutal". I did spend quite some time to bend the headband to conform to my head/ears, after bending they sit comfortably.  

Quote:
If you're ok with tiny headphones with no swivel cups and brutal clamping force that it seems a lot of people are unhappy with the combination of, I suppose...

Feb 14, 2012 at 1:29 PM Post #236 of 23,366
Dropped by the LA office the other week for a warranty repair thing, somehow the plastic on a cup was cracked at the hinge area.  The office is nice, even saw someone walking down the street right outside w/ LP's.
Can't wait to hear how M-100 sounds, if they turn out to have more pronounced mids and highs might sell my LP2.  I'd like an M-100 that sounds great without a amp and even better with an amp to bring out it's full potential, that's how I feel about my PRO 900.

edit: Found out that V-MODA is out of stock on the LP2 I won't be getting my replacement until they get more.  Sadly I'm without my LP2 for a while for portable use gotta use my HFI-580, not as portable for my taste.

Feb 16, 2012 at 3:09 AM Post #237 of 23,366

Quote:
Dropped by the LA office the other week for a warranty repair thing, somehow the plastic on a cup was cracked at the hinge area.  The office is nice, even saw someone walking down the street right outside w/ LP's.
Can't wait to hear how M-100 sounds, if they turn out to have more pronounced mids and highs might sell my LP2.  I'd like an M-100 that sounds great without a amp and even better with an amp to bring out it's full potential, that's how I feel about my PRO 900.

edit: Found out that V-MODA is out of stock on the LP2 I won't be getting my replacement until they get more.  Sadly I'm without my LP2 for a while for portable use gotta use my HFI-580, not as portable for my taste.

They'll be back in a few days, hold tight!  Wait until our new labs and custom assembly areas are fully upgraded, they are coming along nicely and we'll have photos/videos soon!  We may even USTREAM building and testing some headphones, and artist visits as we are near a lot of studios in Hollywood.

-v

Feb 16, 2012 at 7:13 AM Post #239 of 23,366

Quote:
Is there going to be a True Blood version of the M-100 (a V-100)?

Of course not! It will be a Game of Thrones version, called the G-100 
biggrin.gif

Feb 16, 2012 at 8:03 AM Post #240 of 23,366

Quote:
They'll be back in a few days, hold tight!  Wait until our new labs and custom assembly areas are fully upgraded, they are coming along nicely and we'll have photos/videos soon!  We may even USTREAM building and testing some headphones, and artist visits as we are near a lot of studios in Hollywood.

-v

I haveto admit you impress me. At the moment I own Denon D2000, and I'm resisting the urge to splurge on AKG Q701s and Ultrasone HFI-780's, however if the M100 is portable, form factor of the LP2 and same sound as the M80 (plus a little clear bass) unamped and better when amped, I will definately buy a pair.
I dont need them, but the effort and love put into these cans... I dunno I admire it, and that alone is worthy of a purchase. The excellent quality and value is a hell of a bonus too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back